Author Topic: How-doo!! Me an' me Bubble sayin' ello from sunny Southport!  (Read 7357 times)

Mike Wood

• Just Starting
How-doo!! Me an' me Bubble sayin' ello from sunny Southport!
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:21:20 PM »
Greets Peeps!

Brief intro from moi, Mike Wood off of Southport, long-term bubblecar enthusiast but recent first-time owner.

I acquired Little Beemer in 2012 (Little 'cos it's small; Beemer 'cos it makes you  ;D! ).

It's a 1960 Brit-built Isetta 300 3-wheeler... with a badge to make M3 owners  ???

Had a few teething problems in the early days  ::) like the first journey home on the back of an AA low-loader after a 5-hour road-site wait  :-[ and a door-hinge failure which left me spread-eagled against the car front on a bright & sunny Sunday morning outside a popular sweet shop with a zillion kids out spending their pocket money, but heck! we battled through!

The Yellow One only comes out when the sun's a'shining, but we hope to see yous at rallies-a-plenty in the forth-coming years!

Mike Wood

:D

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: How-doo!! Me an' me Bubble sayin' ello from sunny Southport!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:35:28 PM »
Welcome Mike!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:51:14 AM »
Are you in touch with Alan Town and David(?) Tattishall of that Parish?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 10:19:16 AM »
Hello and welcome, nice car!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:24:46 AM »
Yes, welcome Mike. Same car as mine LHD 1960. I have to ask though, what is the black line around your door?

Mike Wood

• Just Starting
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 10:00:11 PM »
Are you in touch with Alan Town and David(?) Tattishall of that Parish?

Hi Big Al,

I have met both Alan and David at the Woodvale Rally / Ormskirk Motorfest / Life's Motors and passed over my contact details, although I don't have theirs. We've quite a few "little" cars around Southport, and it would be fun to hook-up for an occasional meet.

I have to ask though, what is the black line around your door?

Hello Bob,

The door is fitted with the wrong door seal. I think this may have ultimately led to one of the door hinge bolts shearing, and the door fit being quite poor (unless the footwell is actually fitted with air-conditioning!). One of 2013's tasks is so to source and fit a new door seal from Bromley Bubble. Currently I have to lift the door bodily when closing, so will be replacing / realigning both hinges and fitting the new seal when the weather is better.

MW

;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2013, 10:17:49 PM »
welcome mike i am on wirral , so not too far away . no car on the road but hope to have soon - mid/ late summer . occasional meets sound a good idea.
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 11:00:58 PM »
I'm sure Dave Tadman will sort you out with a door rubber and what ever else you need, he has always been most helpful to me. Maybe I will see your car sporting said new door seal at Malvern in August?

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »
Mike, good to see that your Isetta XHR183 has survived against the odds, as it was bought as a spares car for another Isetta back in 1980. Both were purchased from a farmer in the Cotswolds for £200 for the couple. As mentioned in IG 348 (Autumn 2012). Not only has it survived but seemingly it has thrived under someone's careful ownership!
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 10:20:13 AM »
welcome mike i am on wirral , so not too far away . no car on the road but hope to have soon - mid/ late summer . occasional meets sound a good idea.

'Wirral going on a, summer holiday.....'
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 12:12:40 PM »
don't suppose you can ox-ford one :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
Ah, the city of dreaming Spires, snoozing Londis, catknapping Costcutters and nodding independents. The city where water was proven to have an IQ of 8 by knowing how to flow downhill but round the flood defences, but it makes up for not being by the sea, I guess. But indeed it is not Ox-fordable or affordable for holidays for me. Wirral sounds better as they allow cars in. We Oxfordshire carrot crunchers avoid Oxford if at all possible. Its a nightmare!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 08:06:15 AM by Big Al »

Mike Wood

• Just Starting
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2013, 09:47:31 PM »
Mike, good to see that your Isetta XHR183 has survived against the odds, as it was bought as a spares car for another Isetta back in 1980. Both were purchased from a farmer in the Cotswolds for £200 for the couple. As mentioned in IG 348 (Autumn 2012). Not only has it survived but seemingly it has thrived under someone's careful ownership!

Wowser!!  That's news to me!  I have a fairly extensive restoration file which came with the car, and a sheaf of bills which tot up to £QuiteALot.  My car was lovingly restored by a private owner in Morecambe, and to a good standard. Won't win the Pebble Beach Concourse, but then again, I haven't got the shelf-space for big trophies...

I'd be grateful if you could forward the Article to me (info AT theoldwatchshop DOT com)

Mike Wood

8)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2013, 09:58:28 PM »
Of course it might be a completely different car itself - read my lips.    By the way mike we can post email addresses in full but if you want you can look up members on the list and send them a confidential message if that's better for your needs
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 10:04:28 PM by richard »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 08:13:02 AM »
Wonder if it was from near Chippy. Chris Goffey, then of Top Gear, told me about it, as he saw it when out riding his horse.