Author Topic: Is this really an Invalid Carriage?  (Read 17078 times)

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Is this really an Invalid Carriage?
« on: September 05, 2007, 05:52:37 AM »
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Dan Rodd

Re: Is this really an Invalid Carriage?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
i dont think so but Stuart would say otherwise,if he had his way he would have all these pavement scooters in the magazine.

witney44

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 03:18:25 PM »
This is a Mobility Carriage. A Group 3 vehicle that can be powered electrically or petrol engine as long as it can go no faster than 8 mph.  Group 3 also incude all those dual speed scooters that are everywhere. They also should be registered at DVLA and have a Registration Number. But have you seen any with plates? 

This from D.O.T .------
 A Class 3 vehicle is not legally defined as a motor vehicle and, therefore, the user is not required to have a driving licence or to take a test. The vehicles themselves are not subject to Vehicle Excise Duty ('road tax') or mandatory insurance requirements.

However, the law does say that:

a Class 3 vehicle can only be used by a disabled person aged 14 or over, or by an able-bodied person who is demonstrating a vehicle before sale, training a disabled user or taking the vehicle to or from a place for maintenance or repair.

The vehicle must have certain construction features, including:

a maximum unladen weight of 150 kg (330 Ibs);
a maximum width of 0.85 metres (2'9");
a device to limit its speed to 6.4 kmph (4 mph);
a maximum speed of 12.8 kmph (8 mph);
an efficient braking system;
front and rear lights and reflectors, and direction indicator which are able to operate as a hazard warning signal;
an audible warning instrument (horn);
a rear view mirror;
an amber flashing light if a 4-wheeled vehicle is used on a dual carriageway.
If these conditions are not met, you are liable to prosecution by the police

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 05:40:34 PM »
Quite right Bob  :-*, this is a class 3 mobility scooter but is far from normal due to it being fitted with a petrol engine as standard, a fitting which was always compleatly outside of any regulations in place for these vehicles then & now, hence the petrol Everest & Jennings Safari (previusly known as the Explorer Car) is a very rare find indeed. For further background & historical details on the vehicle, I refer the reader to my aricle on this very example as printed on page 13 of RUM Car News number 86.

Some observant folk may say that several of these have been seen on eBay in the past few years, but here I point out that it's all been the same one. (This one!) Daniel is quite prepared to voice his opinions on the historical interest of mobility scooters in general as well I know, but I hereby state that the Invalid Carriage has welcomed mobility scooters of all ages and types with open arms for a good couple of years now. Say what you will about mobility scooters, but they were and are the "next step on" from the traditinal invalid carriage. They have been around since the early 1970s, and the general history of them really is quite fascinating. Rember, everything has a history, and that history must be recorded.....

So to all those looking at this Safari, get bidding! It is rare, historical important, and WELL WORTH HAVING!  (the I.C.R said so!)

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 01:28:34 AM »
Well, now that the bidding has taken off and looks set to go quite high, I'll tell you the tale of how I nearly became the proud owner of one of these cars, but my conscience intervened...

About ten years ago, a friend gave my wife a pile of magazines she was about to ditch and one was the newsletter of the Multiple Sclerosis Society.  Idly flicking through the classified ads in the back, as you do, I found a petrol-powered invalid carriage offered for sale in Wimborne, Dorset.  That in itself struck a chord as my Dad spent some time in an orphanage down there as a child.

I rang the number and it was answered by the housekeeper who informed me that the Lady of the House had retired for her afternoon nap and would I call back later?  I naturally did so and spoke to Mrs Fox-Pitt who told me that she had given up driving the carriage and wanted it to find a good home.  She agreed to send me all the brochures for it and they duly arrived, complete with the dealer's stamp.  I phoned the dealer who said the the Honda engine was restricted by a bolt in the gearbox and that he would tell me how to de-restrict it if I bought it - this would give it the full range of gears and something approaching an unsafe turn of speed.

I copied the brochure and returned it to Mrs F-P.  I then called her to open negotiations.  How much are you asking for it?  About £150!  This is when my bloody conscience intervened and I said I'd speak to her son who lives in Sandwich, not far from me.  He said that the old dear should be asking £1500, at which point all hopes of acquiring it evaporated as the Devonport slush fund wouldn't have stretched that far back then.

Tying up a few loose ends earlier this year, I called the son again - just in case it was still tucked away in a garage somewhere but it had been sold on his mother's death a few years ago.  A classic case of the one that got away.  I can't even find the copied brochures now (before you ask, Stuart!) so here the sad tale must end.

Hope you're all having a great time at the National while I'm stuck here at work on nights.  Still finding time to keep an eye on that Everest & Jennings, though...

Amities a tous et toutes.
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 12:49:07 PM »
Hi Nick. Im also grounded and cant get to the National but in my case ist due to Labyrinthitis and vertigo! I cant even ride as a passenged in a car without my head going very perculiar. Maybe I should buy the Everest and Jennings Safarhi, I think 8mph is my limit at the moment. Do you know anything about the accident with the scootercar that was reported on the forum? I hope it wasnt too serious. I enjoyed your story and its good to know you have a conscience dispite being a customs man  :) Did you manage to sell your Ligier? Regards, Bob

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 08:12:13 PM »
I have just returned from a day at the National, which was very well attended by the way,  Graham Johnson's Scootacar got crashed into from behind at a junction as I understand it.  He is OK but the Scootacar needs a new rear end and I understand there are already plans afoot to affect a restoration. There were nine Scootacars on the field on Sunday, 10 if you count Grahams wihich was in hiding.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 09:35:21 PM »
Who bought this in the end? Was it anyone here?

witney44

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 10:27:16 PM »
It sold for  Â£810 but all the bidder's IDs were kept private.  ;D

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:59:30 PM »
Well guess who won it??? Maybe to first to list it on this forum. I did!!
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 02:56:22 PM »
Somehow Ian, I thought it might have been you!  ;D  :-*  Would you like copies of all the period details I've got on the Explorer Car/E & J Safari?

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »
That would be great Stuart,  thanks. More information the better.

Marv

• Just Starting
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 11:07:09 PM »
Good evening chaps.
Please do you still have copy of these documents?
I have had the luck to purchase one of the Everest and jennings safari's and am try to research about them.
Any help would be much appreciated