Author Topic: Brighton Run  (Read 4657 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Brighton Run
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
Is anybody planning on watching the London to Brighton run this November?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Brighton Run
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 04:21:27 PM »
Might do, is it this week end? (He asks, hoping that everyone will think it is for the benefit of any reader who might not know, when in fact he is also as ignorant as them).
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »
Its Sunday the 6th November.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
Cheers Squire!
In that case I might not watch it.
Unless I can persuade them to re-route it through Strood, Kent!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 05:15:37 PM »
can you see it from oop north if it's cloudy  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »
I should try seeing it from the top of Blackpoooool tower!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
Will Fabian Fresson be on it?

The Schmitt types always go to a lay-by near Redhill I believe.

Sure there is something else on that weekend but it has never been something that appealed to me enough to trek round the edge of London. Somehow I do not connect with those sorts of machines. I even briefly flirted with a Humberette from Orkney but found it more interesting to sell into Friesland.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
oh i definetly see the attraction of the cars . LOVE THEM ! but the thought of traveling south of the watford gap too often makes me rather queesy  :(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 08:15:46 PM »
Dear Bob

This year will be the first time in 10 years that I will miss it. She who must be obeyed has arranged for us to see friends in Cheltenham.

My advice is watch the event at Redhill. Malcolm Thomas and all his schmitt clan meet opposite the shell garage at the bottom of the hill on the south side of the town centre. This is where all the old cars slow down so you get a good look at them, also there is a cafe for a hot drink.

Always a good event and free, which makes it so much better.

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »
Last year the owner of this 1899 de Dion broke his contracting band hand brake just outside the World's Biggest And Best Drum Factory In The Whole Of South Bermondsey (Probably). This was on Saturday afternoon when all garages had closed. With my stocks of metal, pillar drill, lathe and welder we were able to get it repaired and off he went.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Captain_Bubble/SDC12899.jpg

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 08:57:55 AM »
Last year the owner of this 1899 de Dion broke his contracting band hand brake just outside the World's Biggest And Best Drum Factory In The Whole Of South Bermondsey (Probably). This was on Saturday afternoon when all garages had closed. With my stocks of metal, pillar drill, lathe and welder we were able to get it repaired and off he went.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Captain_Bubble/SDC12899.jpg

To many quips to mention, drumming up business, drum brakes etc etc.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »
Luckily the break happened outside my drum! Then we used my welder to stick the two parts together and fill the gap to make a complete hoop. Then he was able to beat it, and head on his way. He must be Bluddy Rich to own such a car. Perhaps he also owns a Mini Krupa. Without my help he would have had to shell out much more. Once in Brighton he probably decided to snare a skinful. perhaps his name is Tom. A veteran car is a cymbal of wealth, but a bumpy ride, and not good if you have a crash.

There you go. me old china!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 05:59:35 PM »
stop banging on about it !  :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 06:48:11 PM »
Is that percussive paragraph a kind of Jive talk? It could catch on.

Off to another clubnight. Its all go round here. Well only just. Hmmp!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 08:30:42 AM »
[quote author=Chris Thomas (Insight) link=topic=3009.msg19099#msg19099 date=1319483746

My advice is watch the event at Redhill. Malcolm Thomas and all his schmitt clan meet opposite the shell garage at the bottom of the hill on the south side of the town centre. This is where all the old cars slow down so you get a good look at them, also there is a cafe for a hot drink.

Chris Thomas
[/quote]

Are you sure it is not fascination of MIcronauts who want to watch something slower up the hill than their fav bolide?