Author Topic: Bond Mini wheel hubs  (Read 3144 times)

imalc

• Just Starting
Bond Mini wheel hubs
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:53:35 PM »
I have two rear suspension units from a 1950’s Bond mini and I’m wanting to remove the wheel hubs, they have a large alloy nut (what looks like a dust cover) are these handed threads or how do I remove them without damaging them. I would be grateful if anybody can help

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
Re: Bond Mini wheel hubs
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 07:32:45 AM »
They're not handed: both sides will unscrew anticlockwise.

Bond did sell a big tube spanner tool (the other end adjusts the steering head), but few owners now have that.

It’s easier to unscrew the hubs with the units still on the car (the car holds them still for you :) ) but it should be possible on the bench, as there's no reason for the cap nut to be very tight - it's the castellated nut inside that holds the wheel on.

I don't have an adjustable spanner big enough, so on mine I use a vice, screwed up to "bite" onto the cap nut, then use a bar to turn the vice.

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:52:07 PM »
on the none speedo drive side the castle nut is held with a split pin - on the speedo drive side the axle nut is held via a 'D' washer it is advisable to fit new pins/washers (like wise circlips to the piston once these have been removed)

1. Hub axle nut with split pin.
2. old and New hub .

finally defeating the object -Redcar sound mirror

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 01:06:25 PM »
Plas Man,
Thanks for the great pics.
Little unclear about the English speak though:
Which piston pins are you referring to- engine , brake cylinder, master, or something else?
What the heck is a Red car sound mirror?
Any relationship to the radio in the second pic?

Come to think of it, this is a topic that should have been in the purview of Hub Nut. ::)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:08:04 PM by steven mandell »

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
fit new split pin and D washer to rear sub axle to stop axle nut from loosening.
hi Steve ,

if you should remove the piston from the crankshaft connecting rod fit new circlips , many owners have re-fitted the old circlips and they are prone to come adrift and leave a nasty score down the cylinder barrel .

the sound mirror was built by the British government to warn of approaching enemy aircraft during the 1st world war , my home town Redcar has a surviving grade 1 listed sound mirror - now in the heart of a housing estate that was once a WW1  airfield .
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjL68mcr7_ZAhUC_aQKHfT8CBYQFggnMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.andrewgrantham.co.uk%2Fsoundmirrors%2F&usg=AOvVaw2GkGZGaPi5xoOtMwHol3gn

and the only nut here is myself for owning the Bond for over 51 years  8) , the radio is purely for entertainment .

Alan