Author Topic: Ebay Isetta.  (Read 5390 times)

P50

• Prolific Poster
Ebay Isetta.
« on: October 03, 2010, 11:55:20 AM »
"Men of worth act like men of worth, and men of genius, who produce
things beautiful and excellent, shine forth far better when other people
praise them than when they boast so confidently of their own achievements."
-Benvenuto Cellini

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Ebay Isetta.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »
Looks nice, but that IS a high price.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 12:51:04 PM »
It makes what I paid for Thumper look very cheap! I does grieve me that greedy people are constantly pushing the price boundary, it does our hobby no favours. WE know that its not worth it but the uninformed see this on ebay and conclude "Oh thats what they are worth now is it?" The only consulation in this case is he wont get it.

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 02:39:22 PM »
it does our hobby no favours. WE know that its not worth it but the uninformed see this on ebay and conclude "Oh thats what they are worth now is it?"

similar cars are up for sale in the States, 15-20 year old "restorations" that have not seen the light of day in many years now hitting the market for similar prices and also not selling.

I completely agree with you that people look at the "for sale" price and not the "sold" price.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 05:44:05 PM »
Glad you agree Jim and we know all about "restorations" Still I'm over my tramour with my Isetta now, I just last week fitted a complete new clutch and am tickled pink with it![That's English for happy!]  Smooth get away [used a relined original type plate in the end] , nice drag free gear changes! Shame summer is over. Even this very expensive ebay car although looking nice doesn't really sound as if it has been through that sorting period, there is no substitute for a few thousand mile to shake out all the gremlins.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
there is no substitute for a few thousand mile to shake out all the gremlins.

Absolutely. That is why few cars get used as you have to go through the pain barrier to get them sorted and then commit to regular usage. If you are not a hands on type the first hurdle is failed and the car is only seen stumbling around a field and stuttering on road runs. You cannot really buy the hurdle unless by buying a car already sorted by someone such as yourself. Once the car has done the development stage from restoration it can then do a trip to Germany (unless you live there already, in which case you are lost on the ring road) owhy without to much fear of failure. These 15 year old restorations harbour some cost and time in turning into a Thumper so cannot really be worth their price other than as a collectors item. Reality and why there are less cars used as the owners are not able to do the hurdle stage in direct proportion to the values of the cars! The answer, of course, is to buy a larger campervan.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
So true. This was evident when Bruces first lot of cars came over to be sold at Christies. They all looked lovely but after the sale I was forever hearing that the cars were void of all mechanical restoration, apparently most of them wouldnt even run. Not sure I agree with you about the camper van thing, you seem to equate campervan ownership with people who dont drive there microcars much, I can think of a fair few very serious drivers who go to rallies in very serious campers. Why do you have to sleep in a tent to qualify as a microcar driver? 

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »
So true. This was evident when Bruces first lot of cars came over to be sold at Christies. They all looked lovely but after the sale I was forever hearing that the cars were void of all mechanical restoration, apparently most of them wouldnt even run. 

Then you get the thing sorted and realise it's horrid to drive and simply trailer it there in your Hymer!

Real men do tents and do a road run sans tools and a spare plug! (aint that right Scootacar?!)    can't beat a slipping clutch, snapped teleflex, duff plug or blocked idle jet to make drive that little bit more interesting!!  (or you could stay at camp and identify what screws are incorrect for "that" year!!!)
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »

Real men do tents

I'm trying to recall who was the only person to do the Peel Rally with a tent whilst all around were tucked up in their campers or in the posh bourding houses on the front.  ;)  Oh yes, I remember now. Wasn't it the one with the red hair who was soon to be knighted for services to lunancy....   ;D

P50

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 04:24:44 PM »

Real men do tents

I'm trying to recall who was the only person to do the Peel Rally with a tent whilst all around were tucked up in their campers or in the posh bourding houses on the front.  ;)  Oh yes, I remember now. Wasn't it the one with the red hair who was soon to be knighted for services to lunancy....   ;D

They don't call him Lord for nowt!  Hardcore to the end.

I think you should drive to Australia in your P50 once roadable.  Probably get there on 200 quid!
-Benvenuto Cellini

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 04:46:52 PM »
 I reckon I could do. After all, I've just counted up how much three weeks in America cost me, & belive it or not, not including the flight out & back, I spent £300!  I suprise myself sometimes at just how much of a spendrift I am!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 05:48:58 PM »
The road run is essential, camping is for boy scouts! Dib Dib!!  Posh boarding house? Oh I like the sound of that!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 07:50:46 PM »
The answer, of course, is to buy a larger campervan.

Sorry I just could not resist the tweak of the tail.

If it is a sore point continue -

It is lack of time to develop a reliable road Micro that effects my attendance at events as ideally the fun is to drive the car there.  Better still is to go with several other guys in convoy. That kind of means camping. It is real minimalist motoring, which is what these cars are about and great fun to do. I will not be persuaded that towing behind campervans, whilst expedient to some due to work commitments, health issues etc, is not a cop out of what microcars are really all about for many. Clearly low powered or plane awkward vehicles are a exception but when presented with Bond Bugs on trailers I cannot really see the point in it.
  This in spite of the secondary problem of folk disappearing into their hutches early in the evening rather than creating a huge social event of all on site as of old. It just does not instil the atmosphere and camaraderie of a large group of Micronauts who are doing serious milage in their steeds. Without that the tips on how to make the stumbling steads present which have not gone through the road development phase for the lack of interest or ability of the owner so remaining forever little used exhibition items. There was a gang of guys who used to be present that often sorted out some of these cars at an event, Johners, Hopscotch, Malcolm Thomas, myself latterly, but many are reluctant to turn up and do this now as you end up under a series of cars rather than doing your own thing. I even had one guy demand I fix his 'schmitt before I did my own car as he thought George owned it and I was some sort of free mechanic to hire - the car bust while George was borrowing it. He wanted to do the road run but had no idea or intention of getting the car going himself. He got abusive when I would not help. Several of the guys had bad experiences similar. So they tend to pick and chose their events and avoid helping now.
  The other thing that has crept in is going home early. We used to leave places like Weston park at 6 pm to get home in our Schmitts and still get to work next day. That drive home in the camper is a chore to be got out of the way, not fun, I suspect.     
  That was why Story was so good, no trade, driving cars preferred, few campers. It drifted away from this in the last years but remained pretty pure. DWAC remain close to it but British attendance has dwindled, why? The scene has changed and I accept it but it does not mean I will participate or organise for people who wish to event in that way. It is for them to organise their own events but we see little evidence of this happening with the same old names on the roll call for rally duty. They have to find large areas in which to hold events due to the support vehicles meaning smaller venues are ruled out. That in itself is telling as to commitment and type of event possible.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs