Author Topic: Scootacar Mk1 clutch adjustment - 9E engine  (Read 2622 times)

skootaloon

• Occasional
Scootacar Mk1 clutch adjustment - 9E engine
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »
Hi,
I am new to RUMcars and also new to Scootacars having just bought one in the last couple of weeks. I need a bit of help. The gears make a bit of a "crunch" sound when putting into 1st gear. Is this normal and to be expected? If not then I think the clutch needs adjusting. Stephen Boyd has kindly sent some information on clutch adjustment but i am struggling to see what needs to be done. I have had a look at my set-up on the engine and there is a cable adjuster on the top of the engine and there is a screw adjustment accessed through the fan cover (difficult to get at, cannot be seen). On page 42 of the attached it gives an explanation of adjustment for 3 wheelers and refers to fig 30 on the same page. I am not sure where the measurement of 3/32" is taken from as the fan housing is in the way. Not sure how I can reach both dimensions in the same adjustment ie 3/32" and 2 1/8". The car seems to drive ok and the gears select fine but the "crunching" into 1st is a bit of concern.
Any help will be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Simon

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Scootacar Mk1 clutch adjustment - 9E engine
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:53:46 PM »
absolutely no help to you but very nice to see you on the forum Simon - sure you will find help  ;) to give you some " pedigree " you do have experience with Heinkels don't you - we do get some odd scooter types popping in  ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 09:02:50 PM by richard »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:24:37 PM »
Hello Simon,
   Is it only when the engine is cold ? as it could be a lack of oil, or the wrong oil in the primary chaincase. I think the oil should be very thin from memory.              Nick.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:56:20 PM »
If everything else works as it should it just sounds like the plates are sticking. Not unusual if the car has been standing for any length of time. As Nick said, check the oil  but it may go with use.  It could also be the clutch plate ears have worn grooves in the recesses of the clutch basket and is not allowing the clutch to disengage fully. They can be filed out.

skootaloon

• Occasional
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies, most helpful. I think the book says SAE 30 for the gearbox and SAE 20 for the chain case. I assume that is what is in there at the moment. I haven't run it long enough to get up to operating temperature so it may be a "cold crunch issue" I'll check that the clutch is adjusted properly and if it still crunches then i will see how it is when warm. I am still at a loss with the dimensions given on my earlier attachment so any help there would be great.

Many thanks

Simon