Author Topic: Bamby wanted!  (Read 7659 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Bamby wanted!
« on: August 13, 2007, 06:09:29 PM »
There. I've said it! I've suddenly decided I rather fancy a Bamby as my second car. Later one with twin headlights & Suzuki engine prefered although any version will be concidered. Would rather like it to be in half decent condition as I intend to use it!   :o

CASH WAITING......   ;D

Stuart Cyphus, 01993 709452  or   invacar@yahoo.co.uk

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Bamby wanted!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 06:48:30 PM »
Well Stuart, Speaking from experience they are almost undrivable without serious modifications. At least it will increase your cruising speed from 17mph in the comtesse to a heart stopping 27mph! I include a short list of faults that were never rectified during there short and experimentle production run. The brakes dont work, plactic brake pipes! Tiny and inadequate brake disks. The master cylinder has no reserviour, you have to introduce the fluid with a teaspoon! If you loose any fluid whilst driving you have had it! The Suzuki moped engine has a very very fragile and complicated automatic gearbox [a real gearbox not CV transmision] which was too weak for the moped let alone a microcar, most of them are now broken. The engine mounts were too flexable and caused the car rear end to swagger from side to side when going along. Apart from these things the car is great!! Seriously though Stuart, the only Drivable Bambi's around have been drasticly modified, remember they were designed and built by a painter and decorator with no knowledge of engineering at all. Great museum exibits, loosy cars! I would think again.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:50:19 PM by bobbybubble »

Dan Rodd

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 09:33:30 PM »
i would have thought that a Replicar Cursor would be a better bet,plus im not sure you have enough cash waiting for a bamby ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:37:36 PM »
I think you are right Dan. The Cursor was a well engineered car, unfortunatly they used the same engine as the Bamby. Bamby looks nicer though!

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:23:19 PM »
Stuart, why not looking for a german microcar like an MW Cityboy? They are cheap in purchasing, fitted with a 50cc sachs engine you can get all the spare parts for ,and easy to drive. Top speed must be around 30 miles. Bodyshell is made from glasfibre and it looks quite nice. In germany its driven with a moped plate. That means no tax and no mot.
Best whishes
Ferdi

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 06:20:17 AM »
Or perhaps an AWS Shopper. Its based on a Goggomobil, all parts are available and easy to drive.
One on ebay currently   150149860486
 ;) ;)

witney44

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 11:24:55 AM »
Let the Lad choose his own vehicles. He knows what he wants!  ;D

inacoma

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 11:37:38 PM »
I would have one of everything if I had the money and space.

I like the Bambi style a bit better than the Cursor, but if you ask me tomorrow it might be the other way around.

john ;D

Bambyman

• Occasional
    • Manx Transport Museum Group
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 07:51:36 PM »
Got to agree there is a bit of style about the Bam, especially when you look at the price. I think its time to stop slagging the little buggy and look at saving and improving the little (could be) star. A fun run around that brings a smile to the faces of those who see it. Well done Mr Evans for having a go at something that was not your proffesion. If he would have had the proffesionalism needed, then, for sure, he could have had a small success. Think of it as a prototype and look at the improvments needed and there could be a small market for them still. What modern UK microcars are available today, apart from the replicar models that show the improvments that are available and how these little cars can be a small success 20 or more years later.

Bambyman

• Occasional
    • Manx Transport Museum Group
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 08:38:57 PM »
Got to agree there is a bit of style about the Bam, especially when you look at the price. I think its time to stop slagging the little buggy and look at saving and improving the little (could be) star. A fun run around that brings a smile to the faces of those who see it. Well done Mr Evans for having a go at something that was not your proffesion. If he would have had the proffesionalism needed, then, for sure, he could have had a small success. Think of it as a prototype and look at the improvments needed and there could be a small market for them still. What modern UK microcars are available today, apart from the replicar models that show the improvments that are available and how these little cars can be a small success 20 or more years later.

i suppose i'm saying 'I couldn't do any better' 'So i can't really critisize'

eddy3987

• Just Starting
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 07:08:56 PM »
hi are you still looking, as i have a genuine barn find. last on road 1986, need work but not a lot
adrian

inacoma

More details requested
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 07:32:15 PM »
Hi Everyone

I have requested more details

All the best

John

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 03:26:21 PM »
hi are you still looking, as i have a genuine barn find. last on road 1986, need work but not a lot
adrian

Hello Eddy, I'm very interested indeed!  Have you any number to contact you on?  or failing that, my details are;  Telephone, 01993 709452  or email;  invacar@yahoo.co.uk

(Are you after this as well John or are you an interested bystander?)