Author Topic: Nobel brake cable length  (Read 6734 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Nobel brake cable length
« on: February 28, 2014, 05:49:18 PM »
Would someone be kind enough to measure the length of their drivers side front brake cable for me please. I think I have made mine too long!   Just the length of the outer cable please.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Nobel brake cable length
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »
do you not have one of these for the car bob - i thought you would have perhaps someone on the forum has ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 01:51:24 PM »
Could somebody help me with this please?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 02:37:47 PM »
well i presume it would be in here - if you have the sheets inc. Nobel
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 03:16:31 PM »
I haven't gotten out of bed yet, and for once it is actually pouring outside.
First break in the rain, and equipped with more awake brain, rain coat and tape measure, and I will be happy to oblige.
Expect your answer within just an hour or two.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 06:31:58 PM »
I don't have that book Richard so its not helping. This requires the dirt under the finger nails approach from a Nobel owner like Steven , Jonathan or Mike Ayriss.

"They say it never rains in California, it pours, man it pours!" Who sang that?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 06:49:24 PM »
Commonly on ebay . Thought it might remind someone to look . Why have a rough guide of an almost certainly replacement cable if someone has the facts ? Get back to the source if possible - anyway glad you appreciated my endeavours looking through what I had -

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:26 PM »
It was the Mamas and the Pappas.
Not much grease under my fingernails,  but pants got soaked, got a crick in my neck, and it has taken 25 minutes to get this reply plus one picture to post.
It appears that if I try to send 2 pictures I get a message that my file is too big, and then will not let me post even after I delete one picture- unless, I start a new reply, and then it tells me I already have a picture attachment, and asks if I want to remove it.  When I then retry posting my original reply plus attachment, the server tells me that I left the body of the message blank.
Whatever? :-\  The number that you are looking for is 51 inches, if my original appearing car, with original wooden floor is an acceptable guide.  I guesstimated an extra 1 and 1/4 " for its roughly diagonal transit through my non measurably thick wooden floorboard.  The picture should be downloaded for clarity, and then magnified to reveal its somewhat hard to discern angled path, so you can judge for yourself.
This measurement was made from threaded end to threaded end of the outer cable.
Curious to know why mine is apparently adjusted to near the end of its threaded length on both ends, as my car is not a high miler, and I didn't think the shoe linings to be particularly thin.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:34:16 PM by steven mandell »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 07:55:12 PM »
Hi Steven. I'm very grateful but I think you have measured the wrong side.  Its the short drivers side length I was in need of.  When I said the driver side I am of course referring to the driver side of the car and not to be confused with the fact that you usually drive your cars on the left side. Hmm, have the "pants" dried out yet? There is no hurry, wait for the rain to dry up.  Thanks again, Bob

Oh yeh, I had forgotten they did a cover, it was Albert Hammonds song though and re-released many times over the years. I love it!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:02:30 PM by Bob Purton »

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 08:37:42 PM »
Sorry!
I am so used to getting in to cars from the left that I never looked up long enough to see the steering wheel on the other side!
Your number is 28 and a half inches.  That includes the one and a quarter inch estimate for the diagonal floorboards transit, and a bit of fingernail grease.  Same adjustment noted to almost longest possible housing length on my original set up.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 08:56:24 PM »
Many thanks Steven. That sounds more like it. The one I made is a little too long and could be why its fouling the tyre. I need to lose a few inches.   Thanks again.   Bob