Author Topic: Sado 550 on Ebay  (Read 10630 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Sado 550 on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:14:21 AM »
A few of us guilty of taking advantage of free listing for cars yesterday. So some old favs will be up I expect. My 'Schmitt is actually substantially altered after further work as I never advertise a car the same twice if I can avoid it. If you continually stick things on eBay etc it seems to encourage the skip chasers rather than persuade a buyer to pay a lot of money. I am sad enough to be happy with most of my cars now so selling is a bit of a wrench and only to be sensible or gain finance for another project. This also seems relatively common with Microcars. A lot of projects appearing too and more likely open to offers I expect. Several Ex Al basket cases re appearing with more work done but not finished like the Zundapp. So many cars seem like Golf courses and take several owners to get them finished and working. Very often it is one of a select group that seem to do the end game in the end.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 08:50:33 AM »
I rather like this little car, wasnt the one that turned up at the open day last year a two stroke? I thought I heard it popping away or am I getting confused? This one is a four stroke twin.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 09:22:24 AM »
Dear Bob

As far as I am aware all SADO's were 550cc Daihatsu 4 strokes

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:39:26 AM »
So would that be similair to a some of the various Tuc Tucs that have made it over here? I think my Thai one was a Daihatsu. Its getting to the point where there might be good reason to have a post classic Microcar special National or something as there are a lot of very interesting little fellas over here that rarely get seen. Then again Rumcar meet kind of does this but not centrally.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:48:18 AM »
It must have been one of the other sans permis cars present I heard popping off!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »
 San Permis regulations initialay permited only petrol engines of 49cc capacity or less from about 1957 to 1980, then in about 1980, one of the manufacters (was it Liger?) managed to persuade the French authorities to permit latger diesel engines of up to 500cc, to be fitted & still keep the car within the sans Permis regulations of no tax, insurance, liscene etc. It would seem the basic argument which clinched the deal to allow diesel engines was that they were seen as terminally slow engines anyway! Typically French, if a petrol engine of between 51cc & 125cc had been fitted, the car would then be in Class A1, which does require number plates tex & insurance, & could only be driven by someone over the age of whatever the mininimum age for "proper" car driving is in France.  As a sideline, that's why 125cc versions of the Inter were offered as well as the standard 175cc type, a tax dodge for cheaper tax, etc etc etc.....  ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:37:12 PM »
Sorry Stuart, you are quite right, what I meant to say was Quadricycle class vehicles. I have always wondered about the alleged 125 Inter, was it really sold by the factory as a 125 or was it converted later. The dates you quote are also significant because Inter production ceased in 1956 and if the sans permis thingy started in 57 it was all too late for Inters to sign up to sans permis anyway unless it is one of the cars that were rumoured to have been assembled in later years from left over parts. I have never seen any brochures offering the Inter in both 175 and 125 guise. If you are right it makes the plot that much more interesting, do you have something in writing that I have missed to substantiate this?  Cheers, Bob

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 06:38:02 PM »
I think the total lack of performance of the small cc cars was a factor as they were so slow that even the French could not put up with them. While the big cars are restricted they are quicker. In the Lot the main owners are older farmers who can use all the tax breaks and loopholes available and market day can see a rash of the things in between the favourite little white vans. I do not know the demogragh of usage but I think the really small stuff has tended to become phunky stuff for pratting about in and concentrated near resorts where they can be rented. I can recall the Comtesse agent just south of Cherberg was renting out Lambretta engined cars and Comtesse to tourists. Shades of Jaques Tatti. Fizzer would have been in heaven.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 06:57:51 PM »
Jacques Tati's Monsieur Hulot's Holiday, with that lovely Salmson (?) Cyclecar, brill.

I think the SP cars are also permitted transport for drivers disqualified for Drunk Driving, so they can still get around a little,  but suffer the shame of not being in a proper car
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 07:40:38 PM »
Did I tell you that The Shadows Number "Foot tapper" was written for a Jaques Tatti film but was never used so they put it out as a single and it was one of there biggest hits!  This of course has nothing to do with The Sado's [sounds like shadows] or maybe we are the Sado's?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
Sados or Saddos?!
Someone really should have started a car company called Masochist, and amalgamated with Sado!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 08:02:54 PM »
Dar Stuart Bob and company

The manufacurer that managed to get diesel engines accepted for SP vehicle was Duport with a 360cc engine. Later vehicles did have 510cc engines

The engine in the SADO is the same type of engine as used in some of the TucTuc's and it has proved to be a very good engine. For me the best Daihatsuengine is the three cylinder 660cc unit which is both smooth and powerful for such a small motor, especially the turbocharged versions.

SP vehicles are much more popular in the north than in the south where the land is flatter and the weather is worse. In the south they all ride mopeds and bikes as it is warmer and generally dryer. Also most SP vehicles are driven by retired people who are on low incomes and who have never taken a driving test, and some young people The Microcar New Street was made especially for ththe younger group, but it never properly took off as it was not cool to be seen driving any form of SP vehicle.

I hope that has been of assistance.

Chris Thomas

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 08:31:52 PM »
San Permis regulations initialay permited only petrol engines of 49cc capacity or less... that's why 125cc versions of the Inter were offered as well as the standard 175cc type, a tax dodge for cheaper tax, etc etc etc.....  ;)

This also accounts for the 49cc version of the KV, known as the Gad'Jet.  Sadly it lacks the roller drive of the 125cc Mini 1.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 09:50:24 AM »
These cars are a whole and full subject of thier own. They also remain affordable in the main. Is Tony Marshall wise to move to France? Look, Microcars, fassands ov 'em! A topic to learn about and understand. You can never know everything and it is just as well as it would be a boring world.