Author Topic: DRK for sale.  (Read 11806 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
DRK for sale.
« on: April 13, 2009, 07:49:36 PM »
Another Morganesque car, traditional construction methods, renault 5 engine. Will Chris's leg fit in this one? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRK-1930s-style-Threewheeler-sports-car_W0QQitemZ170320981764QQihZ007QQcategoryZ2192QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: DRK for sale.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
They are not the best looking Morgan (F) style, but I have heard that they are very well designed and built, and probably very liveable-with.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 08:36:17 PM »
I had a chat with the designer and builder of these at a past National Rally. They were factory built by himself, not kits although you could buy a partially built one. He told me he retired from work and built the first one for himself looking forward to playing with it in his retirement but people kept asking him to build them one so he set up DRK and cancelled the retirement! They are well built but a bit boxy.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 09:39:26 AM »
Dear Bob

What my leg does has no bearing on what my brain tells it to do. While my brain wants to drive the car often my leg (especially the right leg will just refuse to get in. The left leg is no problem, it is always the right one that stands there and sulks, saying he is always left out!!!

Of course the DRK is not truly a Microcar, even if it does have three wheels. So while the Renault 5 engine layout works well in this vehicle I will have to say NO. Sorry about that.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 10:05:14 AM »
I think I have the answer Chris, a sure way to get the right leg in is to buy a LHD! Worry about the left leg latter!  :D About the DRK not being a microcar, because you mentioned the Grinnell Scorpion I thought that didn't matter. Back in the mid nineties we did actually order a DRK for Shelley but because we specified an auto gearbox he wouldn't build it, apparently the gearbox being out front on the Renault would have been to long and would have extended out through the grill. He said the cars are supposed to represent a 1930's sportscar and that would spoil the looks, I pointed out that many 1930's sportscars had engine castings protruding from the lower grill anyway but he was adamant. Shelley ended up with a Berkeley replica with metro auto lump fitted which was more suitable as it was a hard top, its the one that Steve Baylis now owns and is on the list for attending the celebrations weekend although isn't a microcar. Still, I'm all for extending the boundaries to include these three wheelers especially the Triking 1000[I'm assuming its 1000cc.] & AF Spider etc.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
I am also happy for the occasional "outsider" to be included, if it is rare, unusual or interesting in any way, as long as the core remains pukkha

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 12:30:57 PM »
 Does those latter comments include invalid carriages we wonder?....   ;)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 12:47:27 PM »
I don't mind the odd one, preferably from before the 'toilet blue' era, and the more it resembles a Bath Chair the better, IMHO

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 02:09:40 PM »
Fear friends

You are all absolutly correct. My Elswick has an 850 mini engine and others have 1275cc engines, Tony Marshalls TiCi has a mini engine, and some of the Relients and the WMC have 850cc engines so should we push for a sub register of unusual small cars with three and four and six wheelers up to 1299cc and an electric sub registerand for all electric cars and Hybrids? and then where do we stop?

I have tried the left hand drive trick and then the left leg feels left out.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 02:19:43 PM »
Hi Stuart, I ditto Marcus view and I see that two are registered already, any more than this would be disproportionate. It was said that we dont want a field full of Bond Bugs at the expense of rare microcars attending and that applies to all including IC's. Do you think you will get your microcar MOT'ed for the event?  

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »
Where indeed would it stop Chris. Rumcars was set up I believe to cater for the needs of rare microcars that didnt have a one make owners club, Reliants, bugs trikings, JZRs DRK's etc, all have there own clubs and registers, others of the vehicles mentioned come under kit cars, invalid carraiges have Stuarts club and for the electric vehicles there is the Battery Vehicle society which is excellent! They may not be your cup of tea Chris but lets just worry rare microcars.