Author Topic: Scootacar on ebay  (Read 13246 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Scootacar on ebay
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 06:15:45 AM »
Oh come on Pete, no one has the money to buy all the cars to keep them in there country of origin, least of all me! There is also a huge difference between £1200 and 25/30K, not that either of those scootacars are going to sell at that anyway! My little campaign is not to control the market like some clubs have tried to do with some success I might add but merely to create awareness as to how few of these cars there are left now in the uk. I would like to think that with this awareness if a seller has the choice of selling the car to someone abroad or in the uk they would choose the latter.

GoggoPete

• Occasional
    • Essex DAFs
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Granted there is a huge difference. But, there are UK citizens who are prepared to pay millions for a classic Ferrari so the money is out there, just out of the range of you and I. Sadly they chose not to spend their money on a Scootercar. If you have to sell then you have to sell and if the only money is coming from abroad...
Addicted to quirky tatt!
DAF32 (for sale), DAF33 (being restored), DAF33 van (in the queue), DAF66 estate (being restored), DAF66 coupe (daily DAF), Goggomobil 250 Limousine, Rover SD1 V8

www.essexdafs.proboards.com

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »
I take your point Pete. The other factor that would make a difference is asking the real value rather than a highly inflated one based on the hysteria that was Bruce Weiners sale.

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 03:53:18 PM »
The trouble with this way of thinking is you sell it to a so called enthusiast who then resells at vastly inflated prices why should you be the one to give it away!
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »
Ooh err, I've just gone to an inflation calculator site. Results as follows for three of my cars owned in '76.

Sold in 1976. Peel P50 for £40, now 2013 worth £201.30p.  Sold in 1976. Peel P50 for £260, now 2013 worth £1308.44p

Sold in 1977. Tourette for £620, now worth £2693.25p. 

That means if I had kept them for the past 37 years  they would be worth in today's money, £4202.99p

Hang on! If you could get hold of the genuine cars today the cost to you would be 60 grand (£60,000) plus. Cor! where did I go wrong?  ;D ;D   
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 05:32:14 PM »
I knew you already had one Steven
I'm not at all sure what your point is there Steven .
I'm not going to insult your intelligence or level of empathy for other non British human beings wellfare by pretending to accept that you are incapable of comprehending my point.
For sake of clarity of reference, I will recap it.  While matters of national pride are not inconsequential, there are other human factors that any one reasonably empathetic to others state of well being should not pretend to be immune to.
If you saw a stranger bleeding on the street, I doubt that you would confirm that he was English before deciding to call an ambulance.
Whilst that is of course an overly extreme example- it does make the point.
It is after all an individual, not a country that buys these cars.
If an individual from a country other than your own is willing to sacrifice more to obtain a vehicle because they feel a greater need for it to allow themselves a happier/ more fulfilled existence- that factor deserves equitable consideration from any civilized and normally empathetic entity.  I simply know you well enough to know that you would not be intentionally cruel to an individual, if you allowed your self to see the full panorama of individual emotional well beingness at stake in these situations.
I agree that it would be nice for at least some of the more rare English creations to remain in England/ UK so that they can be appreciated within their country of origin.  But if that is indeed the prime motivating factor, then any one representing a museum open to the public should get preference, which ultimately translates to being allowed to purchase for less money, if that is what they need to land the microcar.
And with similar line of reasonings, that museum's degree of exposing the car to the public of both your own locality and that of the world deserves consideration.
Think for a moment about how Bruce Wiener's museum, whilst it was intact, elevated the world's exposure and appreciation for microcars from your country.  The fact that he had a well constructed website, was probably at least as influential in spreading the joy of these cars as the fact that they could be visited all at one time.
So as I said before Bob, you have a legitmate point of view, but no single view point of consideration deserves absolute dominance to the point of not being open to other factors that affect the well being of a world's worth of human beings.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 05:35:12 PM by steven mandell »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 09:59:48 PM »
Steven, I think we are on different planets!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 10:09:14 PM »
i think perhaps you two will just have to agree to differ  :-\
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 11:31:33 AM »
Well,  at least I wasn't the one to insult anyone else's intelligence. ;)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
I'll let you have the last say Steven , as I like you! ;)