Author Topic: RUMCAR NEWS 93 out now!  (Read 9376 times)

darrg

RUMCAR NEWS 93 out now!
« on: June 21, 2007, 11:35:50 AM »
Hardly a moment seems to have passed since the last one, but here it is ...

"In addition to the customary editorial, it has news, event details, items for sale and help wanted, letters from subscribers, and features large and small on Devonport Ligier JS4L; Zimp; The Car's the Star; Paul Vallee; Meister; Moving Microcars; Seen on eBay; Brooke cyclecar; Hungarians scooters and part 13 of the Resurrection of Gordon. There are also the regular pages on Frisky, A. C. Petite, Peel, Goggomobil, Nobel and Invalid Carriages, with much more besides."

You can subscribe by Paypal from anywhere in the world now, so there really is no excuse!

(The accompanying picture is sub-standard, I'm afraid, I'm away from my scanner for a couple of weeks!)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: RUMCAR NEWS 93 out now!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 04:47:38 PM »
  :D  :-*   Ooh goodie-gumdrops! (!) Only problem is, we've got a **********ing postal strike round here at the moment  >:(

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 06:52:37 PM »
I hope that everybody has received their copy of RCN93 before the national postal strike really bites.  I know that some of our American friends have received it safely.  What do you think of this issue? Please let Tony know, it is only from your letters and emails or posts on the Forum,  that he knows iif he is giving his customers what they want.  I also look forward to seeing some of you at the Farm Open Day with or without your car as per the rthe flier that was enclosed with it - please bring the sunshine!  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 07:09:13 PM »
odd that no one posts anything about "Bubblecar Museum For Sale" news blurb.

?????

I thought that was fairly interesting.   How often does a "Museum" come "on the market"?

perhaps everyone already knows about it and there is nothing to talk about.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 07:16:35 PM »
Recived my copy Saturday. As per usual, a rather good issue! A Chantechler, a Meister feature and another tale of moving microcars. All in the same issue. Oh you really are spoiling us Mr. Ambassidor..... More of the same please!  (rather good Peel page from P50 as well)

On a personal note, after almost seven years the micro world is still a world of wonder to me and I don't want that fact to be any differant in another seven years.

Controvesy time now;  You know, the more you look at it, the more it is clear to anyone that invalid carriages really are the bottom line of the entire micro movement. Just read the Meister article again for proof. And what sort of vehicle do we have to thank for being the reason why the trailer used by Tony in the '70s to save several rare & important micros was built in the first place.....       ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:41:50 PM »
Stuart, you dont have to keep justifying your devotion to invalid carrages, its important that someone documents their history and you are clearly the man for the job! I will say this though, there is no reason why you cant also enjoy the main stream microcars too, after all you are having fun with your comtesse are you not? You cant blame folk like myself for liking the non invalid cars more though, you can have so much more fun with them. Am I right in thinking that one can no longer use IC,s on the road or does that just apply to the DSS issued ones? This could explain why I have never seen one driven to a rally or on the organised run in recent years. You can love both IC's and microcars at the same time , remember, I also have an AC acedese! Im looking forward to my drive of your mini comtesse at the farm, remember, I asked first!

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 10:33:08 PM »
Thank you very much Captain

Cyphus for your kind words.

It would be interesting to see what subscribers think of my piece. They're not making any more 60's machines.  Let's face it,  the golden age of motoring was the late 50's - 60's where most of our (useable) contraptions originate.

There were plenty of UM's in the 70's so values were low.  But at we near another new decade we've come to realise that cars of the last 37 years (give or take a few choice bits) are fundamentally boring soulless mass produced junk.  

When you add extreme rarity coupled with fantastic styling then you get desirability.  We own antiques.  

I fear the rest of the world will catch up at some point and discover some amazing conveyances.    

Stewart came to Peel in '05 so I think we can say he has an interest in other micros.  We all like what we like.  

I.C.s don't wet my whistle. But nor do Bonds,Berkleys or Nobels.  I still enjoy reading about them though. I fear it was easy many years ago to acquire a fine collection of Bubbles for a a grand. That would include a TG500 and a Peel if you were lucky!   With prices high now and no new blood I feel the scene might actually engineer the eventual export of quite a few choice micros as time unfolds.  The word stalwart UK wise springs to mind.. Anyway we shall see..

RUM's a very fine read.  I hope Mr Hurn returns or we'll be sans a Peel update next quarter.  I happily formulate another if RUM's out on a limb. I'll let Tony decide..  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2007, 09:14:32 AM by P50 »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 10:20:06 PM »
ah! well that clears things up a bit.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 03:42:30 PM »
Stuart, you dont have to keep justifying your devotion to invalid carrages,

But suerly its my job to do that, as head of the I.C.R! ( ;) My general aims are to mention the things anywhere, anytime, and I still strive to get one on the front cover of RUM Car News!

