Author Topic: RUMCAR NEWS 93 out now!  (Read 9375 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: RUMCAR NEWS 93 out now!
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 10:22:19 AM »
Most of these extreme prices have been achieved during an auction, we all know these differ to what a vehicle is actually worth, many times I've been caught up in the frenzy and lost yet offered a similar item after the sale, I usually turn these down simply because I have the time to think about it.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2007, 10:54:10 AM »
I have several micros from being worth a few pounds to being a good few pounds more.  My whole collection could have been bought for the price of a Tiger at one point.   Every Microcar has its fans and failings.  We chose what we want because that's what we want to own and afford.  I am no fan of the Gordon.  It's very agricultural an obscenely minimalistic.   I love the shape of the Schmitt but wish it had hydraulic brakes and more forgiving suspension.

There are many Micros not being used because they are worn out or the owners chose not to use them and just enjoy the thought of owning the car. I'm in my KR almost daily.   My Scootacar and KR are both road fit. But in all honesty I always go for the KR.   Because. 1, It's a droptop so a cool breeze  in the sun. 2, It has decent performance and 3, It does not court the attention the Scootacar does. 

The Scootacar looks really odd and if you're not in the right frame of mind (tired a bit after work) then it's a bind.  The public drive you mad. Also I can also bits for a KR with ease. The Scootacar is a lot harder.  Plus the amount of smoke from a Villiers compared to a Sachs is quite a lot and in this PC world I can do without being demonised by environment fascists.

You can't drive a Peel. Totally dangerous in the real world.    I could not give a toss if the values implode. My cars aren't for sale and never will be.  I might be able to get a bargain blue Trident then if they do!   However I'm not 'blinkered' to Micros. I like other vehicles that I can't afford like exotic 60's racing Ferraris. Or pre war Supercharged Mercs or Alfas.  I read a couple of Classic Car mags monthly and  I've noticed that what I consider to be porridge seems to have gone totally mad in value. RS Fords,  Cooper S's, TR5's etc..     These are high volume machines.    So I ask is this phenomenon eluding the micro world?   

I wish i could go and buy a Tiget for three grand but those days are a distant memory.   I am not offended if anyone dislikes a car I own. In fact I enjoy the criticism as It's their choice.   Stuart likes what he likes and Mr Weiner the same. It's very cloak and dagger for the rare stuff.    Forums are just that. Forums..

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
Rare cars are usually rare because they
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 11:20:35 PM by blob »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2007, 02:06:40 PM »
Most rare machines are sold by private treaty. You're obviously referring to Ebay as I can't think of any other auction in that context.  I don't think values are spur of the moment at all.   The web has enabled many more people to become informed of obscure pursuits. 

Some micros were simply poorly engineered. e.g.. the Coronet overheated. RHD Isettas rolled.  Others like the Peels whilst fit for purpose didn't really work in the real world.  The DKW engine is a strong German unit and would've proved reliable for many miles.  A car with one driven wheel that is grotesque styling wise may be eccentric and interesting. But for me I like the styling of my machines so have no interest in slabsided oddities.   
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2007, 10:56:53 PM »
I'm with Perry , I own my cars because primarily I like the styling, the fact that they are fun to drive is a bonus. The value is not so important. I too think the Gordan is grotesque but thats why Bob Dobie is to be applauded all the more for giving up so much time and effort restoring the Rum collection example, remember, it will not even be his at the end of it. We just have to accept that the forum will be made up of those who like the "Grunge" and those who like the "Glamour" 

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2007, 01:18:48 PM »
Indeed!  As I said before, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder! And....

My friend who came with me to Jeans fine open day saw the Regal sitting in the sun.  Earlier at the Enfield pageant we saw an ad for a long stored Regal on a stand.   On the back of seeing the RUM Regal he decided to pursue the Enfield one and has since aquired it.  Nice orig but scruffy machine.

Now I'm not a huge lover of Reliants but it's extremely practical and usasble. On that basis it gets a tick in a box.  However perhaps even more of a bonus in this consumer driven world is it's a huge anti-statement and will be a hoot to trundle around in.  With slight 'trotter' overtones I'm sure we'll have the last laugh as a four litre plus behemouth piloting sweaty looks at us with an air of superiority.  Well Mr Sweaty I fear the joke will be on you.  You see we don't take ourselves quite so seriously.... 

Hobbies should be about fun and fun we shall have!!
-Benvenuto Cellini