Author Topic: Is it me, or is this schmitt different?  (Read 5894 times)

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Is it me, or is this schmitt different?
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »
I think Jonathan is right about the dome being too high, they come with the sides oversized, the owner didn't trim enough off before fitting.

Don't forget also, that there is two differant heights of domes between original early & late KR200's. Very early cars are apprently a good bit lower in the dome profile than after a certain date which I don't yet know.  Of course all repro domes are apparently based on the later, high profile, so the correct early low cars are getting few & far between to observe now.....  

Also, with the reckoning of the sides of a dome not having been trimed enough, thus resulting in a high profile, am I right in thinking the sides of a dome are actully angled outwards towards the bottom, therefore all of them HAVE to be trimmed to within fairly tight, uniform tolarances in order to fit the frame in the first place? I would have thought the distance involved would only be about a quarter of an inch maximum between limits, & so not noticeble from three steps away outside the car?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 02:51:15 PM by Stuart Cyphus »

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: Is it me, or is this schmitt different?
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »
I think Jonathan is right about the dome being too high, they come with the sides oversized, the owner didn't trim enough off before fitting.

Don't forget also, that there is two differant heights of domes between original early & late KR200's. Very early cars are apprently a good bit lower in the dome profile than after a certain date which I don't yet know.  Of course all repro domes are apparently based on the later, high profile, so the correct early low cars are getting few & far between to observe now.....  

Also, with the reckoning of the sides of a dome not having been trimed enough, thus resulting in a high profile, am I right in thinking the sides of a dome are actully angled outwards towards the bottom, therefore all of them HAVE to be trimmed to within fairly tight, uniform tolarances in order to fit the frame in the first place? I would have thought the distance involved would only be about a quarter of an inch maximum between limits, & so not noticeble from three steps away outside the car?

Very late reply, BUT very early 200's had foldabled domes. I saw a video (which I canot share, severe copyright problems) and you saw a very early schmitt ( I saw the real car, same one) and in the video they literally "roll up" the dome!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi