Author Topic: Bruetsch Pfeil Steering  (Read 7730 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Bruetsch Pfeil Steering
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:13:36 PM »
The Bruetsch Pfeil steering/ wheel mounting arrangement is pictured here , i have a feeling someone once looked at it and muttered disapproving comments referencing Ackerman principle . is it possible to just look at this assembly and see thats a good/ bad set up ?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:18:45 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Bruetsch Pfeil
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:48:40 PM »
Absolute piffle Richard! Sorry Pfeil.  Double wishbone, what can be wrong with that? Looks hi tech compared with the Nobel horse and cart set up!

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
I need exactly this sort of knowledge myself to allow me to design a proper double wish bone set up for my AC Peel trident front end.  So I am hoping a magic genie will pop out of a bottle, and help me understand how to choose A arm lengths, and inboard/ outboard positioning of their pivot axis, and how to choose a proper minimum height dimension  for the king pin, as well as what values of castor and camber to shoot for at varying amounts of spring compression (bump/ jounce), and rebound, and how to best design the upper A arm for a suspension with a given wide based lower A arm dimension and location.  I want to know this because I intend to use the stock single A arm/ wish bone that comes on Peel Tridents as a lower link for my intended better functioning set up.
The problem with the single swing arm set up on the Peel is that like a swing axle rear suspension, it produces far too much camber change with wheel travel.  An often observed example of this effect would be if an old VW Beetle would become airborne after cresting a hill at speed- you could then observe the rear wheels tuck in at the end of their rebound travel.  Innocent enough in a straight line, but could contribute to a roll over if occurring around a corner at speed, as the Bug would in effect be tending to trip over its too tucked in rear wheel, that was not maintaining a large enough contact patch with the road, and would be leaning too far over, thereby acting more as if you hit a curb whilst sliding sideways around a corner- as a pivot point to in effect trip a lateral roll over. The Peels, and some other minimalist designs attempt to compensate for this effect by utilizing tires with rounded tread surfaces, so that even though the wheel is tilting at too much of an angle, the actual contact surface remains closer to parallel to the road surface.  However for performance applications, this narrows the contact patch too drastically for any where near optimal road adhesion during cornering.

Your Pfiel's suspension has made the right first step by utilizing a double wish bone design , so as to enable the road wheels to remain perpendicular during vertical wheel travel, hence allowing theoretically good maintenance of a proper contact patch with the road, when considering just this single variable of suspension design.  But, truth be told, cars corner better if their tires tilt in a bit at the top when their road springs are being compressed by lateral cornering forces, as it allows the corresponding wheel to maintain greater perpendicularity with the force that it is resisting the car's tendency to roll between its front springs, and the force that makes it want to drift out wards in a corner.  For this reason, non parallel upper to lower A arm/ shorter upper A Arm/ more inboard location of upper A arm pivot point have been proven helpful in achieving this effect.  The Pfiel's designer does not appear to have considered this factor, as the twin A arms appear to be of equal length, parallel, and to be utilizing pivot axis located in a directly plumb orientation.

The length of the Pfiel's A arms also appears inadequate to provide for enough wheel travel for absorbing deflections induced by road irregularities.  Then there are antidive/ squat concerns that are induced by braking, and acceleration forces causing forward and rearward weight transfer, respectively, that can be addressed by pivoting the horizontal axis of the inner arms front and rear pivot bushings,
 whether it is best to use stiffer spring rates or an antiroll bar that partially negates the advantages of independent front suspensions, varying weight loads, your aforementioned Ackerman effect, and who knows what else to complicate matters.
The Ackerman effect  refers to the need to consider the fact that the tire closer to the inside of a corner needs to transit a shorter radius path than the outer wheel going through the same corner, and is some how handled by choosing proper location of the steering arms mounted to the hubs, and is effected by length of wheel base.  Unfortunately, I do not see the steering arms for your Pfiel in this view, and wouldn't know how to assess their correctness in regard to this concern if I could.

Can anybody else help Richard or myself in these regards?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 02:05:22 PM by steven mandell »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 05:59:34 PM »
For an illustration of the steering effect of Ackerman check out the pic of the trike on dream microcars thread. On lock its wheels are pointing in differing directions.

From the king pin out the Breutsh looks very 175 Messerschmitt. Well we know that works. Although the wheel is not ideally positioned it is close enough for the performance anticipated. Compare with the Tri Tech king pin to hub center measurement. You want the wheel turning on the inside part of the road contact so it is rotating about a static point. To far out it describes an arc about the ideal point. The greater the arc, the more compromised the handling. Stuart and others have built this into there Peel designs. Heavy and inaccurate steering will result, just as the Tri Tech suffers.

With a trike the triangulation and weight distribution has a great deal to do with the handling. On a four wheeler things are easier and it can be worked out mathematically in a simpler way. Reference works required for data and formula.

