Author Topic: Car Registrations/Replicas  (Read 2233 times)

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Car Registrations/Replicas
« on: September 21, 2007, 06:33:21 PM »
Under the heading of 'Astra' a discussion was started about the rights and wrongs of selling off number plates. Obviously I am dead against the practice unless there are very special circumstances as there was when we acquired our Tourette.  An interesting point is that, when I needed to part with some very poor Isettas we had which had 'good' number plates I asked the DVLA before putting them up for sale if I could have the registration numbers made 'non-transferable' and the answer was no because they already had V5 's (at that time).  The only way you get a non-transferable number is when you successfully reclaim an original number that did not get on to the computer in 1983.  I would have thought that the obvious way to stop this money making racket of selling off number plates would be to allow the current owner to have his cars number declared 'non-transferable' if he so wishes, then as it passes from owner to owner the number is safe.   What do you folks think?
On the subject of Replicas, I feel they are an extremely good reason to register your cars with The Register of Unusual Microcars.  Should a car be suspect in any way it shows up when it comes to the Register because the computer warns us of a duplicate chassis number, registration number or engine number.  Thus in years to come providing we keep the Register in existence and up-to-date, this information can be checked by any new owner and undeclared replicas will become obvious.  Even the DVLA now recognises our unique number given to a vehicle for its life time and have been known ,if we can give sufficient historical information, to suggest the use of the RUM number as a chassis number  if the original  is missing and untraceable.
May be this is why a number of people are not so keen to submit the details of their cars to the Register!!
Incidentally,mention has been made of Andy Carter and his very good replicas, Peels in particular.  Andy has gone out of his way to identify is replicar shells and chassises and is keeping very clear records so that these replicas can be identified as such.  He is sharing this information with the Register, lets hope anyone else produucing replicas are as open and honest.
This is not an attempt to start another fight but to open up a rational, unheated debate as to what we genuine enthusiasts can do to stop unsuspecting newcomers 'buying a pup' especially as prices have risen beyond belief.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Car Registrations/Replicas
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 10:38:37 AM »
Fine words, Jean. Also I had always wondered why my trojan's number, 553 DUF is non-transferable even though it is the original car's number. There is not much of the original car left, thanks to 10 years stanging in salty coastal air, then sveral years more decline and neglect.
I am very pleased that the number has to stay with my car, it is part of its character! I was dead chuffed to get 2nd favourite Heinkel/Trojan at NMCR, despite some non-standard things.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face