Author Topic: scootacars..  (Read 10037 times)

Trident

• Quite Chatty
Re: Stuff The Money!!
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 06:26:51 PM »

Stuart,
You want to join the Bond Owners Club and buy a Minicar from Bond Info and not E-Bay.  They are still priced for enthusiasts but hurry as a few are appearing on E-Bay these days.  A Mk E-G are good solid british Microcars at their best and still cost sensible money.  Get one before they are all gone.  ;D

Dan Rodd

Re: scootacars..
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 08:01:56 PM »
you may not wish to talk about money,but the original post in this thread was how much one would cost,and unless the vendor will take a collection of magic beans and some silver spoons as tender,then it does come into it quite a lot.
What i dislike is people who have these things solely because of their worth and because they can afford them.I once asked a friend of mine who has a collection of motoring enamel signs and petrol pump globes worth over £100k,would you still buy them if they were 50p each,to which he replied of course.That is a proper enthusiast!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 08:16:45 PM »
you may not wish to talk about money,but the original post in this thread was how much one would cost

Granted, but there is a differance between buying prices and "value" prices. It's the latter to which I'm generally refering. Plus ask yourself (everyone generally, not you specifically Daniel) this cold hard question. Is the real reason you are getting your knickers in a twist over the sums these cars are making, either asked or realised, becuse you are jelous of the person who has the money who can afford the car that you wanted yourself. Yes or No?

Think about it and answer honestly with only the single word; Yes or No.....

Dan Rodd

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 08:57:26 PM »
no,because money cant buy you happiness,and more achievement can be got out of scraping together pennies to get something you have wanted for a long time than simply handing over a blank cheque to a dealer.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 09:00:02 PM »
This has been going on forever. A D-type Jag was say 5k in 1970. Its worth 2M now. Or whatever.

Things will always go up. Generally.

There's not too many people who will buy a Scootacar because it's going to be worth shed loads more in 10 years time.   I love my Scootacar.  I drove it 100 miles at the NMCR. It broke down. All part of the fun.

Only two were on the run.  Not what I'd call well represented.    You want a car?  Its not as cheap as it was. EVERYTHING GOES UP THAT IS DESIRABLE.  Private plates were issued free on cars before '63.  Now look at 'free' plates. Hundreds of thousands for numbers and letters.

Two options.  Push the boat out. Or don't own a Scootacar.  

So it's the question that begs for the future. Who will buy these things? I suspect they'll go overseas. Namely the States.
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 09:42:42 PM »
...There's not too many people who will buy a Scootacar because it's going to be worth shed loads more in 10 years time.

I agree and furthermore every "PINHEAD" I know that has purchased a Scootacar has done so because they fell in love with it and were willing to pay just about anything to have it.
And once they got it, they restored it (and spent too much doing so) and now share it with others.

What better home for the car than someone who really really wants it?

Dan Rodd

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 10:15:19 PM »
its just a shame that they get over restored and look like trophys in a glass case rather than useable cars.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 10:25:11 AM »
When I went to a guys place at Watford to look at a Bamby for my wife a few years ago there was a Mk2 Scootercar rotting in his garden, I asked about it and he told me that it ran when he bought it in good condition but then it broke down and had sat there eversince. I asked if it was for sale but no, he would rather leave it to rot in case in about thirty years time he might do something with it, its proberbly still there rotting! This is so typical of many old school 'enthusiasts' and is why so many ended up getting scrapped. About complaints of over restoring, in my experience these usually [ but not always ] come from people that have owned a dismantled one in the shed for the last thirty years and lack the skill, motivation and patience it takes to restore it. The other misconception about it becoming a rich mans sport is in my view not the case , you dont have to spend a fortune to get your microcar up to a respectable standard, I know dozens of people who are average working class folk but present their cars at the shows in a pleasing condition and even pick up a rosette or two. The other myth is that all people with pristine condition cars lock them up in a glass case and never drive them , I keep my schmitt in pristine order but proberbly drive it more than most, I have driven it to Germany, Holland, France, Wales, and so do many others in our field of interest. It has to be said that many of the moaners turn up at the national year after year without there cars . If it takes high values to get these cars out of the hands of the 'armchair enthusiast', and get them restored and on the road then so be it.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 09:42:11 PM »
Scootacars really are a labour of love to keep road fit. 

