Author Topic: Gordon MARK I instruction manual  (Read 6543 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Gordon MARK I instruction manual
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:53:27 PM »
i do apologise if i outbid any forum member for the above on ebay this week. i have already got a 1958 book Vernons , Kirkby ,Liverpool , England . i now have the earlier book Vernons , Biidston, Cheshire , England ,1954. my car is the earlier and being my local make i wanted one with the earlier factory- before re-locating "over the water " . as it happens there are a few photo's missing in the later printing , i will now have to see if anything of note different -probably not , other than by 1958 the wiring diagram shows two brake lights rather than one . i doubt it but if anyone needs a copy let me know  :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:01:42 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Gordon MARK I instruction manual
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »
 I haven't got any copies left now after collecting them in the early 2000's. Can you find the photo that is printed upside down in your copies Richard? Look for carburettor pictures.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 07:29:57 AM »
 :D it's not april 1st is it ? no i haven't got that printing .thats at least 3 they did then
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 12:46:46 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:41 PM »
manual differences , forks were changed so these earlier pics just left out

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:01 PM »
something about the rear springing must have changed as well as the detail was "fuzzed over " in later manual .  did they ad shocks ?

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »
I had both editions. Keep looking at the photos on other pages and you will see, just, a picture of the top of a carb., it is printed upside down. Also, here is the chassis of the IC, with hydrolic brakes, that they made pre Gordon.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 01:08:35 PM by Rob Dobie »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
thanks rob found the pic  :) thanks for the I.C. chassis pic. this is the only one i had --- quite different .  in the rear wheel pic notice the bleeding valve its next to the ******* chain adjuster  :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 04:57:20 PM by lightweight dickie »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:22:09 PM »
******* = flaming ?  ;D

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
near - but no cigar  :)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 09:48:38 PM »
i think theres really something delightful about spoked wheels - wish i had them on the Gordon 

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 11:25:13 PM »
...and now for the ICR to weigh in;  Rob's Vernon chassis pic is of a 1952-1956 Mk 1 or Mk 2. These two marks had the Villiers 8E engine with separate starter motor (was it ever proved that the motor  was from a sit up & beg Ford?), a setup practically identical to that used in the production Gordon. Richard's pic is of a 1957-58 Vernon Invalid Car Mk 3, which uses a Villiers Mk 9E unit with Dynastart, in line with the Ministry of Health's 1957 Standard Specification for invalid carriage running gear. It is thought roughly 1,500 Vernon's were built, 500 Mk 1's, 500 Mk 2's and 500 Mk 3's. None are known to have survived today.

In 2008 I located the only known surviving part of a Vernon Invalid Car, being the complete engine, starting system and engine cradle of a Mk 2. The owner was only intrested in the engine and was due to bin the rest, therein I was able to direct the leftovers towards the final completion of the Hammond Collection Gordon's starting system. No doubt Rob will recall exactly which bits were used in the end, but I've got an idea it was the big fast & loose pulley and the main crank nut?

Here below is that Vernon engine as found.   :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:34:09 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 09:55:47 PM »
thanks stuart all good stuff  :) bob will hate the Gordon all the more now  ;) I.C. links . then again doesn't the messerschmitt have a similar pedigree

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:23 AM »
The likelihood of a few IC converted Schmitts, possibly in orange, is hushed up, but yes anyway.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 12:42:57 PM »
Well I was thinking of the fend flitzer I.c.- surely where they started is it not ?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 08:47:35 AM »
Oh yes. It is the factiod that later activity is hushed up. As are the Trojan 'Dwarf' cars of which I have a seat and a few other parts. The stigma of disablement is very strong so the topic is conveniently ignored. Perhaps why the AC Petite has met with poor support by association undeserved. However the engineering problems to be resolved are challenging and of much more interest than settled production machinery.
A similar glossing over of facts relates to Sports cars. Like Tractor engines and manufacturers being used as base units for engines and production. Triumph Roadsters, Messerschmitt Tigers, Lamborgini, Pegaso etc. Selective history is a wonderful thing and greatly favoured in the media, see prior rant. What is there to be embarrassed about?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs