Author Topic: Police on Threewheelers !  (Read 3626 times)

witney44

Police on Threewheelers !
« on: June 20, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »
Police could soon be patrolling on three-wheeled scooters, following the launch of a new electric vehicle.

The machine - known as the T3 personal mobility vehicle - is designed to allow officers to cover a greater amount of ground during patrols so more members of the public feel reassured by a police presence.

Unveiled in Britain for the first time at the Association of Chief Police Officers' annual conference in Manchester, the T3 has a top speed of 25mph and a range of more than 20 miles.

T3 Motion managing director Noel Cherowbrier said several forces had already said they want to test the vehicle on British streets.
He said: "It's very much in-your-face and certainly has the 'wow' factor, so people do remember it." And he added: "More people will get to see a police officer on his or her patrol because the vehicle has a range of 25 to 30 miles on one charge."

The T3 is equipped with a police siren and red and blue flashing lights, reminiscent of the futuristic robot car in cult TV show Knight Rider.

The European version will carry a £4,500 price tag but running costs will be about 20 pence a day.

Pc Colin Chamberlain of Greater Manchester Police, who became the first British officer to be photographed on a T3, said: "It's great. I have a vintage Vespa scooter at home and the controls are very similar and easy to use. It would be excellent to use in the city centre. It's nice and smooth and pretty nippy."

Mr Cherowbrier said more than 600 are already in use by United States police forces including Los Angeles, Dallas and Miami, where it is typically used to patrol shopping centres and airports.

The vehicle can turn on the spot and can easily mount kerbs and other obstacles, although it is not designed for use off road, he added.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 07:17:41 PM by witney44 »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Police on Threewheelers !
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:16:30 PM »
There are a growing number of cycle police in London. I suppose this might be a useful extra piece of kit, but not sure that it has any advantages over a push bike. A couple of weeks ago I saw a scooter on Old Kent Road. If anyone remembers the ones in the 70s and 80s which had 2 narrowly spaced back wheels on a pivoting/leaning subframe, then this would look familiar...except it had 2 FRONT wheels. Paul at Bracken M/cs in our yard thinks it is a Benelli or Italian anyway, and is a bit cynical. Maybe someone is soon going to invent a 2-3 seater car powered by a scooter or small m/c engine in the back, with perspex windows and a rounded shape! Radical.....!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:39:04 PM »
Its been done already. Take a look at the Moonbeam.....  (key in "Jory Squibb" on google and you'll find it.....)

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:50:09 PM »
...except it had 2 FRONT wheels.
It sounds like what you saw was a Piaggio MP3 - a reasonably conventional 250/400cc scooter but with tilting twin front wheels:

A motorcycle journalist I know has tried one out and is a definite fan - the MP3 is almost immune to losing the front wheels and as a result is substantially safer than a two-wheeler, which is its real competition.  It does have a tilt lock that can be applied as you slow down, so you don't have to put your feet down - as soon as you move off, it releases.

Andrew

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 08:49:01 PM »
Saw it, or another one again today, it looks good to me, especially as I have a fondness for 3 wlrs when they have 2 at the front, as do my Trojan and my  own Drum Car. Also today I saw a recumbent pedal trike (2 front wheels). These are fantastic, though like him, you should have a BIG flag to mark you in traffic. I think this was one of the racing ones made by a bike shop in Holborn. Do I want one? You bet. Can I afford one? Errr, well I think I might try to make my own, or win the lottery.
I have also spotted several 3 wheeler plastic children's scooters, also 2 fw. Perhaps the world is re-gaining some sanity. More new bubblecars and Morgans say I !
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face