Author Topic: BBC Focus magazine  (Read 8997 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
BBC Focus magazine
« on: November 27, 2007, 11:56:58 AM »
I have just received via email a copy of the new BBC Focus Magazine. This edition is about the Swindon repository for the science museum. One of the images is an Invacar Mk 12

http://cde.cerosmedia.com:80/1K473d8c684715b012.cde

Follow the link for more information.

This digital magazine is how magazines will be in future. However, I wonder how much it cost them to produce this edition.

Chris Thomas

Dan Rodd

Re: BBC Focus magazine
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 12:16:47 PM »
The picture is of a Harper,not an invacar.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 02:33:57 PM »
 I followed the link, downloaded the PDF file, looked at it for a few moments, and went stright out and bought the hard copy of the magazine from the newsagent. The hard copy also has a picture showing the Elswick Envoy from the Channel 4 "Elogy for an Elswick" programme, and the amazing Invacar New Era & "driving school" Invacar Mk 8 (minus roof) from the Micheal Lawrence collection.

I count myself as one of the lucky few priviliged enough to have got the chance to see inside the hangers of Wroughton. I went there in 2002 to view the conveyaces, and I can tell you the pictures in these two "Focus" artices do not even begin to show you what it is like in there. In the end, I actully spent three solid days there just being shown around. Forget what the Tourist Bord tells you about anywhere else, its Wroughton that is truely the eighth wonder of the world. Everything in scientific & technilogical history is there. And yet it was turned down for the shortlist for that 50 million pound grant, in favour no doubt for some crackpot enviromentalists private fantasy of replacing the tarmac of the M25 with lawn grass. Or something.

Such is the amount of stuff crammed into Wroughton, the best way to sum it up, is to recount a nice little tale told to me by the Curator who showed us round; His Dad had once owned an Isetta back in the depths of time. The computer said there was three Isettas somewhere in store on the airfield, so out of nostagia he had been keeping his eyes open to spot them if ever he happoned to pass them. He had been at Wroughton for two years when we visited and he still hadn't found 'em yet!!!!!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 04:41:47 PM »
Dear Stuart

I do apologise for not knowing my Harper from my Invacar.

I am glad that it was of interest to you.

Let us hope that one day the museum will be open to the public and we can all see the exhibits that are within.

Chris Thomas

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »

Let us hope that one day the museum will be open to the public and we can all see the exhibits that are within.

Chris Thomas

The museum at Wroughton is indeed open to the public on a select few weekends per annum. Well worth a visit.