Author Topic: Nobel 200  (Read 10093 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Nobel 200
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »
Dear Bob

Excuse my ignorance but how does the gyrostarter mechanism work, I have assumed that is like a Dynastart?

Sounds like you need an instant garage or shed in a box from Northern Tools

I look forward to reading your side of the events in front of the spotlight (when Royal Mail decides to deliver it)

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 08:13:07 PM »
Dynastarts are bolted onto the end of the crankshaft and the armature continually turns with the engine whether in starting mode or dynamo mode. Westinghouse 6 volt gyrostarters likewise bolt onto the crankshaft but have a built in clutch mechanism that has to be disengaged first to use in starting mode, this is done by yanking the lever we spoke about earlier. Instead of the motor directly turning the crank shaft like the dynastart the gyrostarter just turns a flywheel, it takes a while for the feeble 6 volt windings to get the flywheel turning to its max revs, once this is achieved the lever is slammed back down which engages the clutch thus transferring the flywheel momentum to the crankshaft and spinning the engine over. The process has to be repeated if it doesnt start on the first kick. Once the engine starts the gyrostarter acts as a dynamo. The whining sound of one cranking up sounds like a helicopter or plane preparing for take off thus all adding aeronautical flavour!   

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 10:01:21 PM »
Dear Bob

Thanks for the clear and concise answer to my question which all makes sense.

This sounds like you use up a lot of battery power each time you start the engine and therfore you need quite a large battery but a smaller dynamo.

I must say I was expecting the starting mechanism to be something like a lever ratchet (in place of the kick start) tigtening up a spring like that found in a clock, and when it is released the force turns the engine over to start it. The Gyrostarter sounds all too civilised. Having to reach over the the back left hand corner of the Inter if you stall in traffic looks all too inconvenient. But then again we expect so much more now.

Chris Thomas

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 10:30:40 AM »
Ah! Loads of Nobel talk in my absence. Bob, Chris the truth is I had a fleeting moment of thinking with my heart instead of my head, my Nobel project is probably in a similar state that this one was originally, but I’d rather learn how to restore mine than jump to the next stage by buying this one, besides where would I put it.