Author Topic: Make your own Schmitt  (Read 2530 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Make your own Schmitt
« on: February 13, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
On eBay is a set of panels and some tooling with IDs to make up Messerschmitt KR200s. I think this is Mark Baldwin who has been moving toward making cars and supplies many GRP spares for all sorts of vehicles as Casco. Nice guy and clever with it. So an opportunity for someone. Although there is another group of entrepreneurs looking at doing the same thing, I think. So maybe that is why the sale of this lot as Mark has many interests and maybe that will be the buyer as well? Some other tooling is looking at moving on too. So do we near a realistic situation of new Messerschmitts becoming available?
One thing is certain. The Messerschmitt world is changing rather fast at the moment, with the Clubs weakening and private enterprise taking up the slack. I have reacted to this as of the end of last year and now return to being an independent entity with no club links shortly in case I wish to return to some bizz.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Make your own Schmitt
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:57:59 PM »
I know Mark, he is a very nice chap. He made a certain body shell for me!
I wonder if the tubular parts were not made because of running out of time and interest or if they proved to be rather difficult, I wonder as A's ones i saw were not finished at the front end. Is there something tricky about fabricating this part?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 05:18:11 PM »
To get them correct is not simple. To get them wrong is easy. We worked it out, made up tooling, but that seemed to be the wrong thing to do as folk wanted to buy the wrong thing cheaper (or indeed for more money now). As in all cases, go ahead, but do not grumble to me if all turns to poo. I will be interested to see if anyone gets it right. I have moved on to other projects too so it is only of academic interest. Also I am thinking Schmitts are worth more in bits, now. Several peeps are braking them up for income rather than creating sets of parts to restore!
Could say the same about Dart replicas etc etc. Nothing is as easy to replicate as it looks.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

fibreglass

• Occasional
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
Hi Al and Bob

I am afraid a change in direction of work means I just do not have time any more to work on the micro cars or come to that any of my 40 or so cars and I could also really do with some more space. I am now getting in far more work than I can cope with and need more space. I will put a list of cars on here soon if anyone is interested as I have quite a few micro car projects, I have already sold some but still have lots as well as some other odd ball and unusual cars.
I will be keeping a few of the high end unusual cars but could do with moving on the rest.
If anyone is interested in making an offer for all the micro cars in one go, that would be a nice easy job of it.

Watch this space

Thanks
Mark