Author Topic: Messerschmitt KR175 in the good ol' US of A!  (Read 5557 times)

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
Messerschmitt KR175 in the good ol' US of A!
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:37:46 PM »
A very nice KR175 for the price of a good KR200! Think I'll stick with my 200... I value my retinas being attached to the back of my eyes, and don't have shares in a chiropractor !

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C235210
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Re: Messerschmitt KR175 in the good ol' US of A!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:24:18 PM »
Looks a stunning car, just needs simple finishing. I owned & drove a 175 for 9 years, that's enough punishment for anyone. Amazingly my wife Ant fell asleep in the back on the way home from the Godstone club night one month. Either my 175 was super smooth and ultra quiet, or she was overcome by fumes. I think it was the fumes.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 10:45:47 PM »
I like the spacesaver spare wheel. By far the best looking Messerschmitt in my opinion. I take it they're as comfortable to drive as a pneumatic drill?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:00:12 AM »
Compared to a lot of Microcars they are really rather good. It is just the KR200 is so much better! But yes they are very pretty.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »
Never had a ride in a 175 (though I'm open to offers!!!)....but agree on the schmitt front! Been in a Heinkel.. which was fun but was like being sat inside a drum with Ringo Starr playing, and an isetta which felt like being sat in a bonnetless mini with a motorbike engine under the seat! The schmitt is like being sat under a small greenhouse on top of a motorbike, and is so exhilarating even when doing 30 mph!

The message I'd give to any young person is get out of your Honda civic type R's, and Mitsubishi evos and get into a schmitt! they are far more fun, and people will take far more notice of you than some hatchback with a gawdy paint job, big engine and big wheels!!
Late 63' Tiger Nose Schmitt pilot (In need of some TLC) 2004 Smart Roadster wearer (Yes it is a microcar at 698cc!! - Sadly Gone :-( ) Fiat 500 Owner (Tempremental, Poorly Built and with a wiring loom made of chewing gum and Spaghetti!!) and future Isetta or Trojan Owner ( As pocket money permits!!!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Never had a ride in a 175 (though I'm open to offers!!!)....but agree on the schmitt front! Been in a Heinkel.. which was fun but was like being sat inside a drum with Ringo Starr playing, and an isetta which felt like being sat in a bonnetless mini with a motorbike engine under the seat! The schmitt is like being sat under a small greenhouse on top of a motorbike, and is so exhilarating even when doing 30 mph!

The message I'd give to any young person is get out of your Honda civic type R's, and Mitsubishi evos and get into a schmitt! they are far more fun, and people will take far more notice of you than some hatchback with a gawdy paint job, big engine and big wheels!!

Only problem is, there not really your Chick magnets ;)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »

Only problem is, there not really your Chick magnets ;)

Simple answer to that is not to be intrested in girls.  ;)  Problem solved & it leaves more time & money to play with the car.

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:45:06 PM »
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

DrewS

• Chatty
  • Young(ish!!) Micro fan
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 04:15:33 PM »
I'm not knocking Ringo at all, I love the beatles! my KR200 was new when "she loves you" was at number one! I was just using it as a turn of phrase to highlight the drumming noise inside a trienkel when at 40mph!

Indeed it is my hope one day to own a trienkel or isetta , to compliment my schmitt. I agree about the shortcomings you mention... there is another one.. the fact you have to have the top open to lift the tail up! not good when its raining and you breakdown!! totally agree with the steering comment, they do tend to run on the edge of the ruts made in the road by normal cars, so tramlining can be quite bad! Not had to adjust my brakes though. As for attracting girls, I would disagree, there are quite a number of young ladies I know wishing to try the schmitt experience, and they seem to love them more than men do, something about them looking like a frog and being cute... or something! Not very conducive to relations though, a tandem seating arrangement.. indeed anyone with the messerschmitt gold portfolio book, I would recommend turning to one of the first roadtest articles of the KR175.. it has an entertaining contemporary cartoon on this front!!!!! Have to agree with you stuart... microcars are certainly cheaper than girls... and less upkeep lol!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:23:36 PM by DrewS »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54:23 PM »
thats obviously where i have been going wrong over all these years - far too interested in women  ;) thats why i got the gordon , i needed a new chick magnet as my inborn charm was fading - hope it does the job  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:28:59 PM »
thats obviously where i have been going wrong over all these years - far too interested in women  ;) thats why i got the gordon , i needed a new chick magnet as my inborn charm was fading - hope it does the job  ;D

I think this forum isnt meant for chick magnets, I think its rather the opposite ;)
Mopeds:

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:39:20 AM »

I think this forum isnt meant for chick magnets, I think its rather the opposite ;)
I've got one of them on my fridge
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 08:44:07 AM »
[quote author=Stuart Cyphus link=topic=2865.msg17505#msg17505 date=1311687236
Simple answer to that is not to be intrested in girls.  ;)  Problem solved & it leaves more time & money to play with the car.
[/quote]

With a Peel and Invacar it is probably just as well, as having 'South poled' there is little more one can do about transporting them to another plain of existence with one seat per car.

Funnily enough the Goggo saloon appeared to be the best of the bunch as it was a baby car but civilised and non threatening. The ladies do like baby things. Schmitts, sadly, come over as antisocial. I am not totally convinced by the car being a 'chick magnette' in the first place. Those that show interest tend to be those interested in disposable income.... Just a few are petrol heads but petrol is not magnetic and neather am I, bummer.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »

I've got one of them on my fridge

;D
Mopeds: