Author Topic: British Anzani  (Read 2178 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
British Anzani
« on: November 20, 2011, 03:36:06 PM »
autojumbling today and amongst other things bought operating instructions for 242cc and 322cc  anzani two stroke , rotary valve engines on the basis that i thought one or two micro's used them . surprised to find used by Norman,Cotton,Viscount two wheelers and Jarc,Astra Gill,Powerdrive,Fairthorpe,Berkeley,Manxcar and lastly Opperman ! Quite a list . ( total production figures for all combined would be Very few ) Were they any good cant think i've ever heard one .
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 08:25:34 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: British Anzani
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:05:10 AM »
Talking to those that know there is good reason to say the Anzani was a better engine than the Excelsior that replaced it in most installations. The unit has a rotary valve but of course required some understanding to rebuild and maintain. The Excelsior is more basic. Its plus and minus is that it comes completely apart including the crankshaft. This was fine if you had the skills and ability to rebuild it correctly. The trouble is many people thought they had but did not so many a crappo engine still lurk out there. For myself I have never had a reliable Excelsior that I loved. It was a case of waiting for the next problem. The two Anzani cars I had, Opperman Punicar and Berkeley, both ran reasonably will and would actually start when asked without lots of fiddling about. However neither these nor any of the Excelsior machines got daily use so ultimately I can only go on what the old hands told me and my meddling experience.
Interestingly I had quite good contacts with Dave Chapman at Dolphin Marine Engines. This unit started life as a marine version of these engines. It gained water cooling and eventually he had the engine redesigned into a fully jacketed water cooled unit still using the dynostrater and Siba electrics. The final version did away with the Siba parts to go to solid state. He sold the company some 10 years ago when I bought him out of Siba spares. It is, in theory then, possible to get a water cooled modified engine to then fit into a Microcar thus solving one of the big problems of these engines in half the installations, cooling. The later units also gave more power. I leave you to ponder if water cooled twins really belong in the MIcrocar world, all that extra weight.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:00 AM »
Given the choice I would go for the Anzarni, if one got Bleriot across the channel its good enough for me!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:50:49 AM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 04:32:09 PM »
 :D :D :D :D then again balloons were the first aircraft but i dont fancy going to torremolenos , watneys red barrel, in one
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:34:40 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977