Author Topic: pre- 1973 tax exemption to end ?  (Read 4771 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
pre- 1973 tax exemption to end ?
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:12:47 PM »
a quick peep through RUM tonight and Chris dropped this bombshell in the editorial  as if we all knew - i didn't . where have i been ? i haven't heard a word of it before . when ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: pre- 1973 tax exemption to end ?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 08:57:48 AM »
Vote passed just before important dindins (at your expence in some Brussels restaurant at £486 a head) by your friendly neighbourhood European Parliament, who have nothing better to do than create unworkable rules rather than tackle a real problem such as why Europe's bankruptcy is slowly growing a reality. Possibly in part because they sit making unworkable rules that then have to be made into a workable set of directives ending up different in each country, thereby employing a raft of civil servants and advisers at our cost, thereby allowing inequality of responsibility across the continent. Stupidly Britain applies most of this rubbish rather than ignoring it. So we have a law in direct contravention of some of our new home policy. Get out of that!

It is in this unstable background and poor economy entrepreneurs are asked to create wealth and the little guy to invest. Yep, invest on the shifting sands of 5 layers of greedy political yappers consistently moving the goalposts. Why would you not batten down the fiscal hatches. Bit different to our conditions of economy and tax 100 years ago! The European experiment is working well compared to the Pax Britannica?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 09:08:55 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 09:36:53 AM »
I have googled this subject and cant find any reference to it anywhere, whilst I dont doubt Chrises report it would be nice to find some gov statement on the subject, can anyone point the way please?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 09:42:54 AM »
After more searching I still find no mention but there is a lot of talk about the the 25 years roll on exemption date being reinstated. Are you sure you have this right Chris?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 10:50:08 AM »
Is this not related to the Euro edict that thoult shall not use pattern parts nor change the design of your cars? To do so requires modern registration so negating all but the most accurate restoration as pre '73, technically. The bill as passed apparently does not have the normal let out clause for classic cars but might for vintage. FBHXYZ lot had a bit about this in there mag.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:55 AM »
Perhaps it was this?

http://tinyurl.com/c5vj9hx
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
Hmmm Interesting but still no mention of road tax reinstatement.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 12:55:49 PM »
Where's chris when you want him ? Surely he knew this was going to get us going 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
This was first touted about three weeks ago in one of the weekly classic car papers as the government are losing out giving all the discount to modern small cars to the tune of 13 billion a year so there was or is to be a review
Further to this I do not know
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:30:24 PM by issysuy »
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
Any old heresay to fill out magazines pages then.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:28:36 PM »
Carefull now! Chris works very hard to give us a great magazine. I'm sure he will give us the s.p. as soon as he can.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
Hi Guys

Back from a day trip to Manchester. Just switched on my computer, and read your comments

I must say I feel quite honoured that out of the whole 16000 words that make up one issue of RCN you have picked up on 9 words written in the opening editorial.

I picked up the item from the 7 November 2012 issue of Classic Car Weekly, where it was saying that in the spring chancelors statement they were concerned at the number of nil rated VED vehicles on the road and that the government was considering changing this to generate income to bolster their falling tax returns. It appears that since this article appeared the government has decided not to persue this approach -  in the foreseable future. But I had not picked up the government step down.

Of course this means that they could reconsider it again next year if they needed the cash. I have been told that the FBHVC are on the case and have lobbied the government on our behalf.

So thank you for reading RCN with an eagle eye. It was a government proposal that has been put on hold. And lets hope it stays there.

Now are there any other bloomers you have spotted in RCN 115?

Did anybody spot the back to front photo in issue 114?

Chris Thomas

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
Yes.  ;D

Oh!

Did you want a proper answer?  Bottom photo of the rear of Twizy, page 13.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:33:52 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 07:07:42 PM »
....it was saying that in the spring chancelors statement they were concerned at the number of nil rated VED vehicles on the road and that the government was considering changing this to generate income to bolster their falling tax returns.

I would have thought that was much more to do with modern sub-100gmCO2/km cars than pre-73 ones.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 09:36:40 AM »
Perhaps it was this?

http://tinyurl.com/c5vj9hx

That is the story I was thinking of. Modified cars would effectively move to being 'new' cars with all that entails. As a new car it would not be registered as pre-1973. However none of this is fact yet.

My own prediction was always that having created the MOT cut off at 1960 that this will become the cut of for Classic/Historic Cars henceforward, rather than the taxation date of 1973. The MOT is related to the design and expected efficiency of the vehicles but taxation is an arbitrary denominator fixed to no design or efficiency input at all, but rather just a usage cost. It is therefore far more solid an argument to excuse pre '60 cars from engineering based legalities than to use the '73 deadline. The danger is those cars between '60 and '73 fall into a kind of no mans land not excluded from changes to DVLA recording and other related issues that the pre '60 stuff can duck as they represent a small and pretty dead arena of activity in European and countrywide terms. Little harm will be done to let this pre '60 group continue to be weird and they have a fair clout over and above their size as many owners are well connected and/or wealthy. I am backing this up by streaming my car collection to be primarily pre '60 cars. Fortunately that was much the case already but it will mean a bit of a shuffle.