The Mk1

Tyres are hard (a la Schmitt), back lights are impossible (obv you can use lucas jobbies but for the purist LEP's with reflectors are desirable..), front suspension and unique balljoints are nil point!,9E  engine's are easy save alloy fan shroud, wipers motors impossible, correct headlights getting very difficult, handlebars - exhausts -chassis parts have to be fabricated, rear spocket again has to be made, switches and electrics can be sourced from Evilbay. Dynastart's as Schmitt. Brake drums impossible, backplates same,slaves are morris minor, master can be sleeved, bearings are easy, wheels are rocking horse excreta. I could go on.

So for someone to source a dead Scoot and start to get it road fit means unreal commitment.  To bother to keep it on the road with always the risk of it packing up and then the agg which will ensue is slightly offputting to say the least.

So these machines are hardcore. Not Treinkels or Isettas or Schmitts.  They're easy. 

With all I've said would you sell a fit correct spec healthy runner for less than it's market value?   In fact why would you sell it?

I use my Mk1 but confess usually go for the Schmitt for an easy life. But the Mk1's on the road with T&T and done nigh on a 100 virtually trouble free miles at the national.  I can understand if some end up as static museum pieces in the states which will be a shame.$

Just because you pay a lot for a car doesn't not make you an enthusiast.  Time's have moved on but the cars are still here (some!).

Everybody who buys any rare micro should be welcomed. Especially if they're prepared to drive it on the queens highway.

-Benvenuto Cellini

lovelybubbly

• Occasional
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2007, 12:05:30 AM »
GOOD GRIEF!! i flicked back on here to an expected two or three replies to a right old can of worms being opened!!! :)

i only asked because a) haven't seen a scootacar in the flesh and fell in love with them at the show and b) had no idea if they sell for 1000 or 25000 quid!! i agree with so many comments and theories my question raised.. and also if they are 'hardcore' maintenance or rather restoration epics, i questioned-  have i got the know how/persistence/patience/cash?!!

patience yes.. have a car in its 7th year of restoration.. / cash..no- see patience!: 7yrs of bank syphoning ;D

i did laugh out loud at the thought of an exploding engine ruining ones dangly bits..at the first sign of impact a real enthusiast (and i will include myself) would surely steer their Scootacar to safety first rather than 'abandon bubble' while in motion!!!  A true test..

Anyway i have joined the club and waiting for some info from Steven, obviously i'll find my place in the queue for MK1's (the back!) and resume my virtue of patience!  i'd love to have one and would use it as much as poss. Share the bubble love!

thanks for the replies..direct ones and not so ;)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2007, 07:42:34 PM »
All the talk of rarity/value set me to thinking. It is true that something rare, interesting and historic will have a high price. That rarity will also tend to make it seem more interesting than more the more "common" Scmitts, Tojein-Helkans and Isettas. Fair enough ! But although I am interested in all types of unusual machines, I think it fair to say that the reason why the big 3 are so much more common is simply that at the time when they were new, more people chose to buy them, rather than the rarer breeds. 
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2007, 11:14:10 PM »
Scootacars really are a labour of love to keep road fit.
back lights are impossible (obv you can use lucas jobbies but for the purist LEP's with reflectors are desirable..),

True if you own a pre 63 Mk1 but all later ones were fitted with red glass lensed Lucas rear lights and a chrome lucas number plate light.  This is due to a factory fire at the LEP factory which destroyed all stock.

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2007, 08:54:20 AM »
Mr Boyds invalid spec Mk1 has glass lucas units.     
-Benvenuto Cellini