Author Topic: The Archive of Microcars  (Read 4625 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
The Archive of Microcars
« on: March 12, 2018, 11:42:06 AM »
Dear Rumcar Forum Followers

I am pleased to announce that The Archive of Microcars is now a fully fledged Charity and registered with the Charity Commission.

This means that all of the Rumcar sections, of The Register, the web site and Forum, The archive and the Magazine will now all be managed under the new charitable organisation The Archive of Microcars.

This means that we can safely plan for the next 35 years the work that was started by Jean and Edwin Hammond.

Where as Rumcar has been run on the good will of friends, a ball of string, and fresh air, now we will be able to collect charitable donations and organise the management of Rumcar around the world into the digital age.

You will be hearing a lot more about the Archive of Microcars in the months and years to come, so keep your ears open.

Chris Thomas
Chair person of the Trustees of The Archive of Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: The Archive of Microcars
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:45:10 AM »
Thats quite an achievement Chris and I would image the result of a lot of time and effort on yours and Jeans part. Well done. I'm not totally clear on what impact this will all have on rumcars but I'm sure it will be beneficial. I hope none of its informal friendly nature will be lost
I dont think anyone is picking up this information here though, There is a Hammond collection FB page that is visited by many. Why not post it there too?
Again, well done to all involved.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:40:18 PM »
Dear Bob

Thank you for your reply

We have an information roll out that starts with the Forum, followed by Rumcar News, followed by the Hammond Collection facebook page, followed by the UK one make registers and clubs, followed by the Rest of the world clubs, etc etc.

Like all things we have to start somewhere and certain things like Rumcar News have deadline and publication dates, which are set, while others can be slotted in almost at any time.

Now that the Archive of Microcars has been established, it will slowly gain momentum, rather than rushed at and run out of steam and enthusiasm. It has taken 35 years to reach where we are now, and keeping it going as closely to the model that we have all come to know is what we would like to achieve. However being a charity places certain duties and obligations on us that will mean we have to do things slightly differently, like fund raising, and making decisions as a board of trustees rather than as individuals.

As the small band of trustees are all voluntary we have to do things at the pace of the slowest person, which often is me. For anybody interested in helping us grow, please make contact.

Watch this space

Chris Thomas
Chair Person of the Trustees of the Archive of Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 05:22:34 PM »
Dear Chair man. That all makes sense. The news has already been posted on the Classic Microcars FB site with some positive comments so far.
I wait with keen anticipation to see how it develops.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 06:57:02 PM »
Dear Bob

Thank you very much for re-posting my item on the Classic Microcar Facebook Page and spreading the word.

Keep up the good work

Chris Thomas
etc.etc.etc.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »
Dear All

I am pleased to inform you all that the new Archive of Microcar store facility building was installed yesterday 18 July 2019 at School House Farm, in time for everybody to see it at the Hammond Collection Weekend.
Now we have the building we need to install the electrics and aircon and entrance steps and storage cabinets before we can move any documents in. Plenty more to do and more donations needed.

I will post an image when I can work out how to do it.

Chris Thomas
The Archive of Microcars

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 06:24:31 PM »
Hi All

Since July things have moved on apace. We now have a fully insulated, air tight and water tight building, with electrics, lighting, and air conditioning so we can control the storage environment. We have kitted out the inside with banks of filing cabinets and shelving and we are just about to start the move of documents from their existing location into the new facility.

Once in all the documents will be counted and filed away ready for cataloguing which will start in 2020. Mainly due to needing funds to do the work. If you have any bright ideas for fund raising, we are always willing to listen.

I hope this has been of assistance.

Chris Thomas
The Archive of Microcars