Author Topic: WHAT did they call this thing!!!!!  (Read 5226 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
WHAT did they call this thing!!!!!
« on: December 22, 2007, 10:31:27 PM »
 Apoliges in advance for lowering the the tone of things around here, but I can't get over the name of this thing. Plus, it gets worse the further down you go....   :o  :-[  ::)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1968-Cock-Assen-3-Wheel-Truck-Brochure-Microcar_W0QQitemZ320198045232QQihZ011QQcategoryZ35978QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

inacoma

Re: WHAT did they call this thing!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 10:50:47 AM »
Hi Stuart

We like it when the tone gets lowered.

Have sold the Comtesse Break to a nice chap in Mansfied.

Hope the Mini Comtesse is back on the road.

john

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2007, 12:52:47 PM »
 Hello John, a great pity you're selling the two Acoma's. :'(   Now what are we going to line up on Jean's lawn at the next Open Day? - Anyone else here got one?  ??? 

There's nothing really fundimentally wrong with my Mini-, its just that the local class 3 testing station seems to be messing me about a bit by saying they can't test it due to it "not fitting their equiptment." Yet the same station tests Berkleys & Trojan bubbles reqularly!  Personally I can't see the differance myself between the Comtesse & a Trojan, and I'm sure the MoT testers handbook states that not fitting the equptment is not a valid reason to refuse to test. You just have to do it the hard way rolling around on the floor.....

Added to this, there is only two Class 2 testing stations in the whole of this part of Oxfordshire, one in Abingdon & one in Enysham, neither of which is particulary close by Mini-Comtesse, so at the moment, with the way the testers seem to be flaffing me about, I am less than enthused to bother right now. Think I'll wait till the spring.

The only real faluts with the vehicle is cracked headlight lenses, non-working speedo & no seatbelt. The lenses have been sorted thanks to a pair of Heinkel lenses from the wonderus Mike Shepherd  :-*, the speedo & seatbelt I rekon don't matter anyway due to the vehicle limboing under the weight & engine size limits for such requirements. If the tester does start grumbling, I shall just ask them how, in that case, did it pass two MoT's in Leicester with flying colours in '05 & '06....

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »
Hi Stuart

I had similar problems getting my Poirier tested this year as it's too narrow to fit on the
ramp.  I suggested a couple of scaffold planks inboard of the ramps but the examiner
is too wary to be helpful.  In the end I went to a slightly more helpful garage who did
the test by ligting the wheels individually to test the brakes.

When I had my Acedes I had a Tapley meter on the floor and the examiner following me
up the road in a pick-up.  When he flashed his lights I had to brake sharply and he took the
reading from the decelerometer.  Great fun.  In the end the foreman said "For Christ's sake
give him an MoT and tell him to f**k off!"

Good days indeed.

Nick D.

Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

inacoma

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 01:35:37 PM »
Hi Nick

I remember the old brake test with the pendulum swing thingy. My dad was a manager at a village garage and in the late 70's and early 80's i used to help put on the Saturday mornings.

Great fun for a young lad, when you are in the back of the car and the brakes decide not to work.

We also had the incident where the mini was on one of the old fasioned lifts with the 4 seperate arms, the mini rear subframe was removed and the car tilts forwards and does a nose dive into the concrete floor.

Also on another occasion one of the mechanics slipped and injected himself with a hydraulic grease gun. (he did survive but was in hospital for a while)

Oh the good old days ????????

John

inacoma

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
Oh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm loosing the plot due to oldish age.

It was the late 60's and upto the mid 70's.

I remember when petrol went over £1 per gallon and we had to charge 50+p per gallon on the pump and double the prices.

Fish and chips was about 2d and one farthing ?????

John

inacoma

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 01:47:31 PM »
Hi Stuart

Just coughed up my £1.16p and got my Rumcar news.

love the article you did, one of the best for ages

John

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »
Hi John

I see your profile still lists a Comtesse Break - do you still have one or will
there be a gap in your list when it goes to Mansfield?  Hope the lucky
buyer is happy with it.

As a friend has just said, somewhere out there is one with my name on it!

Happy memories of garage life.  Love the story of the grease injection.  We
had a similar story in a factory where I worked involving a high-pressure airline
but that bloke died.

Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 07:58:12 PM »
Hi Nick D. I notice on your owned list you have a Honda Nippi, I tried to buy one on ebay earlier today but bottled out at  Â£260, it was a none runner but in fairish nick, I thought it would be fun to just plant a seat on the deck and use it as a run around. It wasnt to be this time. What do you do with yours?