Author Topic: Scootacars at the NMCR 2007  (Read 24596 times)

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
Scootacars at the NMCR 2007
« on: August 23, 2007, 11:00:07 AM »
Calling all Scootacar owners
2007 brings the 50th Anniversary of the launch of the Scootacar prototype so it would be appropriate to get a large number of Scootacars present at this years National Micro Car Rally.  In previous years there has often been one or two Scootacars present so lets make a real effort this year and get 10 !.  So if you have a Scootacar, regardless of condition can you bring it along to Huntingdon race course this year?  Please pass the word around so those who don't access the forum know.  For those of you, who may think I am mad, then yes you are correct but I am more than half way to meeting the target of 10 so far but now need your help.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Scootacars at the NMCR 2007
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 04:11:25 PM »
Having attempted the same sort of thing last year with my conveyances, I wish you the best of British Luck!!!! I had 28 of the things due to appear and on the day got five, two of which were my own! If you have the same level of success as I did, you might get two....  Don't get me wrong though, I'm behind you all the way with the Scootacar Gathering. I haven't got one but I like 'em, particulerly the mk 1.  A few of you on this forum have Scootacars. Get them there! It'll make a nice change from Peels.....  ;D  ;)

Co-incidently, I set a new World Recold with my conveyance line last year for the most seen at any rally. What's the current recold for Scootacar's? (or any other micro come to that.....?)

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 11:42:06 AM »
Mine's going. And I'm really trying hard to get another Mk1 to turn up.  I think you'll be suprised Stuart on the day. I'm hoping for them going out on the road run.

About time the Scootacar took center stage. I adore them.  Fantastic outrageous shape..
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »
Well done P50, that's the attitude I am looking for.  I am hopeful that there will be a good line up if not a record line up.  Keep working away at the Mk1 owner and ensure this machine makes it too. 
Not sure what the record line up of Scootacar has been previously, but can't think of a NMCR that has had any more than 4 displayed previously. ;)  Does any one else know ?

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 05:11:28 PM »
Not sure what the record line up of Scootacar has been previously, but can't think of a NMCR that has had any more than 4 displayed previously. ;)Does any one else know ?

We had 2 restored and 1 unrestored show up at The National Meet in the USA this summer at Micros in Madison
if you include the MK1 and MK2 that Bruce Weiner has in the Museum, that makes 5

I have to try and get a photo of the tight fitting car cover made for one of them. It was amazing and they transported the car with the cover on it.

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 06:32:00 PM »
Hi Jim,
Would be very interested to see a picture of the Scootacar and its cover.  I am concerned about trailering my Scootacar due to the body flex and possibility of the screens popping out or in.
Would also be keen to know the details of the Mk1 in poor condition that changed hands as the Madison event.
I am confident that we can beat the American record of 5 Scootacars at this years NMCR.  Any one else out there bring their's ??

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 08:32:39 PM »
I'll be there with my camera....

Well now Scootacar, I was all set to denounce you as being Stephen Boyd, but suddenly I realise you're not him! Just as well I said "Best of British luck" earlier, and not "Best of English luck" else you might have set your Haggis on my Ferret.  ;)  :-* 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 08:38:31 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Dan Rodd

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 09:14:26 PM »
I think that often when people try to organise such things,their efforts are rarely rewarded,take for instance your attempt to have the world record of invalid carriages,and have only 3 people turn up in addition to you.A lot of the time most people prefer to simply posess rather than actually do anything with them.

witney44

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2007, 09:27:05 PM »
Hi Stuart,
(1949 Argson Electric, 1973 Mini-Comtesse, & (hopefully) coming soon, a return to my roots!......)  ??? ???
What does this all mean?
ROOTS! Are you going gardening with Ferret?  Parsnips or dare I say it, Carrots!  ;D

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 10:03:02 PM »
So then Stuart, how did you discover my true identity?  Surely you can't detect my accent can you? Tell your Ferret he is safe in the mean time, my haggis is running around the glen chasing sheep  ;D
Stephen Boyd is a tireless worker on the Scootacar front and has stood steady at the helm since 1979 so can't be faulted for his dedication to the marque.  I am simply sticking my nose in, as usual and making a few phone calls/sending e-mails to Scootacar owners in the hope a few might listen and bring their cars along to the NMCR.  There is little effort at my end but hopefully the outcome might be significant and add to what

witney44

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 10:22:05 PM »
It's so easy to check your profile.  ;D

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
As a present for everyone, I present one of my favourite pictures of a Scootacar, taken 8th May 2002. Judging by the sticker in the windscreen, Stephen knows of it, but alas I doubt it will be at Huntingdon. Last I heard it had gone to Canada.....

« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 08:39:31 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »
Stuart, that same Scootacar can be seen here: http://home.comcast.net/~erend/ along with a Mk2 that Alan Hitchock had for sale a while back.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 04:04:58 PM »
Hello Blob, alas the link doesn't register! This Scootacar (the pictured Mk 1) was indeed seen at the premises of Alan Hitchcock all those years ago.

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 04:14:50 PM »
Hi Stuart, the links working now, I had it joined to part of the sentence by mistake.  ::)