Author Topic: one off pistons  (Read 5813 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
one off pistons
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:32:56 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get a one off piston made?

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
Re: one off pistons
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 12:20:14 PM »
Hello Bob.  My son-in-law owns LN Engineering (www.lnengineering.com ) and he designs and makes his proprietory high performance parts for air-cooled engines.  He does custom make pistons.  He is currently in California on holiday and I will ask him on his return next week or you could e-mail him.  I know that typically he makes them in a minimum set of four, but anything may be possible. He has made pistons for some of my old Packards and just completed a set for a Fiat 500 motor.  Just some preliminary info. Do you have the actual piston, or drawings?  Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Triporteur

• Quite Chatty
    • Online Bicycle Museum
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 01:46:42 PM »
You could try

PETE STRATFORD

CYCLEMOTOR & AUTOCYCLE SPARES

136 WINDLEY ROAD

LEICESTER

LE2 6TB

0116 2832070

He gets them made for cyclemotors, so I assume is used to doing one-offs on small engines
Online Bicycle Museum - http://oldbike.eu

Online Cyclemaster Museum - http://Cyclemaster.co.uk

Sales: http://BuyVintage.co.uk

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »
Hi Ian. That sounds hopeful ! I have the piston, its from an Ydral L49 175cc 62mm diameter, its the old problem of worn ring grooves plus seizure damage.  This as you may have guessed is for my Inter, I have another a piston in it at present that I widened the grooves to get a uniform width and then fitted wider rings but the results were not very good, I would like to go a size up and re-bore. Would he be able to supply fitted with pins and rings? I could supply him with a set of Lambretta TV 175 plus .20 rings so he could cut the grooves to fit. If you could have a word with him for me on his return I would appreciate it. A small batch would be OK if the price was right. Thanks, Bob

Triporteur...Thanks , the name rings a bell, I think I asked him before but will have a word... Bob

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 02:30:02 PM »
Hello Bob:  I know that the pistons come complete with the rings and pin. I'll talk to him about it when able.  Ian.
ps. I'll forward your reply as well.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 02:45:51 PM »
Thanks Ian. I just looked at the web site and nearly fainted at the quoted prices although I appreciate the making of them must be quite involved and costly. I'm hoping that the old pals act may spawn a discount! Shall I forward you a photo of the piston?

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 02:54:09 PM »
Bob:  Let's wait and see what he comes up with.  He is very fair, and may have some other ideas. His products are mainly aimed at the high-end Porsche market, but has done a lot of work with Corvairs, VWs, Hafs, etc. whose owners do not have a lot of money. I have just this present e-mailed him.  I'll let you know or he will e-mail you directly.  Ian.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »
Thanks, Ian.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 10:33:28 PM »
Hi Ian ,I had a reply from son in law but the cost of a set of four pistons when I only want one is not realistic, it would be about £500 for 4 pistons of which I only want one , I tried to rouse some interest amoungst other ydral engine users but despite the fact that they bleet on how they can find the pistons, will not put there hands in there pockets and pay £125 for one. Amazing! Thanks for trying to help.... Bob

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 11:05:56 PM »
Hello Bob:  I talked to Charles at lunch today and he said that he had replied to you.  The Pound is weak right now against the US Dollar, just a few months ago it was over $US2.00 for £1.00 but not right now.  Maybe when it comes down, (up to you Brits.), it maybe more feasible.  I am still working on him to give a discount to Club members (any club). His products are the best and most likely will be the only one you'll ever need, so there is no sense in having three extras. For economy of scale he must make at least four at any given time.  If he has any other peculiar orders for singles or twins, similar enough to machine yours I'm sure he'll let me or you know.  Ian.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 11:24:58 PM »
Thanks Ian. Keep working on him! If I can find just two orders from others I would go for it. Lets wait and see if anyone comes back to me.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 04:36:03 PM »
Just found this company in Australia who claim to make unobtainable "one off" pistons for vintage cars and motorcycles. I will let you know how my enquiries go as it may be of use to other rumsters, or am I the only nutter who takes on these projects?   http://www.jp.com.au/Specials.html

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 08:02:59 PM »
Just had some good news that I'm bursting to share! Club Ydral have found me a brand new piston for my Ydral L49 and for a reasonable price too. Only problem is that It comes without rings so now I must find some rings for a 62.5 dia piston 3mm wide. Any ideas?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 10:26:29 AM »
My NOS ydral piston arrived today complete with a set of rings, pin and circlips. Deep joy! Thank you to those who tried to help before this gem turned up. I'm hoping that this along with a rebore will make my Inter perform as well as my first one which probably has not even been started let alone driven since BW acquired it!