Author Topic: The end of tyres as we know it?  (Read 6334 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
The end of tyres as we know it?
« on: February 27, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
Is this the future?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:44:28 PM by Bob Purton »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: The end of tyres as we know it?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
Things like this have been around since before the Lunar Rover, but perhaps road versions will soon have their time
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 07:08:04 AM »
Swiftly followed by the disposable composite wheel. No more stingers for the Police who will have to go back to a titanium alloy broomhandle to stop runaway cars.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
One of the oldest "open" tyres that I have seen is in a lovely old photo of an archetypal "nutty inventor" type, with glasses and bald dome surrounded with fly-away hair. He is sitting sitting in or on a huge motor Unicyle whose tyre is open-cell in design so he can see through it while driving along the road.

Tyres use a lot of materials, labour, water and energy to produce, and modern quieter engines mean that tyre noise is now the worst part of the din of heavy traffic, and they have a fair bit of rolling resistance which reduces MPG. They are woefully antiquated ..... BUT... as far as I know no "high tech" solution has yet been able to improve on the wide range of behaviour and use characteristics that tyres  actually do rather well.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:41:21 AM »
AS you know Marcus I find the perpetual forwarding of attachments annoying but as the one about these tyres is quite interesting I have forwarded to your email. Apparently they are being produced in South Carolina.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
Cheers Bob, will have a look!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 10:28:20 AM »
One of the oldest "open" tyres that I have seen is in a lovely old photo of an archetypal "nutty inventor" type, with glasses and bald dome surrounded with fly-away hair. He is sitting sitting in or on a huge motor Unicyle whose tyre is open-cell in design so he can see through it while driving along the road.

Tyres use a lot of materials, labour, water and energy to produce, and modern quieter engines mean that tyre noise is now the worst part of the din of heavy traffic, and they have a fair bit of rolling resistance which reduces MPG. They are woefully antiquated ..... BUT... as far as I know no "high tech" solution has yet been able to improve on the wide range of behaviour and use characteristics that tyres  actually do rather well.

Make traffic lighter, use smaller, well made and lighter vehicles. We are still in the 'green room' where the next biggest 4 by 4 is the best thing to be seen driving round town in. Spherical objects!

OK if that is what it takes to make things green in town remove the roadway area required for insert of tram systems not using wheels at all. This leaves space for light weight cars not tanks. No need for smut bot buses. Tax the crap out of anything big. Sort out delivery of goods properly via a few arterial routes and time zones. Link the new system to the sensible generating sources we have access and the technology for but have neglected to actually invest in correctly and build in our special position of not actually needing to import energy at all! We then have minimal independent traffic and a green city or two. This is a green policy in the way that several 13 amp plugs on the M1 and M6 to Richards house in Bob's G Whiz isn't. Tyres are so last century.

It then remains to come up with efficient solutions for rural transport, a much more difficult question but greatly answered by shifting all the commuters out of it to the 'rail' heads. They will not be around to complain about agriculture, a few dead rabbits and open caste coal mining. For real efficiency all able bodied non workers will be placed in large wheels generating electricity for commuters who pay their state benefits in tax. Here they will be chased by banned dog breeds rather than these being killed off, offsetting the affor mentioned dead rabbits for the bunny huggers. The reduction in road deaths will offset the losses to lazyness or death by natural causes in the wheels cleared up by the said dogs and thus minimal feed overheads or funerals as coffins will be pooper scooper bags down the crem for a knock down drop that plop, £25 to the Co Op. Tyres will still be exhibited at the Zoo where they will be the property of great apes. Some of these will have hydraulic jacks and tools but will not have noticed the difference!

AC = Alternative Correctness. Badges, shirts, flags and political key fobs available from my agent at the ICR.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 05:21:31 PM »
Tyres will still be exhibited at the zoo?  I s that another cultural difference, or are you referring to the ones they hang on ropes for the great apes to swing from?

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
I remember reading a spoof article in Road & Track back in the 1970s about live cellular tyres made from a sort of bacteriological culture that would evolve and adapt itself to changing road conditions. It might have been around the same time they did a road test of an aircraft carrier. Trouble is these days people think Top Gear invented the wheel.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 10:26:02 PM »
Is this the future?
No.

Michelin invented the Tweel (Tyre and Wheel) a long time ago - like 10 years or so - but it has never taken off.  I believe they found that it produced vibration at speeds over 50mph that they just couldn't cure.  So military uses and any future lunar rover are the only things likely to have Tweels in future.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 10:51:06 PM »
Ok for speeds less than 50mph? Ok for my microcars then.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 12:23:51 AM »
Tyres will still be exhibited at the zoo?  I s that another cultural difference, or are you referring to the ones they hang on ropes for the great apes to swing from?

Yes, at least the apes have a common behaviour either side of the water. You could be forgiven for doubting though, most of the Brits struggle with my rambles at times and then that fails to be humour, which is my fault.