Author Topic: Classic 1956 Goliath GP900E 16,000 Miles From New  (Read 6291 times)

inacoma

Classic 1956 Goliath GP900E 16,000 Miles From New
« on: March 23, 2008, 10:25:07 AM »
Hi

This is one that the purists won't count as a micro due to engine size body mass and having 4 wheels.

had to list it here though as it's so rare and not a total basket case, but a hardly used and original example.

What do you think of it? ::)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Classic-1956-Goliath-GP900E-16-000-Miles-From-New_W0QQitemZ320227891841QQihZ011QQcategoryZ2192QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Could be practical as an everyday short distance user and save your micro micro for shows etc.

john
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 11:50:43 AM by inacoma »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Classic 1956 Goliath GP900E 16,000 Miles From New
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:51:36 AM »
 He says its possibly the only RHD one known, but isn't yours one like this Jean? And RHD to boot?....  ??? 

inacoma

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:08:31 AM »
Morning Stuart

The American Goliath etc. club has the sale noted on their Forum :-

http://www.voy.com/61205/

Some interesting info and pictures.

Perhaps Jeans is a different model? or it could be that it has dropped off of their radar. It would be nice to find out and let them know if they havn't got the info, or it could just be the seller largeing it up a bit anyway.;)

From last years farm clean up day, I remember Jeans needed a hell of a lot of work, and when I was giving it a rough wash over it was mentioned that it might be put up for sale. Now might be a good time, as it could be offered to the winner of the other car if Jean was interested.

I will give Jean an email just to tell her there is one up for sale and see if it's the same model as her one.

John
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 02:41:14 PM by inacoma »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:29:09 AM »
Hi

This is one that the purists won't count as a micro due to engin size body mass and having 4 wheels.

john
You are right John, its certainly no microcar but interesting never the less and as the seller says, in time warp condition. I'm puzzled about you thinking that it having four wheels would disallow a car by some as being a microcar, some of the best microcars ever made are four wheelers! Three wheeler enthusiasts are often a different breed to microcar enthusiasts. I went to a show billed as a three wheeler show once expecting to see some decent microcars and it was full of disgusting chopped up reliant or cortina based trikes riden by people who looked like they had just bathed in used engine oil . Is it snowing where you are John? Camping in a fortnight? I think not!

inacoma

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 11:50:25 AM »
Morning Bob

The 4 wheels was only noted because I know some people class microcars as sub this size, but will allow 3 wheelers into their events etc even though they are larger engines, Bond Bug, reliants etc.

Further info from seller :-

John
The car hasn't been on the road for 10 years, but the engine was run a few months ago. At the moment the rear brakes are locked on, as the handbrake was left on, but they will probably free when the car is pulled out of the barn.
To be honest, this is not a car for the faint-hearted! It was always a temperamental model, and the one time I drove it (it belongs to my 88 year old father-in-law), I arrived in a cloud of smoke, partly oil from the Trabi-like engine, and partly Ferodo, since, with the steering column gearchange, I never quite know what gear I was in!
Having said that, it's a fascinating and attractive car, very advanced for its time, amazingly well preserved, and virtually unique. The spares came from a crashed car of the same model which we broke.
Regards
Michael

The car belongs to my father-in-law, Eric Longworth, who is 88 and has just given up driving.

Eric was in touch with the Borgward club at one point, but I don't know if the car is on the register.

- stourrower

Looks like you would get an honest description of what you are buying from this seller. ;)

John
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 02:42:50 PM by inacoma »

inacoma

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 11:55:39 AM »
Hi

We don't get snow very often in B'mth. just raining hard here, took the Heinkel up-to the shops just now and spotted where the rain comes in.

Camping will still be done, I am determined to get there, will just have to wrap up and suffer for my sins.

John :-[

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 12:26:41 PM »
I'm getting a bit woosy in my old age! Forgetting you live on the Dorset Riviera. Remember this rally is oop Nooorth! There is probably a glassier slowly moving down Byards leap high street as we speak ! Brrrrrrhhhh!!!! Did you get the Bamby picture I mailed you? Very eighties looking! Taraa John, just geting the hot water bottles out!

inacoma

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 02:40:42 PM »
Hi Bob

Sun is now out and have taken the rellies for a ride around the block.

Info on Jeans car :-

"our Goliath was manufactured in 1954 and first registered in this country in 1962..  The log book tells me that it is a 700 E Saloon with a 688cc fuel injection engine"!. 

so Jeans is a micro even if it's a big body.

John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 04:03:41 PM »
yes but by who's criteria?

Jawmedead

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2008, 05:02:45 PM »
 This from the Rumcars web site.             About the Register.

The general definition of microcars as economy vehicles with either three or four wheels, powered by petrol engines of no more than 700cc or battery electric propulsion, and manufactured since 1945 was adopted, but this can be varied if justified by vehicle interest.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 05:37:07 PM by Jawmedead »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 06:16:42 PM »
Yes, we all know the rumcars definition but you miss my point, each enthusiast has there own definition of what they consider to be a microcar. We are going over very old ground here. Obviously a set up such as Rumcars has to put the bar up somewhere. Even the statement of definition on the home page can be made to look nonsense when it says if there is sufficient interest exceptions can be made ect ect. Concider this scenario, I happen to like austin a30's, what if a whole crowd of a30 fans insisted they wanted to join rumcars and the cars be concidered as microcars, ok, they are smallish have an engine under 1000cc, but where does it stop? I also like MG Magnets! Trying to pigeon hole everything all gets a bit silly in my opinion, thats why the American club has the right idea with there minicars and microcars. Just to make my opinion clear, no one is going to put a car infront of me the size of a standard 10 and tell me its a "microcar"! I like that Goliath very much but isnt even the name trying to tell us something?!

inacoma

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 07:33:46 PM »
Oh well here we go again.

At the farm open day I mentioned that Jeans Goliath didn't seem to be much like a microcar to me, but she insisted it was, so :-

It's her car, she says it's a microcar, so it's a microcar.

john ;D

Jawmedead

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 07:43:13 PM »
I have been told that the make of car is called a "Golly ath" and not Goliath as in the Biblical way.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 08:00:20 PM »
Well John, thats two of us whose instincts tell us what is and what isnt microcar. As you say, there is nothing preventing anyone calling there vehicle anything they want to. Thats interesting what you say Rob, I always assumed that it was called a Goliath as a tongue in cheek name, you know, calling a small car by a big name to suggest it was in a bigger league than other small cars. You learn something every day! Unless your pulling my leg?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 08:44:13 PM by bobbybubble »

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 09:23:58 PM »
 Oh yes indeed, the name is offically pronounced "Go-lee-'ath", even though for years I called 'em the biblical way.  For my two-hap'ny's worth I'd just about call it a micro, becuse I tend to concider the engine size to be the main demarciation zone in what consitutes a micro. This Go-lee-'ath has an engine of 700cc, thus its a micro, though minicar might be more apt. Mind you, it's typical of the German way of doing things, a whopping great big bodyshell (proportinatly) & little piddling engine.  Need any further examples? Just look at an early Heinkel or a Fuldamobil....