Author Topic: Nobel steering.  (Read 5134 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Nobel steering.
« on: January 25, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »
After much deliberation I decided to replace my Nobel center steering pin with a new one, the old one had a severely corroded tapper and mullered woodruff key slot, I thought it wasnt worth risking my neck using it so here is the new one, notice the longer improved key slot.  What do you think? Ive heard a few Nobel owners say this is the hardest part to sort out but it is possible , you just have to bite the bullet!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Nobel steering.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
ah dear old Mullered Woodruff - Key . haven't heard anything of him since he went off with that landgirl in '42 and it turned out  she was only after extra rations  ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:03:36 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:07:29 PM »
You sure it wasn't for stockings to put in a gearbox?

Back in the 1960s we rented a house from an RSPSA inspector called Woodruff-Peacock.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:09:32 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 05:08:32 PM »
Looks like a nice piece of work there Bob. I presume you did the machining yourself. I wish I had a better lathe, but other priorities.

LD: Surely you mean m'Lord Woodruff-Quay of Nobel!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:15:04 PM »
 LOL :D     ( whats RSPSA Rob ? )
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:32:05 PM »
Regional Society for the Prevention of Stocking Assaults.

Woops! I should have typed RSPCA.  C4S
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 05:40:41 PM »
Royal Society for the Prevention of Shocking Assaults?

Look folks, we are steering away from the thread just as Bob steers his moped away from the road.

Right, that should link us back to topic!

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 05:52:10 PM »
That looks very nice Bob.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:45:56 PM »
After much deliberation I decided to replace my Nobel center steering pin with a new one, the old one had a severely corroded tapper and mullered woodruff key slot, I thought it wasnt worth risking my neck using it so here is the new one, notice the longer improved key slot.  What do you think? Ive heard a few Nobel owners say this is the hardest part to sort out but it is possible , you just have to bite the bullet!

As I said, looking great!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 10:51:15 AM »
So much better than the rough looking wood key hardness specification original. The taper is all as it needs to be a sure grip in a position of no great mechanical advantage when on lock. A poor bit of design really but these are cheap cars and that's the way it came. One has to wonder though when you see the simplicity of the Heinkel steering rack which rarely needs to be repaired. Bang that in and you only have to worry about grip and stopping!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
glad you aprove of the Heinkel one . i have one that i hope will fit the Bruetsch - like all else mechanical it's missing . i too liked the feel of a Heinkel .

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 06:06:58 PM »
^ It is one of the aspects of the Heinkel which in my opinion make it a small car rather than a "cabin scooter" or "cabin moped", that and good brakes!

Once I was in Deptford returning home from Bromley Pageant of Motoring with Squeak beside me. We were in the inside lane and a car to our right hid us from the view of a Morris Minor (in nice nick and possibly also returning from Bromley by another route) which was heading the other way.

Not realising we were there, Moggie turned Right in front of us, we were feet away and doing 20 mph, but I have very fast reactions and hit the brakes hard. Moggie had just spotted us and cleverly accelerated as fast as possible to try to make space for us behind him, I could hear his motor and tyres screaming. DUF's amazingly good braking and controllable handling saved the day. We were both hugely relieved not to have damaged each other's Pride and Joy! Squeak and I had both assumed we would die, but she was very calm then laughed it off.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 06:25:23 AM »
^ It is one of the aspects of the Heinkel which in my opinion make it a small car rather than a "cabin scooter" or "cabin moped", that and good brakes!

Once I was in Deptford returning home from Bromley Pageant of Motoring with Squeak beside me. We were in the inside lane and a car to our right hid us from the view of a Morris Minor (in nice nick and possibly also returning from Bromley by another route) which was heading the other way.

Not realising we were there, Moggie turned Right in front of us, we were feet away and doing 20 mph, but I have very fast reactions and hit the brakes hard. Moggie had just spotted us and cleverly accelerated as fast as possible to try to make space for us behind him, I could hear his motor and tyres screaming. DUF's amazingly good braking and controllable handling saved the day. We were both hugely relieved not to have damaged each other's Pride and Joy! Squeak and I had both assumed we would die, but she was very calm then laughed it off.

Nice brakes?
I thought they roll the car when you pressed the pedal around a corner, because of the angle of the dampers!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 07:58:38 AM »
i just loved the ride - its all part of the fun  :)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 08:18:44 AM »
True Jonathan, hard braking and swerving is not good, but because the Moggie driver had the experience and wisdom to accelerate hard in low gear it meant I barely had to turn, we were mostly saved by the great "in line" braking power. The hydraulic brakes and the lightweight/low momentum of an H/T at low to medium speed give stunning stopping ability. Squeak also has quick reactions and braced herself with her feet, and I put out my left arm to help hold her back from the windscreen, whilst bracing myself against the steering wheel. Most other micros would have collided.