Author Topic: The Future of RUMCAR NEWS  (Read 29110 times)

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
Re: The Future of RUMCAR NEWS
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 10:10:09 PM »
The concensus seems to be to go for an increase in subs and risk the ire of a few rather than to reduce the quality of the magazine.  I'm wholly behind these sentiments and in agreement with Barchetta and P50 - even though I disagree with the latter's comment on Tuk Tuks!  Fascinating vehicles... 

Tony does a superb job with the magazine and is in a very enviable position with enough copy to fill each issue: a tribute to the readership's enthusiasm for the Register, surely.

With Bromley Pageant a week away if a flyer could be cobbled together in time for me to run off a few copies at work I'm sure I could find a few windscreens to decorate!

Nick D.

Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2006, 02:07:58 PM »
I would be prepared to pay more for more of the same. I always look forward to the next issue and the wealth of knowledge it contains. Tony has to be one of the best editors in the microcar club scene (and I subscibe to a few) as he is able to keep things fresh and interesting.
Personally I don't have any intest in Tuk-Tuks but I accept others might well be. I have no doubt Tony is greatful for any contributions that ease the load on being an editor. The idea of reviewing modern microcars is great. After all, the club has no set aim of being "vintage" exclusive. Perhaps the next microcar hayday will soon be forced upon us by fuel pricing - much as the last one was. From a Club perspective perhaps broadening the appeal of microcars in general would encourage the owners of modern vehicles to join our membership.
Don't get me wrong, all my cars are from the 50's to the 70's and that is where my heart lies but our motoring industry is littered with examples of manufacturers that did not evolve for one reason or other and perhaps the club should not tie itself too much in the past either.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2006, 03:19:14 AM »
.... perhaps the club should not tie itself too much in the past either. 

its not a Club.

now that I've said that, my perspective is that you should consider charging overseas a bit more.
I'm sure I will get slapped for that, but those of us overseas that already subscribe and do so via PayPal are already willing to pay more than a "normal" subscription for information and news that we can't get in the States (and elsewhere).
I'm not a wealthy person, but I have my vices and one of them is RUMCAR NEWS.

How much does this postal increase amount to anyways?

Perhaps it is time for me to organize another "bulk buy" of subscriptions.....

Jim Janecek
editor
MICROCAR NEWS
The Vintage Microcar Club
www.microcar.org

Neil Hoskins

• Just Starting
  • NoJags Neil
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »
Actually, I think I must have overlooked paying my subscription because I don't think I got the summer issue.  I'm printing-off a subscription form as I speak.  I'd just like to add my tuppence-worth as a counter to the people who are only interested in the 'old' stuff.  I'm actually primarily interested in the newer stuff and, yes, tuk-tuks and other things that are of interest around the world.  (I actually had a ride in a tuktuk for the first time on holiday in Egypt recently:  fantastic!)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2006, 11:42:13 PM »
I am a little late to this topic but have been thinking about it a lot and feel that the scope of the magazine is unique and fulfills a very important part in the recorded history of motoring, in not just the UK but around the world. The fact that the magazine is a separate entity to the Register would would make a name change logical ( to say Microcar and Quadricycle news) and possibly benificial to the spread and acceptance of the magazine to a larger audience. A freshen up of the layout with a good balance of news, features, opinion and items for sale, will make for a magazine that will be a collectors item of the future.

I think Tony is doing a great job especially as he does it almost single handedly and does not get enough praise, but with more content there is a limit to his time and I feel we should all be helping him more.

As far as the cost goes, I would like to see the content grow, so I would be prepared to pay a little more. But I do think that alternatives should be considred like avoiding printing and postage altogether. For those of us who have internet access and a colour printer there could be an email based subscription with pages in pdf format that we could print out from our computer. Sending out 100 emails world wide would be a very cost effective distribution method. The pdf page layout could be linked to the web site for the feature articles, after say 1 year, to build up a bank of reasearch material, so building up the web site content.

I am sure that with a little head scratching we could come up with a lot of good positive ideas.

Keep up the good work Jean and Tony. and as always I look forward to the next edition.

Chris Thomas

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »
In response to Chris's comments there are two points I would like to make.  Whilst people who Register their cars do not have to buy the magazine, it is nevertheless the voice of the Register, hence I for one would not like to see is divorced from the Register by changing its name.
The second point is not all peole have computers and colour printers yet and it would mean a two tier system if we sent them out by email because we would still have to despatch nearly half in hard copies.  I have suggested that we send out the complimentary copies which go to most microcar clubs and some national magazines by email but neither Tony or I know how to!  It would certainly reduce those costs and maybe we could  even send out to more of the national press and gain extra publicity.  Please can we have some help with tis part of the project.

Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Neil Hoskins

• Just Starting
  • NoJags Neil
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2006, 01:29:26 PM »
...send out the complimentary copies which go to most microcar clubs and some national magazines by email but neither Tony or I know how to!  It would certainly reduce those costs and maybe we could  even send out to more of the national press and gain extra publicity.  Please can we have some help with tis part of the project...

What format is the newsletter compiled in before it is printed?  The obvious format to send out as you describe would be as PDF.  OpenOffice is free, can read many different document formats, and can export to PDF.  Feel free to contact me by email to discuss.  neil@goghroad.net

inacoma

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2006, 05:49:46 PM »
Hi Jean

I am a new member of Rumcars, I have recently received my new copy of the mag and a selection of 8 of the older back copies.

I would like to say that I think the magazine is better now than it was in previous years, the pictures text and content all look better quality and with the improvement of colour pictures it helps to give more info (especialy to newer members who don't know the cars so well ).

In any club you will always find some of the longer established members have already read a lot of the info and feel the value needs to be questioned, whilst new members are hungry for everything they can get, and appreciate more pages and colour.

I would just like to sugest that when you name the previous months mystery car a very small picture would be useful, as you don't always read the mags in order and if you are new they all are a mystery.

Keep up the good work.

best wishes

John

inacoma

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »
Hi Jean

I am a new member of Rumcars, I have recently received my new copy of the mag and a selection of 8 of the older back copies.

I would like to say that I think the magazine is better now than it was in previous years, the pictures text and content all look better quality and with the improvement of colour pictures it helps to give more info (especialy to newer members who don't know the cars so well ).

In any club you will always find some of the longer established members have already read a lot of the info and feel the value needs to be questioned, whilst new members are hungry for everything they can get, and appreciate more pages and colour.

I would just like to sugest that when you name the previous months mystery car a very small picture would be useful, as you don't always read the mags in order and if you are new they all are a mystery.

Keep up the good work.

best wishes

John

inacoma

Re: Your website
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 10:28:40 PM »
Hi Toni

Just had a look at your great website.

I have never seen these cars before.

Brilliant.

A good tip for new members, go to the list of members and have a look at the websites that some members have, you will find info and links to cars you never new existed.

john

witney44

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2007, 08:52:05 AM »
Also look at the Rum Car page. There is a link to join Rum Cars and pay by Pay Pal. ;D

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2007, 11:39:53 AM »
Hi everyone

Most of the replies seem to be in favour of keeping the current high standard and paying more for it.
I'm more than happy to do this for what is a great quality mag full of interesting stuff and very well
put together.

Raising the profile of the Register and making enthusiasts aware of the existence of the mag by fliers
is a good idea. A photocopied flier slipped under the wipers of a car of which the owner might be a
potential member at classic car events could go some way to increase membership.  

The Classic Camper Club runs a competition with a prize for the member who recruits the most newcomers
to the Club in the year.  The membership form has a question "How did you hear about the Club?" and the
recruiter with the most mentions wins the prize.  It doesn't have to be a big prize - maybe a year's subscription
or a voucher to be used against a Club Bookshop purchase (or regalia!) would hit the spot.

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2007, 06:33:30 PM »
Good idea Nick about a prize to the person who recruits the most new members.  I will up date the subscription for accordingly.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2007, 09:05:26 PM »
On the signing up of members subject here, I've just been looking the I.C.R satistics. Last year  I had 29 "new" conveyances come to light and I handed out 35 RUM membership forms. I think it was something like 5 or 7 conveyances that were actully put on the RUM register during the year, therefore chances are that was 5 or 7 new members via the I.C.R. (Jean?) So far this year I've handed out 10 membership forms already, but then I'm also starting to attract a whole new fan base with the Mini-Comtesse......

inacoma

Re: Promo stuff
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2007, 09:07:41 PM »
Hi

I know that Jean has copys of fliers etc. but I have also done some on the computer.

They are 8 on an A4 sheet.

Anyone who would like a copy in word to put in their computer email me and I can send you an attatchment, so that you can print off as many as you need.

They are writable so that you can put your name on them as the person who intoduced the club, or you can leave that bit blank if you are shy.

vandjjohnson@aol.com

John