As regards the using of a conveyance on the road these days. Things are still somewhat complex. A few years ago, when the Invalid Vehicle Service was still in existance, they did maintain the policy of never allowing a redundant (Ministry) vehicle to knowingly return to the road in private hands once they had finished with the vehicle. BUT, since late 2004, the department has no longer existed, and all staff moved on to other departments. Back in Febraury of this year, a contact of mine managed to trace the former head of the I.V.S and had a rather interesting chat with him.

Breifly, the Health services know that several "Ministry" vehicles slipped the net, but as the I.V.S no longer exists, there is nobody to bother about those vehicles anymore, therefore the Ministry wishes to wash their hands of the matter entierly and forget all about it. If someone has one of these vehicles and wishes to put it on the road, good luck to them, just do it completly by the book as regards the MoT test & the taxation catogory (NOT "disabled"!), and don't give us (the Ministry) any reason to HAVE to take notice of what you are doing.

Bear in mind though everyone, this was NOT AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT from either the Ministry or the I.C.R. It is still a vastly complex situation, and no legal yardstick has ever been establised at any time. Make of it what you will.....
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 03:44:08 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 07:27:48 PM »
Thats interesting, we might see some on the road after all!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 08:20:18 PM »
I think the new RCN is great, but then it always is. Still it is worth sometimes remembering to repeat the positive stuff because editors often only get feedback when there is a problem.
 I agree with P50 's views about rarity and value, and although I understand a seller's wish to get a good price, I do worry that a lot of historical objects, including micros, are migrating overseas to wealthy countries which largely ignored them when they were current.
I think that Smart cars are great fun to drive, and a very positive statement in this day of massive executive slaoons and 4WDs, and to me they are a brilliant updating of the bubble/micro, but with concessions to modern safety standards etc.
 Like others I am not greatly keen on I.C.s or cabin mopeds but they are historically important and I applaud Stuart's efforts to promote and inform. Do I want to drive Stuart's Acoma...of course!!However I am playing at Whitstable Festival on Saturday and may not be able to come in DUF, or possibly not at all, but I will do my best to get to the open day.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 07:40:23 PM »
Thank you very much Marcus. There's only a few machines rarer than a Peel. Some stuff is rare but unwanted which puts an odd slant on things.† Bond's will still be scrapped. Schmitt's won't.

Schmitt's are in relative terms common. In fact very common. One went on Ebay last week for £15k (280133082098 for those who are interested) . It was in my opinion overrestored but beauty's in the eye of the BeerHolder! People want Schmitts. They're cool and easy to own. (I think a Mk1 Scootacar is say 65% Trident and 35% Schmitt in usability to compare)

Collectors want Peels. And the Trident had 90 examples produed. With say 25 left we have a problem. The Trident is the grail. Totally forget it was £189 in '65. Someone with no interest in micros or even cars would want a Trident. Maybe not a P50. Just the Trident. A micro collector wants both Peels. A normal bloke who can see the iconic styling would love a UFO hanging in his penthouse Manhatton pad.

So if a KR's fetching the sums mentioned above then a Trident should and is without a doubt worth several multiples more. It has to be because it is more desireable and hugely rare. It's a force economics.

If a Ford Falcon GTHO Ozzy muscle car has just achieved £220k then I think we should all wake up.
-Benvenuto Cellini

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 10:16:24 PM »
Who wants a Gordon.  Styling disaster. Skip fodder.
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 10:17:01 PM »
I've studyed these last few posts for the last half hour now, & I find myself siding with Perry in this argument (but not with his quote directly above this one of mine). True, there are far less Gordon's around than Peels, but they are never going to be worth anywhere near as much as a Trident becuse, not to put too fine a point on things, the Gordon is quite frankly a downright hideus freak of the automotive world (and that reason is precisly why I love the Gordon). Most fair-weather general car buffs (and some so-called micro "fans" it must be said) would run away screaming from one.

On the other hand, the Peel Trident is almost certainly every schoolboys ideal of these things called "bubblecars". Everyone can tell what the Trident is meant to be, but they'll still be scratching their heads as to a Gordon long after the two-stroke fog has drifted away.And, as Perry also rather truefully points out, you drive a Trident through Carnaby Street and it screams "1960s" louder than if you had Mary Quaint passing through in a Mini Cooper sporting a Union Jack on the roof! We all know how "in" anything to do with the 1960s is at the moment, hence the proportinal desirability of a Trident to non-micro persons.

On a personal note, a lot of (non-micro) people I know fall about laughing at the sight of a Messerschmitt, but none of them have yet done so whilst looking at a picture of a Trident, even though they have no real idea of what it is. That  I would say is why the Peel Trident is worth so much more than just about any other micro around.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 10:25:55 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Dan Rodd

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 12:05:54 AM »
who wants a gordon?well,all the micro collectors have peels,none of them have a gordon!
in my view value has to be based partly to what use you could possibly get out of the vehicles,as(and im sure the rivet counters and
concours buffs will disagree)the main enjoyment of owning a micro is using it.on this basis the gordon wins over the peel.
the schmitt wins,as does most other micros.

The peel has just become an expensive trophy,defended greatly by those who own them for fear that their popularity will drop along with prices.