Author Topic: Very early Model 70 restoration  (Read 23497 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Very early Model 70 restoration
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2018, 10:33:10 PM »
Usually when anyone posts anything on this forum, there are at least 20 - 30 people who take a look to see what it is. We don't have a "like" button, and the forum is a lot quieter than it was back in its heyday 5-6 years ago, but I think the value of posting here can be judged by the fact that things posted on here appear shortly afterwards on Facebook even when the source isn't credited. The purpose of this forum is simply to share our knowledge and enthusiam for microcars, invalid carriages & other related conveyances and it still manages to do that thanks to postings like yours.

Cheers!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2018, 04:56:57 PM »
Thanks folks! I'll try and keep going then.

Split the engine and gearbox today.

I think I'm going to try and pull just the engine from my parts car, as where it's perched isn't ideal for trying to extract the entire running gear from below.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:19:52 AM by HubNut »

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
Spare engine is out. Bit of a game, as we decided to remove just the engine, which meant getting it out from above. Had to remove the casing as the engine is full of mouse detritus! Requires removal of a simply staggering number of bolts and screws.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2018, 10:50:08 AM »
I've taken to watching all of your Microcar related videos, and a few others to boot.
 I like your style and find your presentations to be humbly if not brutally entertaining, as they so accurately portray the many dramas required by performing even the most simple seeming mechanical tasks.

Your wife deserves honorable mention as best supporting actress in your Invacar engine lift that looked too much like a precursor to a crusifixion.
Perhaps the application of a really good penetrating oil, like Aerokroil for a few days in advance of the really difficult  extraction of your original engine's distributor, along with some prudent tapping and application of the principle that something round that needs to come out must be made to rotate before pulling axially, would have prevented the application of violence that ruined that engine.
We must be especially gentle but persistent to get these types of jobs done on these little wonders, as they are more delicate, and there is a dwindling supply of spares.
Looking forward to seeing more of your honest and interesting videos, including a drive in your Invacar quite shortly.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:51:56 AM by steven mandell »

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2018, 10:14:12 PM »
Thanks!

Second engine's dizzy has had many applications of penetrating oil, and I tried heat the other night. It really isn't interested in shifting, so I'm just going to leave it. I believe the ignition timing to be near enough ok. I will fit new points, as the ones fitted are suspect, so hopefully I can control the timing that way if necessary (albeit only slightly by altering the gap).

Engine parts not in particularly short supply, as so much is shared with the Steyr-Puch Haflinger. That's a major bonus, as the engine needs new lower plates, as they have rotted away on both engines. Haflinger Technik have been a great help.

Gearbox is back in. Hoping to get the engine in tomorrow morning, then plumb everything back in and hope for the best...

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »
Was trying to get the new engine in today, but sadly a transmission mount broke up.

I'm hoping this is a fairly standard part. Any idea where I might find one?

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2018, 12:43:27 PM »
And here's the mount.

Put the part number into Google and only one company came up. They had three on the shelf, so I've ordered two of them.

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2018, 01:09:08 PM »
Put the part number into Google and only one company came up. They had three on the shelf, so I've ordered two of them.

::)  Oh, if only microcar parts were always like that ...

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 01:36:11 PM »
Great!
Secret to success with getting the distributer to rotate is to have the right product, and then some patience.
Try ordering the Aerokroil ("the oil that creeps into spaces literally one millionth of an inch wide").
Then put a few drops on the interface with about one minute of non destructive tapping as if trying to get the piece to ring, every time you walk by it for several days.
Also give it a good tugging, or better yet tapping in both directions of rotation, just shy of the point of creating any destructive effect, at least once a day.
I'll bet you get it turning within a week of the above.
It's worked for me on a 4 barrel carburetor spindle left after being degreased inside of it's close fitting carburetor body for 30 years.   I had beat on the spindle tab for hours, to the point that I became worried that I wouldn't be able to reshape the tab correctly if I continued.
3 days of Aerokroil, with a ringing like fast tapping for about a minute each time, and on the fourth day I thought that I was hallucinating that it budged.
Five minutes more of tapping and turning restored it to it's design parameter of ease of rotational motion with zero slop.   Mission successful!

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
Thanks for that. I may well give it a try.

In the meantime, the replacement transmission mounts have arrived. Check out the label!

They have one left in stock. The second one didn't have the cool label.
https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/dunlop-metalastick-rubber-mounting-sty327.html

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2018, 10:51:21 AM »
Well, it's been a while coming, but I've finally had my first, terrifying drive!

Had a blockage in the carb to deal with, but she's now running pretty well.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2018, 11:33:33 AM »
Remember.............. just after you put your right hoof through the floor, the brakes are actually applied by pushing down on the handlebars.  In an emergency this is not always to first reaction.  ;D

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »
Ha! Funny you should say that. I was recording video of the first drive and caught myself going for the brake pedal. This is going to take some getting used to. Thankfully, I have a decent bit of driveway to practice on.

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2018, 03:00:31 PM »

Model70

• Occasional
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2018, 06:52:47 PM »
Great stuff! Good to see the updates again.

Hope the manual was helpful.

Didnt see any mention on the vids (might have missed it) but did you renew the clutch? I probably need a new one in my car so would welcome any pointers where to get one!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:13:27 PM by Model70 »
1973 Model 70 built by Invacar