Author Topic: Opperman Unicar  (Read 9415 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Opperman Unicar
« on: December 13, 2013, 05:40:25 PM »
Things have been deadly quite on the forum for the last few days.
In an attempt to kick start a conversation, what do we know about Unicars? How many are there left, what engines were used, are they terrible to drive???????????????????????  What say you all?????????????????????????

Any photos??

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Opperman Unicar
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 07:33:41 PM »
Theres a good bit in that Classic British Cars program.

http://youtu.be/QwlpeEW67GM?t=2m30s
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
I had completely forgotten about that John Peel program. I wonder if old Mr Stevenson got that bit about the tracking the right way around, I thought all cars had a tow in, not a tow out?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 12:35:59 AM »
We had a feature on the forum this time last year when we discussed them being supplied for home assembly in a large wooden crate . Try search . I watched that prog again the other day as we are hoping to get Brians old Unicar down to Jeans on loan this Sunday. Talking to his sons it was a well used car and a small bracket attached in the centre of the rear bumper held a tow hitch for a trailer to carry Go-Karts !. About 10 or so left I think . Rear wheels about 3 feet apart and no diff. Excelsior 328twin with Albion 4 speed box with seperate lever to shift into reverse , same engine as Berkeley and Frisky ?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 11:41:27 AM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:51:35 AM »
I thought all Frisky's were Villiers powered?

super-se7en (Malc Dudley)

• Quite Chatty
  • Two Frisky sports
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 10:08:07 AM »
The frisky family 3 mark two was excelsior powered.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 11:00:50 AM »
Ah thanks, didn't know that!

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:38:58 AM »

Looks like a wonderful collection. Who do we have to thank for providing us the opportunity of seeing these gems, and
 how long ago was the video filmed?
Are they still on a dirt floor?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
the engine was made by the British company Excelsior who also made their own Motorcycles and Scooters . As we know Brian , amongst others i'm sure  , received his in kit form to save purchase tax . whether Opperman got the idea from Excelsior or vice versa i don't know 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2013, 05:57:03 PM »

Looks like a wonderful collection. Who do we have to thank for providing us the opportunity of seeing these gems, and
 how long ago was the video filmed?
Are they still on a dirt floor?
/quote]

That was way back in the late 1990's before the Hammond Collection had its own special building with a concrete floor and completely
waterproof.  My late husband was responsible for saving the cars, from about 1976 onwards, many of which were heading for the crusher.  Sadly, Edwin's  time ran out before they got  their own building and only a few of them were restored.  The family, and group of enthusiasts are struggling to keep them together and available for viewing by private arrangement.  Once a year, usually the last Sunday of July, we hold an Open Day and other enthusiasts often drive their microcars to join us which is great fun.  The Collection is currently surviving because of some generous donations of money, spares to sell and, not least of all, time spent helping to maintain them by all manner of people.
The Brian Stevenson's Unicar is in fact being loaned to the  Hammond Collection to be put on show with its sister car the Stirling and we hope it will be in situ ready for the 2014 season.
There are only seven Unicar's on the Register, and the whereabouts of three of those is now uncertain, and of course  our Stirling is  the only one Stirling that survived.   Jean

Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »
Dear Jean,
I thought that they might be yours, but didn't want to make any assumptions.
Upon clearer viewing ith my new laptop, I see that most are on concrete with just some leaves blown in and about.
Looks like a scaled up version of my collection, except that I still do not have a single structure to house them all.

Too bad I do not live locally to yourself.  If I did, I would want to organise weekly meetings where attenndees brought refreshments, and had the excellent opportunity to get their hands a little dirty completing your husband's dream.
Now that would be a win-win for all! 8)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 09:40:37 PM »
Dear Steve

Why not fly over to London Gatwick on a Friday night red eye I could collect you from the airport on Saturday morning and we could be at the collection by Saturday Lunch time. Sunday afternoon flight back and you could be home for Monday morning. Flights are at their cheapest in late January/February. How about it?

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 10:12:47 PM »
Sounds tempting!
I am actually under my AC Petite at this moment, pulling out the trans that I got on EBay UK earlier this year as (lucky for me) nobody else in the UK wanted or needed it.
Clutch not disengaging at all, but I am now hopefull that the pressure plate springs are all adjusted far too tightly, as a look through the mini manual that Alan Bud was kind enough to provide me with, indicates that the clutch spring adjuster nuts should be level with the ends of their retaining bolts- yet these were delivered a full 1/4" inboard of that level.  So whatever it came out of probably had the same problem.
In any event, this time I will take the clutch pack all apart and see which trans has the best parts before putting it all back together, and readjusting it all.
Similar concerns for clutch cable and several areas where shifter can be adjusted.
As you can see, with about a dozen other micros in similar states of need, not to mention the other half dozen of or so that are considerably worse, my time budget is already overbooked.
Might make more sense to come by when Jean next opens the doors, and hopefully I could attend a rally too.
Despite the temptation of your simplistic suggestion, I, like most others of only average means, have a financial budget to contend with.
So it would really only make sence to me if I could stay longer for at least a couple of events, and maybe come back with some hard to find/ ship part as at least a partial justification.
Wouldn't mind seeing Andy Carter's shop and collection while I'm there also.
Periscope up, .I'm coming up from under the Petite to pull the trans from topside now.
Wish me luck, and thanks for considering my well being.
Steve

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 12:11:41 AM »
Agghhh!  (Download attachment below to see horrifying picture)
Good thing my original trans and clutch weren't left in the rain.
From now on I'm inspecting everything before installation.
With a little luck, between my original clutch,  and new trans it will become road worthy.
(one hour later)...

Just completed pulling off the rusty stack of 6 clutch plates and disks.
For once glad to have an English transmission with an oil leak, as it made only the furthest underlying flywheel surface saveable from the corrosion that ruined all above it.
After chipping off all the aluminum oxide from the inner surface of the clutch basket, it too looks surprisingly servicable.
Some time with steel wool on the flywheel face, and we should be in gear, or out of gear as the case may call for.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 12:17:39 AM by steven mandell »