Author Topic: Very early Model 70 restoration  (Read 23508 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Very early Model 70 restoration
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 09:38:39 PM »
Dear Steve

Snow is very common in Wales. Unlike some parts of California.

They also have big tractors that use the country roads, along with their trucks and Land Rovers.

The snow on the roads gets compacted into ice, which takes longer to thaw than the un-compacted  snow in the fields. Also in the shadow of the trees and hedges the sun does not fall on the snow to help it melt so quickly.

Life is one long learning experience.

Chris Thomas

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2018, 08:55:25 AM »
Yes, it's the fluffier cold version of the wet stuff, that makes the mud flow in the burn areas, that except for the last few days we so rarely see here.
Judging by the lesser amount of it seen beyond the stand of trees, it seems that our trusty editor has solved the mystery of it's prolonged predominance on your roadway.
But am I correct in inferring that the usual traveller on this road directs his vehicle to straddle the mid line of it's long axis when encountering the white peril, or not being challenged into a game of chicken by an oncoming driver?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 09:08:02 AM by steven mandell »

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2018, 01:53:04 PM »
On a narrow country road, most vehicles do indeed "head down the middle", until an oncoming vehicle is encountered. Snow or no snow!

It makes steering and vision easier.

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2018, 11:00:05 PM »
Indeed. It's a single-track road. Which made it fun when I met a tractor...

Sorry for radio silence. Not a lot to report really. Have been battling oil leaks and now the brake master cylinder seems to be leaking. This is why I wanted plenty of time to give it a shakedown before trying to drive it 170 miles in July...

Cannot get it to run completely cleanly. It'll run well, then I'll ease off the throttle, and then it won't want to give full throttle again. Feels like fuel starvation, so I think I'm going to have to have the carburettor off for a proper look.

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2018, 10:38:47 PM »
I think I'm getting somewhere...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uJyJp8Iamg

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 06:32:10 PM »
Great performance, although I would not recommend you trying out the 82 m.p.h. top speed.
That one bump you encountered at less than half that speed seemed upsetting enough for the single front wherled trike.

Why does the exhaust manifold blend into the intake manifold?
Is there some sort of preheat going on there?
Makes it appear a bit confusing, as I have seen 4 cylinder Stehr Puchs with a flat layout.
Some go up to near the maximum Microcar limit of 700cc and at 675 cc are definitely of a sporty bent in the rear engine Fiat (500-600cc) platform.
To make things more complex, some of the Fiat engines in the 500 series were two and some were four cylinder also.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:33:48 PM by steven mandell »

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »
Yes, carb pre-heat. Bit odd really.

The Steyr-Puch engine was only flat four I thought. Haflingers are 643cc and still twin - it's those engines that allow 82mph. A terrifying prospect.

Main difficulty in the Invacar is how direct the steering is. You daren't sneezed at 60! I imagine a 'Schmitt might be similar. Can't say I've had the pleasure.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2018, 05:37:12 PM »
Haflinger is the same engine just bigger cc.  Higher compression. Bigger carb.  Some of these engines ended up in model 50's.  I have been told that they had a restricted plate across the inlet at the carb joint. Easy to remove.  Also Invacars timing was often set at TDC to reduce power.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2018, 06:27:38 PM »
That would be taking a Tiger by it's tail!
How many h.p. could they achieve by eliminating the intended restrictions?
Too bad the TG's used the already antiquated 20 h.p. garden tractor motors that they did.
This engine in it's 4 wheeled lighter chassis would have made for a more startling and competent super micro.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »
I think the standard 500 cc model 70 engine is about 19bhp.  The 650 Haflinger is about 38bhp.  That would be quite useful.

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2018, 05:08:24 PM »
Interesting. I've had the carburettor off and didn't spot any restrictor. Maybe I'll have another look.

Getting the carb off allowed me to clean out the jets and passageways, and it's a different machine now. I've turned up the idle a bit and it sounds so much better. Now driving it as often as I can and it feels better with every drive. Gets plenty of attention too!

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2018, 10:49:12 AM »
Had an attempt at a 0-60mph test. Well, two attempts...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOex8a6VJ4A

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2018, 11:57:44 AM »
If you take an Invacar to Two Hoots Tea Room in Devil's Bridge, mid-Wales, I can confirm that the welcome is quite good, as is the parking.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2018, 05:57:07 PM »
Love your photos of TWC roaming around  Rhayader and Devil's Bridge areas of Wales. In the 1990s that was the holiday area that I used to take my Mum. A lovely area to just ride around in my car to see all the lovely views. As I live in Polegate, East Sussex it took hours to get to the holiday bungalow.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:03:58 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

HubNut

• Chatty
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2018, 05:38:05 PM »
Thanks. It's a gorgeous part of the world, and the weather has been stunning for two weeks!