Author Topic: Trojans in London  (Read 11503 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Trojans in London
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »
Quite a few Trojans driving around London these days. Sadly they are much greedier of space, materials and fuel, for they are huge 4WD crew-cab-pick-ups made by Mitsubishi. Also the new model of TX 4 London Taxi has a taller radiator grille, with the front bumper cut away to fit it. To my eyes it looks rather like an up-dated Trojan van, very retro!
As for the open Day, it is now looking like my Saturday gig is going to extend into Sunday so I may not be able to get there at all, let alone in a Transit van packed to the gunwhales with Fezhead equipment. B*mmer!
Still, our latest recruit visited the studios on Saturday and said "Wow! A Trojan, I haven't seen one of those for ages! I used to have one when I was 16!" Small World!
Last week end I serviced DUF, then did a good wash and polish then went off for a morning drive around town, with all the usual waves and smiles. One fellow gestured taking a photo with his hands, clearly upset that he had no camera on him.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

P50

• Prolific Poster
Re: Trojans in London
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:42:03 PM »
I live in London/Essex border and never see a Micro on the roads. 

Other than mine naturally! Saw a Silver Schmitt driving up Piccadilly last year one evening though.

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:16:28 PM »
Thats strange, I live in London/ Essex border and I only ever see my own! One day we will pass each other and give ourselves a shock!   BobP

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 11:22:42 PM »
Wher do you live then?!
-Benvenuto Cellini

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 12:37:33 AM »
Hi Bobbiebubble, hi P50.
 You all are living in the London area? Sad we never did meet each other.
I had relationship in Epsom/Ewell the past 3 years, and i have been there once a month. Indeed, i never ever saw a micro over there, only a Reliant once only.
Loads of people i was talking to thought i'm kind of mad, coz being interested in bubblecars. Anyway i can't be bothered!
All the best
Ferdi

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:27:55 AM »
Hi P50. I exagerated slightly, Im in Hornchurch Essex so only a few mile from London. I know other local people who own microcars but like many that claim to be enthusiasts they never get around to doing anything with them. Just listen to me moaning on! We, along with the fezhead will have to meet up and go for a drive some time. What do you drive? Regards, BobP
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 09:55:43 AM by bobbybubble »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 05:24:23 PM »
Hello Bob,

I'm in Loughton. That's what 10 miles from you?  My daily micro is a KR200. But the Scootacar Mk1 comes out for very special occasions now and then!

Could meet up in Epping or somewhere like that and go for a trundle round the lanes.  Or if you're feeling brave into Londinium..
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 10:16:49 PM »
Hi P50. My daily micro is also a KR200. I like the idea of a country lane run! I will be snowed under with restoration work for a couple of weeks but then after the Stonham barns rally [August 3rd] I will have some time . How would that suit you? Look forward to meeting you.  Forgive me for being nosey but am I to take it that you dont actually own a P50? Regards, BobP

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 09:27:42 AM »
Hi Bob,  I may be going to the Stonham Bash. Am going to Jeans on Sunday if even weathers poor.

I'm away 11th to 20th Aug for my hols so after that really.   I have a P50 and a Trident. The P50 engine gasped "enough" on the IoM meet in '05 and has sat in slumber since.  The Trident is as fit as a fiddle.

Hope to bring a little something to show at the Schoolhouse. Micro Related....

-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 09:34:50 AM »
Hi P50. I should be at Jeans if the weather doesnt look teribble. I will be in the yellow schmitt,I was hoping to get the Inter finished in time but it hasnt happend. Do come up and say hello.  BobP

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 07:55:45 PM »
Oh @+%&##*9*** my Saturday booking is now likely to extend into Sunday, and as things look it is now very unlikely that I will be able to get to the open day.
I see that many people are not keen on driving in London, but if you pick your time it really is fun. A weekend morning drive over Tower Bridge and then along to Chelsea is a lovely drive!
Today i was cycling to my local shopping centre on my mini folding Daewoo bike, just outside Southwark park was a bunch of 16 ish years old lads watching me approaching. Then one said "where's your bubble car?", he has seen it driving around London and obviously recognised me. Fame at last!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 07:29:50 AM »
I used to keep my Scootacar in Wapping and on the right day ventured along Emankment to Cheyne Walk and the west end.  Trouble is whilst the Schmitt is a lowslung sporty number a Scootacar looks dumpy and gets a different kind of acknowledgement.  I've parked my Mk1 on Longacre near Covent Garden to be greeted by yet again a million punters poring over it when I get back. 

I remember pulling up at Westminster and getting stuck at the front of the lights there. With a million tourists taking pics.

I also took my P50 for a spin over Tower Bridge and nearly caused a pile up with rubber neckers!!  There's a 20mph limit on the bridge and I had to gauge my speed.  Imagine that. Surely I'd be the only person on the planet who's been nicked for speeding in a Peel?!!!  Heh heh.
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »
Does anyone remember the red isetta that was always parked along the chelsea embankment, it was there for years, well at least it was every saturday as I passed by on my way to the Portobello road. It disappeared about 10 years ago. I often wondered who owned it. It looked like it was in regular use. I just looked at the forcast for tomorrow in kent and it looks to be brightening up for jeans doo , goodo!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2007, 07:35:31 PM by bobbybubble »

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 02:10:29 PM »
Yeah I remember that Bubble. I'm sure it was a Trojan though.  Used to parked next to a Aston DB5 or 6 in the road.   
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 07:46:13 PM »
Talking of Mk1 Scootercars, I was over in Hockley essex last saturday to pick up some acrylic material to make my Inter aeroscreen with and called into Phil Bowlers workshop to say hello. He has almost finished a terrific restoration job on his Mk 1, its pale blue done in 2K. He has fabricated a lot of the internal metal panels himself ie the front seat box, floor, rear parcel shelf ect and I think its going to be one of the nicest ones around. He is hoping to have it done for Stonham. He has had some batches of parts made up as well, for instance silencers, rear mudgaurds and dashboards so if anyone is in need he is the guy to see.