Author Topic: AC Petite in C&S Article  (Read 9093 times)

P50

• Prolific Poster
AC Petite in C&S Article
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:06:25 PM »
I just bought this months Classic and Sportscar and read an article about the AC Petite.

Not the most glowing piece.   Utterly slates it and there's an underlying dig at micros in general.

One part says merging motorcycles and cars means you get the worst of both worlds.  I know as a period conveyance micros were obviously inferior to say a ford pop with regard to ride etc but they served a purpose. The Treinkel was a very good seller and has virtually 'real' car capabiilty.

Classic and Sportscar. MG's Jags, Lotus's, Triumphs, Astons. 

Followed by next month MG's Jags, Lotus's, Triumphs,Astons

Dont worry if you get bored with that there'll also be an issue coming along with MG's Jags, Lotus's, Triumphs,Astons.

What a load of old pants!

"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: AC Petite in C&S Article
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:47:13 PM »
Don't forget last month's stunning issue. That one really broke the mould, being filled with........  MG's, Jags, Lotus's, Triumphs, Astons!

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 12:40:49 AM »
Obviously this magazine is not made for microcars mates. German magazine issues is the same!  >:(

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 08:10:22 PM »
Hey fellows, do not upset yourselves too much about the rare/derogatory coverage in the mainstream media, we love the stuff that is different, and we are a very small minority! Besides, if too much good stuff was written and broadcast about micros, none of us would be able to afford them. I myself also like a lot of the familiar classics. Vive la difference!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Dan Rodd

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:38:25 PM »
The very reason Rumcar news exists is because of magazines like c and s,although i sometimes buy practical classics,classics and classic car weekly,i can honestly say i have NEVER bought classic and sportscar :D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:31:44 AM »

"One part says merging motorcycles and cars means you get the worst of both worlds. " I suppose its true that you dont get the performance of a motorcycle or the comfort of a motorcar but its all a mater of perspective, you could just as easily say you get the BEST of both worlds because you get the ecomomy of a motorcycle and as in a car you dont get cold and wet. From what I recall from the advertising of the period these were the original selling points. For people like us though we also get the thrill of being micronauts, at the end of the day you either luv em or you dont.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
...and those that don't love never know how much fun and friendly banter they are missing out on!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »
here here.

shame weather's poor. or i'd be out and about...
-Benvenuto Cellini

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 12:50:50 PM »
Yeah, but in my case its not just the weather stopping me, I have been grounded since mid august by a nasty bout of viral labyrinthitis resulting in vertigo, loss of equilibrium and partial deafness, its been pretty disabilitating as you can imagine, I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy! Still after four months I am beginning to turn the corner but am still a long way off from microcar driving and I doubt I will ever get on a motorcycle again. This explains why I have been droning on so much of late on the forum, there is not much else Im capable of doing at the moment. Lets hope all will be well by next spring and we all have a great year of bubbleing in 2008! [I cant die yet, I havnt finished the Inter!]

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 02:30:08 PM »
Oh dear. Hope you get better soon. 
-Benvenuto Cellini

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 07:45:34 PM »
I think the criticism is reflective of the embedded mindset of most modern magazine journalism.
Editors are too sensitive to the whims of advertisers to provide anything other than glowing praise for mainstream products, thus the whole genre gets bogged down in a sea of superlatives for cars that are oft-times pretty tedious. There was a good bit in the excellent 'East European Cars' by Julian Nowill about how the East German press used to rave about every minor change or update to the Trabant as if changing the door handle design was as significant as the invention of the wheel.
Unfortunately Classic Cars seems to be following this trend, how many AC Petite owners are going to be dropping their subscriptions because of this damming article?
As we know, all MG's, Jags, Lotus's, Triumphs and Astons are absolutely flawless design icons lusted after by anyone with a sensible disposition whereas the AC Petite is just a car.

Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 09:26:29 PM »
 So hands up who's sensible around here? If anyone does, sack 'em on the spot for all our sakes!

P.S; Get well soon Bobbybubble

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 10:19:07 PM »
Thanks Stuart and P50.

witney44

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 10:45:08 PM »
Hello Bob,
 Just been reading up on labyrinthitis as i'd never heard of it. Roll on next year then for when you are better. I think my old mate Ernie must have had it last year. Just the same things happening as you have. Best Wishes mate and keep stirring us up on the Forum. Rob D.  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 12:07:01 AM »
Thanks Bob. I will do my best to keep stirring it! When are you going to reveal that colour scheme?