Author Topic: The Meadows Frisky  (Read 6802 times)

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
The Meadows Frisky
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:36:32 PM »
Those of you interested in Frisky history will be pleased to hear that I have recently been contacted by Raymond Flower and he has very kindly supplied me with first hand information on his time with the Frisky and also why the Frisky never was produced in Egypt.

I have added two new pages  “The Early Years” and “A Car for Egypt” onto The Frisky Web site under “History”. Sorry there’s no pictures as yet on the Early Years page but I’ll get there!

(OK so this is small beer to you lot, but I must admit I was gobsmacked, if you’ll excuse the expression )

So I hope you will enjoy this insight into Frisky history as much as I did receiving it

Regards
John Meadows
www.meadowsfrisky.co.uk

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
Re: The Meadows Frisky
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »
A fantastic addition to the Webb site.Very interesting, it sounds like they were flying by the seats of their pants.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 06:54:59 PM »
Thanks John, a fascinating read which gives a very good idea of the problems facing new small companies, as true now as it has always been, as I know all too well!
I have mentioned it here before but in case you missed, last time I was at the Black Country Open Air museum at Dudley they had a Frisky F3 and a tiny Kiefft racing car on display. Great place to visit, ride on their trolley buses, see the reprodction of the 1712 Newcomen Atmospheric Engine and a whole lot more.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Nice! Was a prototype Frisky Ramses built? With shaft drive and other body?

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:00:08 PM »
i found it interesting to find that even then there was a problem with american fuel and the petrol tanks . its taken a long time to reach this side of the pond  :) what did frisky's do about the petrol tanks in u.s. or have i missed that ? 

blimey are you amazed john that we have read it ! well the forum is very quiet  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 08:39:30 PM »
Re -- the drive shaft, I never actualy addressed that, but do not think so as Raymond comented after the whole project had gone down the plug hole "well at least it had one great advantage it solved the transmission problem."

There was a Ramses the Gamila, which at a brief glance looked Frisky-ish This was due to its Frisky screen and simlar styled body. It is posible that this may have incorporated left over Frisky components along with Prinz bits, but this is pure conjection on my behalf.

Re Petrol tanks.-- They did eventualy track down the problem and sort it (not recorded what new lining they used) but by then the out standing cost of all the upaid for Friskys USA bound had pushed them into dangerous financial waters.

No record of them coming back, there must be a lot of barn finds over there waiting discovery!!

John
www.meadowsfrisky.co.uk

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:52:49 PM »
Re -- the drive shaft, I never actualy addressed that, but do not think so as Raymond comented after the whole project had gone down the plug hole "well at least it had one great advantage it solved the transmission problem."

There was a Ramses the Gamila, which at a brief glance looked Frisky-ish This was due to its Frisky screen and simlar styled body. It is posible that this may have incorporated left over Frisky components along with Prinz bits, but this is pure conjection on my behalf.

Re Petrol tanks.-- They did eventualy track down the problem and sort it (not recorded what new lining they used) but by then the out standing cost of all the upaid for Friskys USA bound had pushed them into dangerous financial waters.

No record of them coming back, there must be a lot of barn finds over there waiting discovery!!

John
www.meadowsfrisky.co.uk

Looks very frisky-ish to me!

Probably used a frisky window I think
Mopeds:

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »
Don't be fooled by that screen---compare the front of that car with the front of the NSU ramses on the web site and you will see whats realy underneath.

john

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
I see similarity, but very different on the windowline. The NSU Ramses reminds me of the Shopper...
Mopeds:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 08:00:43 AM »
Very interesting stuff. Sorts out a lot of muddle into a clear set of events. Shows the difficulties of producing a successful car are not restricted to any one trade/profession. While it is clear you need someone to drive the company forward there needs to be balance. Hard to achieve with changing staff and ownership, the odd clash of personalities. Finally we have a minor breakthrough being spoilt politically, allowing Johnny Foreigner to take the spoils not only loosing market abroad but undermining a British company at home. A process not diminished by years or experience sadly as they are still doing it!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 09:12:45 PM »
From a microcar friend in France - Guy Coriatt

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1051681865665&set=a.1051681065645.9415.1634311757&type=1&theater

If you can see the facebook photos, he has a nice Schmitt and had a Fiat Multipla.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:14:35 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 10:35:42 PM »
Is that John's Sport?
1958 FriskySport

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 02:18:29 PM »
Hi Mark
Well spotted, Yes that's my Sport . Mike Webster took it to France about 7-10 years ago

John