Author Topic: Ligier for Sale  (Read 11329 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Ligier for Sale
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 06:09:40 PM »
Barry,
Thanks for another couple of hours of entertaining, but still confusing video and blog posts.
That first video in your last post does show another example of a two holed intake manifold either sandwhitching
a four holed Reed valve, or mounted to a four holed cylinder flange.
Unfortunately I don't  understand anything of the French language.
Does anyone else reading this understand French speaking?
If you do, I'd appreciate you telling us what the speaker in the video is saying, as it appears that he is explaining exactly this question that we are trying to answer.
I will appreciate any help from Rumcars readers.
Thanks,
Steve

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 10:23:23 AM »
Surprised with France so close to your border that no one has yet volunteered a synopsis of what the French guy was saying about the intake in the video that you posted.
However, Jonathan came home and offered the following response to some of my questions:

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 10:58:49 AM »
Very useful.

You need to become an expert in the differences between an AV7, AV10 and 99Z engine.

It is one thing to decide on a selection of parts for the power end of the engine - Carb, manifold, reed valve, barrel (cc), head etc.  It is another thing trying to make sure the Ligier ring-gear for starter motor and transmission all fit.

The earlier photo of my Supercomtesse barrel and carb is misleading in that there is no forced air cooling.  Just a scoop under the car.  The ligier has a full shroud around the barrel so may not need the big fin cooling.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:01:14 AM by Barry »

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
The fully shrouded fan cooling offered in the Ligier set up is why I am considering the cheaper Air Sol kits that are offered in both 70 cc and "74" cc versions with smaller fins than the much more expensive Malasi  kit .
The Malasi  kit looks to be better engineered, but apparently has a huge exhaust port that no available exhaust will bolt up to, and either would not fit within the shroud, or much more likely than with the air Sol kits, the much larger fins would block the proper airflow within the shroud, thus making over heating much more, rather than less likely.
Do the Air Sol kits look like they could interfere with the location of the ring gear?

Would love to talk to anyone with experience using either of these kits to find out what is truly involved, and what results can be expected.   But much more likely to find this on a moped forum or through a club.
Do you have any leads in regard to this?

I found a resource online that lists different moprd engine setups followed by a space for very subjective commentary.
It even gives the names of the people that authored the info- but frustratingly, no contact info. 
This sort of endeavor is in need of a  very thorough discussion prior to making a most qualified decision as to desirable options to exploit.
So I am stuck in the mud until I can talk to individuals that have used these kits.
Still nobody that understands French has bothered to watch the video you sent in a few posts ago?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2018, 12:53:21 PM »

Barry

• Prolific Poster

Danholmes

• Just Starting
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
Seemed nice enough, especially as it was the better looking 4 headlight model instead of the still good looking JS8 that followed it in production.
Sold for 2,240 GBP also seemed fair enough considering the overall condition.
As  the ad said, no structural rust, but I do see the lower door corners have begun to stain through from the devil's worm starting to feed there.
 They are well engineered , but made of very thin metal, so can literally be dented with a vigorous pressing of one's thumb.  So finding one undented is unlikely.
The reason for the thinness of the metal was to try to keep the wieght down, as that pretty, but very large green house comes at the expense of greater wieght.  The measure was but partly successful, as these cars are a bit over wieght for their 49cc engines. 
This produces the irony of well engineered, independently suspended product of a Formula One manufacturer, that was one of the slowest in top speed for the entire Sans Permis class.
I've heard that 20 mph is about all that they are good for.

Pity, all that excellent engineering not being propelled to more worthy limits.
I've often wondered how easy it might be to fit one of the more modern two cylinder 22 h.p. units under the seat and just run the belt from that unit's infinitely variable trans to the existent drive pulley on the JS4 , or JS8, as the case could be.
Steve Fisk- are you reading this?
Could be an economical and exciting reconversion for the 13 converted to electric JS8's that sold so cheaply a couple of years ago.  Especially when one considers that the superiorly powerful power plants that came in the later model Sans Permis cars can be had quite cheaply.  I've seen them advertised for just a couple hundred pounds.  Probably because the cars that they came in would be worth so little compared to the cost of repair to their delicate bodies in the event of even a minor collision, or visit from the tin worm, and the engines being of such compact nature that many of them can be so easily stowed in a relatively small space.

