Author Topic: Le lights avec pour the head  (Read 3960 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Le lights avec pour the head
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 07:12:13 PM »
BRILLIANT  ;D but more Spanglaise than Franglaise surely , love it but it does make me wonder about my pigeon english when i try and write something in German - which i definetly do not speak  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 10:15:37 PM »
Between September and November 2013, I translated the Biscuter book from Spanish to English using the Google translation facility, for the Spanish publishers. The translations were full of this and more baffling grammar, making what I though would be a simple editing exercise into a major exercise. Not only did the translator often screw up the grammar, but would choose the wrong meaning for a word that had more than one meaning, which made understanding the text even more baffling.

The result is a book that is at least readable, even if it is not the most literate tome. It was published in December and I will be reviewing the book in the next edition of RCN.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 10:33:39 PM »
Chris you are too modest, I've tried translating enough bits & pieces from German microcar books to know how much work would be involved in translating a whole book. I'm sure the número más grande Inglés Biscuter fans will be Muchas gracias of your efforts.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:23 PM »
Don't get me started on how these translators can never cope with the word "postillion" which is, of course, one of the most common to require translation, particularly during stormy weather.

Reminds me of Hoffnung's version of a European hotel's brochure: "every room is equipped with a French widow"

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:37:05 PM »
Andrew, do you mean Gerald Hoffnung the great cartoonist? I love his work, particularly the music related ones.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 09:47:57 AM »
Between September and November 2013, I translated the Biscuter book from Spanish to English using the Google translation facility, for the Spanish publishers. The translations were full of this and more baffling grammar, making what I though would be a simple editing exercise into a major exercise. Not only did the translator often screw up the grammar, but would choose the wrong meaning for a word that had more than one meaning, which made understanding the text even more baffling.

The result is a book that is at least readable, even if it is not the most literate tome. It was published in December and I will be reviewing the book in the next edition of RCN.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

A noble enterprise (I am Fulda praise - sorry). One worthy of a water cooled Hispanio Villiers hat to keep the old grey matter under control by the sounds of it. Hopefully the new edition will reward the work involved.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
Dear Readers

I have one copy of the Biscuter book for sale if anybody is interested. £25 plus P&P

Chris Thomas