Author Topic: Anyone like old bikes?  (Read 19538 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Anyone like old bikes?
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:34:33 PM »
I know its not a microcar but I'm bored. This is my 1957 motomorini tresette , I restored it three years ago, its an italian lightweight, 175cc four stroke. I may have to sell it if I dont get my balance back. Hope I dont have to because I love it!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Anyone like old bikes?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »
Hi Rob. Thats scooter looks a usefull bit of kit! Love the twin silencers. Although I would never do it I can understand how microcar folk are tempted to graft these great little twist and go motors onto there microcars. What is the moped, a Norman nippy or something?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:08:51 PM »
Nice stuff. My Brother recently bought a NSU Quickly for his son, needs some tlc but a nice old bike.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 09:56:48 PM »
My father commuted from Hornchurch to stepney everyday on a moped for years, he tried them all, Rayliegh runabouts, NSU's, motobeccanes, but I remember him saying that the classiest one he ever had was an Itom , i think it was called an Itom esperior or something simular. I think that in the fifties Italian bikes were streets ahead but were let down by cheap electrics. I fitted electronic ignition to the morini and it was the best money I have ever spent!

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 08:22:42 AM »
Hi Marcus

Re your post on the RUMCars Forum about your brother's Quickly.
If he needs any parts or advice, the man to contact is:

Roger Worton
56 Crosslands
Stantonbury
Milton Keynes
MK14 6AX
Tel:    01908 314797
email:   roger@worton.fsbusiness.co.uk

Roger used to be a general cyclemotor & autocycle spares man
but now concentrates on the Quickly.

Marvellous bikes, I had an S23 a couple of years ago, sold it
to a strange bloke called Witney44.  Likes mopeds and microcars.
Very odd...

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Dan Rodd

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:00:54 AM »
Im sure anyone on here with all the tiddlers(like me)will have been somewhat dismayed and saddened at the black hole which the NACC has sunk itself into,fortunately the sector that was being "abused"if you like has taken heed of a threat by the commitee to reform the east anglian cyclemotor club and have reformed it,and its going from strength to strength.Have a look at the makeshift nacc site for more info,is sad what has happened.
Now added a 1 owner 1955 Ariel VH500 redhunter to my fleet,i will add some pics soon.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:52:37 PM »
I look forward to the pics Dan, I used to ride ariels in the 1970's but they were strokers , the golden arrow with high compression heads was my favorite. Rob, why have you just changed into a lame duck?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 01:38:06 PM »
Motobi Catria 1957 175cc four stroke. My other bike. This was designed by one of the Benelli brothers after he had a row with the family and went off and starter Motobi as a rival to Benelli. Note the famous EGG engine slung low in the frame for great cornering! This arrangment with horizontal barrel and pressed steel frame was said to be what influenced Honda with thier bikes in the sixties. They also made a scooter also called Catria and a three wheeler!

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 01:02:01 AM »
Re: NACC web site

I agree with Dan that the internecine struggle within the NACC did little to help matters but
we seem to have turned a corner with the launch of the new Club web site. 

Check out www.thebuzzingclub.co.uk and you'll see what I mean.  New features and updates
are added regularly.  Well worth a visit!

Regards
Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

burford57

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2007, 01:05:58 AM »
And following my own advice I looked at the NACC site just now and
discovered that the web site for the Quickly spares man is in fact:

www.nsuquicklyspares.co.uk

Nick D.

Dan Rodd

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 11:44:20 AM »
I found this site:
http://www.autocycle.freeserve.co.uk/nacc.html

very helpful in informing me of what went on,as my membership lapsed at the beginning of all the problems.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 12:23:50 PM »
I read that link Dan, what a carry on! How can such tiny motors have spawned such big troubles! It makes any squabbles we have hear at RUM pale into insignificance!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 05:32:46 PM by bobbybubble »

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2007, 10:24:53 PM »
At the risk of inflaming anyone, the taste in bikes here is surprisingly conventional.  My (former) Quasar:

There is a nearly-RUMCar link as the engine, gearbox and final drive of the Quasar were Reliant bits.  There are some more photos on my Quasar page, and some of a bare Quasar on the Quasar World.

The Quasar got me started on 'feet forward' bikes (the intelligent way to design a bike) and that led to a recent project to make a feet forward from a standard Yamaha scooter, the ComforTmax:

Andrew

Triporteur

• Quite Chatty
    • Online Bicycle Museum
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2007, 05:18:44 PM »
You weirdos will probably like this little gem then...

Online Bicycle Museum - http://oldbike.eu

Online Cyclemaster Museum - http://Cyclemaster.co.uk

Sales: http://BuyVintage.co.uk

Dan Rodd

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2007, 05:52:26 PM »
you are correct ;D

my Ariel is in for Mot tomorrow,if it passes i will put some pics up!