Author Topic: My first restoration  (Read 8666 times)

milnes

• Quite Chatty
My first restoration
« on: January 18, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
I've now started my first ever restoration, it's been a long time coming
I need to stop buying!

just willam

• Occasional
Re: My first restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 09:18:50 AM »
what are you restoring

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 09:44:37 AM »
Not sure what happened to my post, did I hit delete on my I-pad before posting?
I need to stop buying!

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 09:51:52 AM »
Okay will try again  :o.
I'm going to be restoring 2 AC 70's simultaneously (look away if you have a plastic aversion)!

As this will be my first attempt at a restoration I will no doubt be leaning on the forum expertise for advise.

I've started by stripping the Body shell of all it's parts, i.e: Locks etc.

I know most people will have a slightly different method of restoration but I'm tempted to try and clean and refurb each part as it's removed from the cars. Once refurbished bag and store. Or is the most sensible option to just strip the cars and go back and start looking at all the bags?

My second question for now is concerning the locks.

Both cars came without keys.
I have an old Union key that fits one lock but won't turn. I've looked on the lock for a number but cant see one, is the number on the cylinder itself? How do you remove the cylinder from the lock?

Cheers for now.
I need to stop buying!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
The keys are mostly the same ones. Root will have the numbers. Two keys and you can drive nearly every IC made! Its a stadard pattern so dirt cheap to buy.

The best way to restore a car is the way that works for you. It is true that emotionally bolting things on is motivation. Endlessly pulling stuff apart to find issues can blunt your will. That is why so many part complete cars come up for sale. Generally they are missing bits not labelled or stored correctly.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate place for my post?
I will be asking general questions regarding restoration, so placing it in the Invalid carriage section may not be the best place for all to see and reply to my questions.
I can't see my question about restoration technique or locks being Invalid carriage specific, whoever moved my post may be able to explain why it is an invalid carriage only question?

It may be an idea for the moderators to explain why they wish to move a post before they do it, so we can discuss and put both sides of the case forward for the best placement of post!

I need to stop buying!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:25:10 AM »
Restoring two invalid carriages hmmm I wonder what section I should post that under ? Seems straightforward to me
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

DaveMiller

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »
I guess which section a posting is in doesn't make much difference to the "live" response you'll get ( though it will later make a difference for those searching by subject).

Most regular readers, surely, read the listing of recent posts, rather than opening each category?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »

Both cars came without keys.
I have an old Union key that fits one lock but won't turn. I've looked on the lock for a number but cant see one, is the number on the cylinder itself? How do you remove the cylinder from the lock?

Cheers for now.

FS 880 was the standard key number for all door, bonnet & boot locks on all Model 70's and also for the ignition. :)  Though confusing the issue, I have came across two cars with a random lock using FP 715 as though a batch of replacement locks were that in place of FS 880.   

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 06:18:48 PM »
Okay I've changed my mind, I'm now going to restore 2 of my Isettas, mmmmm maybe this isn't the best place to place my posting, hope you agree Richard? I think the point of my post is RESTORATION!
If the Mod who moved my post doesn't want to say publicly on the forum, then can you please send me a message through the site mail?
I need to stop buying!

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 06:23:43 PM »
 And now you can see why I don't post anywhere near as detailed or as often as I used to on here....

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 07:07:42 PM »
me too !! do enjoy yourself Milnes - wherever you post
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

plas man

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 08:40:46 PM »
what ever where ever , post plenty of picky's

(villiers 9E ? will bore out to 225 ex 1/2H)

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 09:44:33 AM »
Excellent, thanks for putting me back here, it's much appreciated  :D.
I need to stop buying!

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 01:39:01 PM »
So a few people have recommended to go on a few courses to get a better understanding of car Restoration.
One course I've been told that is extremely worthwhile is a Fibre Glass course.
Have any of the forum members any experience of this type of course, or indeed any other courses they have been on that has helped them with restoration knowledge?
I need to stop buying!