Author Topic: Scootacar in the snow 1976  (Read 2855 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Scootacar in the snow 1976
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:38:24 AM »
Now then you South of England youngsters. 1976, 38 years ago, the year of the heatwave and snow!  Do you remember the quick snow storm we had in East Sussex one night in the Summer that disappeared next day? The photos show 4881 VT covered in the white stuff out on Polegates Pevensey Road slip road out side my house,  also photos before and after I re-sprayed it. I only had the car from May to September '76 when it was sold and found its way to Story, and is still there today? Having snow in summer was really a strange occurance and I wonder if anyone can recall when it happened.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 02:03:14 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Scootacar in the snow 1976
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 09:20:03 AM »
Pity there is no VT of VT.  ;D

I remember doing my exams in the heatwave. The invigilators were running about with water and wet cloths to keep us cool. Must of worked as I passed the lot save English, no dispensation for dyslexia then. It was being part of the Oxford study group that allowed the dispensation in my resit in the Autumn. The beginning of that allowance for clinically diagnosed suffers and subject to a set of tests. It was to allow for inverted spelling, consistent spelling error and poor written presentation. The content still had to be correct. In theory it was though worth 5% to the able student. I thus got Eng Lang and Eng Lit at C grade opening the way to higher education. It would suggest they had the balance right as I was no brilliant scholar at English, having had to catch up.

Snow, no. I recall Bristol suffering one of the worst thunderstorms I can remember. Purdown Microlink was struck frequently, destroying the lightning conductor, and Stapleton Church twice. The cellars got flooded and the lower bits of Bristol flash flooded. We were staying after the end of term to complete exams and went down to empty the cellars. Bit like some sort of war film. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 10:21:31 AM »
We have a splattering of Dyslexia in the family to a greater or lesser extent.
One of my sons was diagnosed at an early age and we gave him lots of help.  He has done well in his exams considering.
Dyslexia it seems it is a prerequisite for most good Engineers and entrepreneurs.

If it is any consolation AL, the schools still largely don't accept that dyslexia exists. 
It has not helped that our 'good friend' Michael Gove has introduced grammar and spelling into all subjects.
If you can't spell you are no good at Science?

Much of the trouble we have today is caused by youngsters who are essentially very bright but just can't get to grips with  reading and writing and have been failed in their education - they make very good criminals.

I could go on and on (and on) but I will stop.

Scootacars are great - wish I had one.

I remember the hot summer from my front room where I was studying for A levels and missed it all.
I don't recall the snow storm in Essex?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »
I think State schools largely do not except that teaching means assessing each pupil's needs and responding to them. Far easier to tick off boxes on some Gov induced list and pretend that all have learned what they need to go on and enjoy and compliment a working society. Oft times they have little choice of course.
Good teachers are worth their weight in gold. Fortunately I had some, but buy dint of my folks paying extra for the privilege, instead of swank cars in the drive and extra continental holidays. I have been very lucky. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:41 AM »
Wow! Yesterday a young lady and her son arrived to pick up some new shoes I was giving away. Started showing photos and chatting about microcars, as you do. Looking at the snowy Scootacar she said "Gran used to tell us about snow falling in August 1976 and we thought she was making it up!" Hooray, a bit of the puzzle sorted.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.