Plastic wheel arches are also fragile, hence often found to be missing.
I would sure appreciate it if someone  were to offer  repros, or at least allow a mold to be made so that they could be properly cast in glass fiber.  I need a set of four.  Hopefully all four are cast identically, so only one spat would need to be borrowed for service.
Kind of surprised if there isn't any one in a Ligier club somewhere in France who hasn't yet taken up this enterprise, as between the two models that appear  to have utilized them, I believe that there were more than 10,000 cars made.   So probably thousands of spats needed  by now.

I have 4x wings and 2 bumpers for a js6 if that would be any good to you ?.
I know its a bit late but you never know

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 05:16:29 PM »
Seemed nice enough, especially as it was the better looking 4 headlight model instead of the still good looking JS8 that followed it in production.
Sold for 2,240 GBP also seemed fair enough considering the overall condition.
As  the ad said, no structural rust, but I do see the lower door corners have begun to stain through from the devil's worm starting to feed there.
 They are well engineered , but made of very thin metal, so can literally be dented with a vigorous pressing of one's thumb.  So finding one undented is unlikely.
The reason for the thinness of the metal was to try to keep the wieght down, as that pretty, but very large green house comes at the expense of greater wieght.  The measure was but partly successful, as these cars are a bit over wieght for their 49cc engines. 
This produces the irony of well engineered, independently suspended product of a Formula One manufacturer, that was one of the slowest in top speed for the entire Sans Permis class.
I've heard that 20 mph is about all that they are good for.

Pity, all that excellent engineering not being propelled to more worthy limits.
I've often wondered how easy it might be to fit one of the more modern two cylinder 22 h.p. units under the seat and just run the belt from that unit's infinitely variable trans to the existent drive pulley on the JS4 , or JS8, as the case could be.
Steve Fisk- are you reading this?
Could be an economical and exciting reconversion for the 13 converted to electric JS8's that sold so cheaply a couple of years ago.  Especially when one considers that the superiorly powerful power plants that came in the later model Sans Permis cars can be had quite cheaply.  I've seen them advertised for just a couple hundred pounds.  Probably because the cars that they came in would be worth so little compared to the cost of repair to their delicate bodies in the event of even a minor collision, or visit from the tin worm, and the engines being of such compact nature that many of them can be so easily stowed in a relatively small space.

Plastic wheel arches are also fragile, hence often found to be missing.
I would sure appreciate it if someone  were to offer  repros, or at least allow a mold to be made so that they could be properly cast in glass fiber.  I need a set of four.  Hopefully all four are cast identically, so only one spat would need to be borrowed for service.
Kind of surprised if there isn't any one in a Ligier club somewhere in France who hasn't yet taken up this enterprise, as between the two models that appear  to have utilized them, I believe that there were more than 10,000 cars made.   So probably thousands of spats needed  by now.

I have 4x wings and 2 bumpers for a js6 if that would be any good to you ?.
I know its a bit late but you never know   IF THE 'WINGS" REFERS TO THE NARROW (PLASTIC/ COMPOSITE?) FENDER LINERS THAT ROUND OUT THE WHEEL HOUSINGS A BIT- Yes they would be of interest to me.
Please let me know.
[i]On my way to unload a 40 footer filled with interesting micros and unusuals arriving from your homeland just now.
More than a bit scary as i have spent much of the last week building a ramp to level out the unloading from the meter and a half high perch of the 18 wheeler chassis that the container sits on.[/i]
 Steve

Interesting twin cylinder diesel in the JS6

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ligier-JS6-Interesting-French-F1-manufacturer-micro-car-project/273011034390?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Interesting twin cylinder diesel in the JS6

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ligier-JS6-Interesting-French-F1-manufacturer-micro-car-project/273011034390?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 05:33:53 PM by steven mandell »