As to tweaking a Peel with complex suspension. I would be inclined to find a well performing kart chassis and adapt that to close coupled rear wheels. Pretty much put the Peel body on top, and it will pee over most things custum made that will be very much more complex to build. Quite if that is a Peel, or a kart with a bodyshell, I cannot say but it does the job that seems to be the aim. But I might be misunderstanding the concept of a modified Peel. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 06:17:18 PM »
Without wishing to hijack the thread, I thought anyone interested in this topic might also be interested in hearing Enrique Scalabroni discussing some of the more notable points about the rear suspension on the latest F1 McLaren.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbN2rn_uG5arMaPUyTOlT0t7g-QgDyUOx

Anyway, more Bruetsch please Richard!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »
staying with the steering thing . i have a 1950/51 booklet see pic. , it is WAY over my head but if there is ANY interest at all i could put up a few pages ?
2 page chapter headings inc. -
unequal wishbones
wishbone ifs with unequal links
steering connections behind and before
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 07:12:19 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:13:35 PM »
Ackermann steering is the way the steering arms need to be bent so that as the steering is turned, all three wheels point around the same place - as the inside wheel is going round a smaller diameter circle than the outer wheel, it has to be turned a bit tighter.

As usual, Wikipedia will help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ackermann_steering_geometry

So this is a plan-view issue and the photo doesn't tell us anything about how the steering arm is arranged.  The Wikipedia diagrams show the usual arrangement where the steering arm 'points' to the centre of the rear wheel (or centre of rear axle on four-wheelers).  However, pure Ackermann steering is a theoretical objective for purists - real chassis designers deviate from the Ackermann principle to get the grip they want from individual wheels. 

I believe Lotus once even went so far as to use 'reverse Ackermann' geometry on some facing cars - turning the outer wheel more than the inner one since the outer wheel has more available tyre grip (because cornering g-forces load up the outer wheel), and damn the tyre wear/noise at low speed.

Stephen's points about the A-arm lengths are not related to steering but to camber control.  The Pfeil appears to have pure parallel equal-length A-arms so the wheels will always be at the same angle as the body, which is not good for lateral grip - as the body rolls the wheels will roll outwards too, reducing grip, though with old-style high-aspect-ratio (and presumably modest grip) tyres, that shouldn't be a huge problem.

One thing this suspension will do is keep the wheel upright as it moves over bumps and for a light three-wheeler, I wonder if that could be a benefit - it should help reduce any tendency towards bump-steer.

The short A-arms won't allow a lot of suspension travel, but then cars of this era had stiffer springs than nowadays and so there would be less suspension movement anyway.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Bruetsch Pfeil Steering
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:01:43 PM »
in the Spring when i drag the car from under the Bond I will attempt to show the set up - but thereby hangs a tail - there is none . The car was built as LHD with goodness knows what set up . Somewhere along the way it was ham fistedly converted in a very homemade fashion . i provisionally intend Heinkel / Trojan rack /track rod , but how to arrange all this is the next question  :-\ presumably the set up would have been similar to this impression of the Bussard three wheeler - mine being the four wheeler version Andrew . and no i still haven't sourced the rubber suspension !!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:27:54 PM by richard »

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:07:56 PM »
For what its worth, I think the name of the manufacturing company for the suspension units is more likely to be Goetze rather than Goertze.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »
tell me more please

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »
Indeed Akerman in more depth than just a piccy. And is a theory at the end of the day. Outright performance is the arbiter of the set up. On a Microcar that will be a compromise as they are not meant to be performance machines.

Having a diagram of the trike version is certainly handy. It probably matches this design. If it will fit OK I see no reason not to go with a Heinkel steering set up, it works well, is lightweight and relatively easy to mount securely. With the 'standard' axle, king pin and suspension links it really is a case of working out the values for toe in and camber - should be adjustable but I do not see it. In addition it might be possible to deviate the king pin from vertical by a slight rotation of the stub axle on the chassis. A guess for starters can be made for those values I think. Really its all there but for the elusive rubber used as the spring/damping. I believe that I have heard of Goetze. Yet no one seems to have a handle what these rubbers were used for, which makes sourcing them tricky. Has anyone got an example Richard?

With this set up and a Lloyd engine unit the car does look one of Breutsch's better efforts and could be quite a good drive.

Suspension and steering theory is interesting stuff. Much of the time ignored as to many things to do. But concentrating on one car and with some free hand in set up a lot can be done to improve performance. You just have to be that sort of person. I believe it was/is one of Roger Barker's special topics and he was part of the testing and development team working for BL through BMW, to Land Rover I think. He could (should?) have gone to BMW's test facility near Nice as part of the companies premier team. Me, I would have gone, but it was not for Roger.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 11:31:58 AM »
sure it's been on before but this for those that say Bruetsch's have no chassis - this internal , or infernal  :)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 12:32:00 PM »
That tubular spine reminds me of a Dellow.