General Category > Unusual Microcar Discussion

BSA Ariel 3

<< < (2/4) > >>

burford57:
Hi Marcus

Headcorn is becoming more of a two-day event as the years roll by.  There will be several of us there on the Saturday - enough perhaps for a scratch ride-out. If you're able to pop by and say hello we'll be happy to get the kettle on.  The main event in Sunday with a run through the lanes (mainly) to a pub lunch and stopping at Brattle Farm for a nose around.  This was one of the popular stops on Jim's road run for the Celebration Weekend.

Regards
Nick D.

burford57:
Hi John

Copy in the post today, hope it helps.  I've had a few of these bikes, each more terrifying to ride than the last it seems.  I rode a couple at the recent National Rally at Sacrewell but found myself wearing those rose-tinted goggles again and wanting another.  Get thee behind me Satan!  My local back-street hairy-arsed (how do I know that?) bikers restored one a few years ago for a lady whose husband had bought it new in the 70s and consigned it to the back of the shed after only 50 miles, pronouncing it dangerous.  She had it restored in his memory - he was probably spinning in his grave at the thought.  Recently it came on the market for £350, at £250 I'd have succumbed to temptation despite my experiences of them.

Regards
Nick D.

hotrodjon:
Thanks for that Nick, I am 60 years old and just coming into my second childhood. I run a 1977 american AMC Hornet straight 6 engined car every day. I have never had 2 or 3 wheeled vehicle in my life. I have always been into Hotrods / American / Classic / Custom cars. I am half way through building a Trike using a Rover 100 'K' series 1400cc engine and auto box and more recently bought the Ariel 3. I guess I may need to buy some brown trousers then from what I here about the Ariel 3.

hotrodjon:
Hi Nick,
thank you very much for the photocopy reprints, they will come in very usefull. My Ariel 3 needs most of the control cables replacing and setting up for a start. I am preparing the panels for respray first of all, then I will investigate the mechanical side of things while the paintwork has a couple of weeks to harden off.

burford57:
Hi John

Glad you received the manuals and hope they help.

You won't need to invest in any brown trousers - the handling characteristics of the Ariel 3 will bring brownness to a saddle near you!
My advice would be to buy a pair of bicycle clips...

Regards
Nick D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version