Author Topic: the best racing micro  (Read 5282 times)

micro marshall

• Quite Chatty
the best racing micro
« on: March 05, 2014, 07:30:15 PM »
I was wondering after watching a BMW 700 racing, what is the best racing micro car?
I think it is the fiat 500 abarth (if it classes as a micro) ;D
peel p50   28 chickens  Land Rover series 3   Ginetta G26  Heinkel 175
check out
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWWcFabkWKKjKynSLLeW7qw
for the RUMcars you tube channel

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: the best racing micro
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 08:09:24 PM »
For the mini micro class limitation of 700cc for pre 1970 cars, I'd say your nominees are on the button.
I've seen period race videos where the BMW 700s knocked the socks off the NSUs.. Which is humiliating as I have a few Sport Prinzes, and a Prinze.
Not to over generalize, however for the 1000 cc category, as the NSU tt  made for an awesome racecar with its 4 cylinder transversely mounted air cooled over head cam motor over its rear axle and twin weber carburation mounted atop a huge C shaped intake manifold.
And certainly the Fiat Abarths have earned a reputation for winning class events in the sub 700 cc range.

For newer mini micros under 700 cc, I think that the title should go to the Autozam AZ-1/ Suzuki Cara.  I've seen track footage of a race prepared version that was shockingly fast.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:18:16 AM »
Steyr Puch 650 TR was meant to be faster than an Abarth 500. Probably like the BMW, as it could rev better being opposed rather than a pair upright. Although the NSU has got advantageous cam drive. They are safe to 7,500 revs. They chose not to offer much in the way of a tuned 600cc twin. Simpler to go 4 pot. But they never did a Sport Prinz with that engine. Instead the Wankel came in and is technically in class despite that the car morphed into the Syder. You could get a high compression top end for the 600cc later unit. The BMW certainly performs well for a package that at first glance looks a bit suspect. I do not doubt the chassis is well tweaked to get the handling. I believe the Martini cars were looking at at least 75 bhp out of 700cc. John Bannell is on about that, if he wants it, with his more modern resourced injection version. The dark horse might be from Japan, who could just squeeze something like a Honda 600 in with bits from the Motorcycles on. Front wheel drive would suit certain courses. Then you have the Enfield Berkm perhaps rather hailing from an earlier era but sporting front wheel drive.

However these are not really microcars in the old terminology. For shear toughness in ralles and enduro events the Goggo did well. Do not forget the Berkeleys, fragile they might be, but good running, in experienced hands, these are serious little racing cars. The triple would see off the competition on a circuit, I think. Not so sure when you turn to long course. Ken Piper proved a good driver in a Tiger can put in very good performances. The Tiger is more rugged than a Berkeley but again you have a fragile engine. The difference is the Excelsior tends to fail terminally, the TG500 tends to wear but keep going, meaning a rebuild after each serious event. It is part of the Tigers attraction as it was a giant killer in its day.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
What about the ISO'S in the Mille Miglia?
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 08:15:14 AM »
We are still waiting for them to finish.

Sorry you asked for that one.

Indeed they put in a stout performance but I fear they would not keep up with the later, and larger cars. I believe the ISO was nominally 250cc with its unusual engine. So would it outperform a Goggo 250cc from a few years later, or a Zundapp, which is surprisingly sprightly? Gaining entry to the MM was never easy and the Italians liked to pack the event, why wouldn't they. I believe the Berkeleys did a few.
Then of course there was the Liege Bresca Liege microcar rally. But these old events tell us of the entrants, not the potential of those who chose not to compete.
Paul Klineschnittger made a racing car. It used to be at Story and, I think, one of Otto's prize exhibits. They had it doing circuit and bumps one year I was there. Indeed was it when PK was there? Steven M ought to see that, he would be out making a replica.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 08:29:15 AM »
Rather a rash statement AL considering they were 1st 2nd and 3rd in their class they were probably the only ones in the class but they still finished!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 09:16:21 AM »
also remember the ISO's were bubblecars and not minicars like the others.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:29:23 AM »
How did the Berkely B90s, B95s, and B105s fare?
Where do they belong on the mini- microcar scale?
Are the three hundred twenty eight cc engined Berkeley's considered to be more truly micro?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
Rather a rash statement AL considering they were 1st 2nd and 3rd in their class they were probably the only ones in the class but they still finished!

I think not, as I did point out that the Italians packed the event. If I was the only entrant in the Olympic Marathon, I win, but it does not make me a Marathon runner!
The Astra held several lap records in Britain till beaten by the Berkeley, as I told Ian Richie - successful hill climber. Did he rush out to buy the one looking for a home? It seems not. He wants a Gordon.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 12:14:42 PM »
How did the Berkely B90s, B95s, and B105s fare?
Where do they belong on the mini- microcar scale?
Are the three hundred twenty eight cc engined Berkeley's considered to be more truly micro?

Clue is in the engine size. Under 500cc is prime microcar territory. So the B90, which was raced, is in at least.
Not sure the 328cc was raced by the factory, but clearly some did race as they held lap records and competed against Goggos. The trike would presumably be pushed into the sidecars as three wheelers are not allowed to race with 'cars' in  FIA events since a Morgan upset the Bentley Boys by being the first car to average 100 mph round Brooklands, driven by a lady!!! Whoops.
 'I say change the rules, Bunty. Can't have pip squeaks driven by the memsahib taking trophies, old boy. Just isn't done. Be playing Goff next.'

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »
No AL you said you were still awaiting them to finish well they did 1st 2nd 3rd sorry rash statement stands you can make all the rules you want but if there is a class then they entered and won!