Author Topic: SAVE THE CURLEW!  (Read 5889 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
SAVE THE CURLEW!
« on: June 13, 2013, 08:57:22 PM »
 ON BEHALF OF TONY MARSHALL;

SAVE THE CURLEW!

No, not an endangered bit of wildlife, but a very endangered car...  Tony Marshall's Curlew, as featured in Rum Car News issue 80, must go to pastures new, and as soon as possible. The garage in which it resides is due for demolition at the end of this month, and if nobody is prepared to take action, the Curlew will surely die at the self same time.

For those who do not know, the Curlew is a total one-off, built by Harold Boultbee & Kit Calvert (The Dales Motor Company) at Wensleydale, Yorkshire, in the late 1940s. It is important in history as one of the few (Only?) cars ever made in the Dales. EVERYTHING about it is unique, from the plywood body, to the five-stud wheels mounted on four-stud axles, to the completely homemade engine. It has a complete history file right back to when it was built & all background of both the car and the people involved. Like so many of the microcars we know and love, it was built for a Brave New World, but the Brave New World only looked the other way.

This is not the time to discuss the pros and cons of the Curlew as a topic of discussion. ACTION is needed NOW before the Curlew really is lost forever. It needs a new knight in shining armour, and it needs him NOW to get it away to a better place for a few more years.

Are YOU prepared to save and own the Curlew, and its own piece of history that it represents?  Do not delay. On behalf of Tony Marshall, I ask anyone who is prepared to do so, to contact me at invacar@yahoo.co.uk as soon as possible.  

Remember, the time for talk is later, now is the time for ACTION before it is too late for the Curlew.....
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:01:36 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: SAVE THE CURLEW!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 11:42:46 AM »
Would love to save it, but no room to put it and not enough cash to give it the restoration it deserves. Hopefully there will be a positive outcome and you'll keep us informed?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
I think one of the problems in placing this car is that it is quite big'ish. It doesnt appeal to me but there must be someone out there that likes weird one offs!

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
I love weird one offs and would love this but know it'll sit for a while before being touched.

If that isn't an issue, I'd happily take it on.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 01:28:43 PM »
If you are serious then private message Jean or Stuart. The time scale for doing anything with it  is not an issue, Tony Marshal had it for years and didnt touch it either. We just need someone to save it.

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »
I emailed Stuart this morning - I could hire a trailer and be off in MK quickly and easily within the next two weekends.

I would need to chuck my smart roadster out of the garage but that isn't a huge problem.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 02:23:17 PM »
 Hello Campbell, yes, your message arrived earlier today but this is the first chance I've had to sit down & answer everything.

Another member of this forum stepped up over the weekend and volunteered to take on the Curlew (I'll leave it to he to announce himself if he wants to at this stage) and right now we are in the midst of sorting out the removal logistics & all the ins & outs that go with it. You'll certainly be held as first reserve Campbell, if whats going on at the moment all falls through. I'll keep in touch with regular updates....

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 02:29:14 PM »
I found a local connection for Boultbee in Gloucestershire too, which may be of interest to the new owner.

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Geared-success-ndash-cost-cut-scooter-sales/story-18066601-detail/story.html#axzz2WToKMOWb

If it falls through, do let me know. I'm not surprised someone has rescued this!

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
The bird has flown
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 05:16:55 PM »
 NEWSFLASH; 28th JUNE 2013

The Curlew is clear of Milton Keynes and is standing safe & sound on the trailer outside my house right now, en route to its new home.

I have completed my mission, and the Curlew is safe for the future.

Over & out til Monday.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 07:30:43 PM »
Well done Stuart.  Please don't forget to let the new owner know that his new venture is R987 on the Register oi unusual Microcars and to let Alastair know the details of the new owner's name and address.  Thanks a lot
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 11:04:38 PM »
Great to hear. :)  Hopefully we'll get to see it at a major rally some day.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"