Author Topic: Mysterious micro  (Read 5671 times)

snowy

• Just Starting
Mysterious micro
« on: June 07, 2006, 11:43:34 PM »
As a new contributor to your site, I am a 56yr ex brit now living in Canada. My father lives in Douglas I O M and has sent me a photo of a car that was built in Peel sometime in the early 80s I believe. It appears to only have one door on the left hand side and is a 3 wheeler, 2 at the front and 1 rear, the engine is at the back driving the rear wheel a la Isetta. Angular in shape with a wedge front, it is shorter than a Bond bug narrower and taller. I recognise the door handle as coming from a caravan door and appears to have 8 inch wheels.
Anybody know what it is ?         I believer the builder still lives in Peel somewhere.

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: Mysterious micro
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 09:22:16 PM »
Welcome to you, it's good to have a Canadiian joining in the fun.  Would it be possible to send me a copy of the photograph?  We made a lot of good friends in the Manx Transport Museum Group when we were on the Island with our Peels last year.  Maybe one of them would be able to track your myterious vehicle down and we could then do an article in RUM CAR NEWS about it. Your could send it direct to my email address jeanrumcars@aol.com  I look forward to hearig from you.
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 04:16:05 PM »
Sounds a bit like a Bamby to me. Anyone else? ???

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 10:15:56 PM »
You could be right Stuart but of course it was never built on the Isle of Man.  However, I know there is one on the island which turned up just after the Peels to Peel Rally last year which had apparently lived on the island for some little whiile.  Lets hope Snowy produces a photograph then we shall know what we are looking for.
Jean

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 01:09:35 PM »
I think this car is a Peel prototype hitherto unsung built at the factory in late 1960.  It has a 200cc Lambretta engine and is currently owned by Grant Kearney.  He came back with it from the Isle of Man and was amazed to read that by co-incidence, it was causing interest of our Forum.  He tells me he hopes to clean it up and get it running again at some stage once he has put it on the Register.  There are some pictures of it on Andy Carter's web site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/andy.carter/
Jean

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 04:49:31 PM »
 :o Oh! That thing!! You know I did think of that Lambretta powered vehicle but didnt think it still existed. Well done Grant, now Im going to pester you none-stop to tell us all about it poste-haste...    ;)