Author Topic: 21st-century Isetta  (Read 9904 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
21st-century Isetta
« on: November 30, 2007, 01:27:59 PM »
Now heres a thing!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/213099/bmw_isetta.html

http://www.autobild.de/artikel/Themen-Erlkoenige-Laesst-BMW-die-Kugel-wieder-rollen-_458027.html

The German website mentions the project has become known as "Minisetta" but that at the moment its just an idea thats being floated.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: 21st-century Isetta
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 01:49:02 PM »
Thats interesting in the light of what has been said recently about BMW denying the isettas existance because of it being bad for the company image.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 03:54:14 PM »
Wow, BMW brought us the Mini and the Isetta ! Wow, great news!! Big respect to BMW. Obviously Iso in Italy and British Motor Corporation in England had nothing to do with them, then.
This sort of re-writing of history (very popular in America ) also has Mercedes Benz claiming to have invented the car.
Up against a wall the lot of them!
Rant over, actually I am quite liberal-minded really, I just believe in DEATH TO ALL ERXTREMISTS. And Stuart!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Dan Rodd

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »
the first petrol driven car was actually invented in britain,before benz!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 06:01:07 PM »
Wow, BMW brought us the Mini and the Isetta ! Wow, great news!! Big respect to BMW. Obviously Iso in Italy and British Motor Corporation in England had nothing to do with them, then.
This sort of re-writing of history (very popular in America ) also has Mercedes Benz claiming to have invented the car.
Rant over, actually I am quite liberal-minded really, I just believe in DEATH TO ALL ERXTREMISTS. And Stuart!

Not that I think we need to win friends or influence people, but I think we can put most of the inaccuracies in the english article down to a lazy British journalist, rather than to BMWs attempt to re-write history. 
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 07:04:20 PM »
You're probably right about the journo, but car companies do have a long track record of "inventing" things decades after some other car company had already done it, eg Audi's claim to have invented 4wd.
Dan, do mean Butler, as the brit who invented a petrol car? I think he came up with designs and pats before Benz, but from my research I believe that acclaim should go to Siegfried Markus who made a petrol powered car which still works. To say nothing of steam vehicles dating back to Cugnot's Fardier. What constitutes a "car", is it the type of motor, the number of wheels, type of fuel? How about da Vinci's clockwork car, does that count? I think it had 4wd too!
Stuart, why no comment from you about being included as an extremist...waiting for a witty retort!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Dan Rodd

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 07:44:52 PM »

hope you dont mean our Stuart??

Smart51

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 07:49:15 PM »
The gist of the German site is that BMW does not want to make a car smaller than the 1 series because it will dilute the brand.  However, they do need to make more efficient cars to lower their average CO2 emissions for the fleet to meet EU guide lines.  They haven't ruled out a tie up with Smart and they've not ruled out wider use of their "Pretty English Daughter" brand: MINI.  In fact they've already thought up the name Mini MINI for a small 2 seater.

Seems I'm right on the money with my 21st Century Isetta type car, but perhaps not enough ahead of the game.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 09:02:25 PM »
Don't worry Daniel, that last line doesn't quite mean what it seems to read, - I understand what he means anyway. ;D (Thank you Marcus  :-*)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:04:17 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 11:35:50 PM »
I for one would be very supprised if the 21st century isetta came to anything.