Author Topic: Tony's Messerschmitt  (Read 46240 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

NickPoll

• Quite Chatty
Re: Tony's Messerschmitt
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 12:04:33 PM »
It's a shame to see Tony is selling 503 RKE. It was the first Messerschmitt I saw in regular use in about 1978. I was 17 years old at that time and had my Isetta on the road. I would attend the Cadnam club night and Tony would be the with RKE.
Messerschmitt Tiger 500, KR201 roadster, 1955 KR200, 1958 KR200, 1959 KR200, 1964 KR200, Nobel 200, Morgan Super Sports, Goggo Coupe, Isetta 300, Velorex 350, Bond mk D, Lomax.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 04:27:39 PM »
Shame he's selling it, but hope it finds a good home and is nicely restored.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 10:29:57 AM »
 Had hoped it was a storage prob but apparently not so cannot prevent the sale. Rural France is a great place to drive a 'Schmitt as transport too.

I have an ex Tony car in GYC, my cabrio, which is lined up to be restored into the collection as it is just beyond conserving. It would take a good cabrio to change my plans as the history just adds a little to the ownership. Most of my collection have some known history back to respected folk or known dealers and I kind of like that. The cars are grounded and are very much only passing time in my ownership before they pass beyond me in time to other people who may not even know they are interested in MIcrocars yet. Over restoration, selling or loosing numbers etc spoil that grounded spirit I like in a car. I am not sure it has a recoup-able value in the new market but as a traditional collector it does to me.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:22:17 AM »
reserve not met

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »
Yes, not surprising really as you would have to spend another 5K to restore it fully and you can buy a restored one for 10-12k at the moment. I dare say Tony was testing the water.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
Yes, not surprising really as you would have to spend another 5K to restore it fully and you can buy a restored one for 10-12k at the moment. I dare say Tony was testing the water.

10-12k for a restored one? I dont really check them out often, but surely they go nearer 15k?

Only one way to tell, add a bit more than this ends for (can't read german, but mayb be a replica, looks like fibreglass panels)
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Messerschmitt-KR-200-/110796883086?pt=Automobile&hash=item19cc02448e#ht_542wt_1392
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
If I could get my Isetta restored (properly) for £5000 I would write a cheque out today........

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
I fear Tony made the error of not really showing the floor damage and describing the extent of the work. His previous sales have featured some grim but still usable items and they sold reasonably well. Sadly for a car this approach does not work so well as the risk is higher and many of the buyers are different. They will look to get the car restored rather than be doing the restoration themselves. Most assume the worst on floors. Did he have any viewings, they are serious punters?
As described I thought it was on about the money. My theory is it is actually a bit better than described and not reaching reserve would suggest I am correct. It is quite possible to restore a 'Schmitt for less than £5,000 from that car if you use the market opportunities and do the work yourself. Start paying premium prices and buying in work and the price rises. However if you are taking the trouble to restore a car it would be assumed that it is because you want the car not the money at the end of the process. We are back to worth and value, two different things. It is telling that the majority of people who express an opinion are more interested in the values achievable on selling than any other aspect of cars that come up for sale. I am no different but then my background despite retirement is well known to most so should come as no surprise. Especially as it is coming time to clear out a few projects I will never get round to and the fact I have exhausted all but three leads on cars I might consider buying in. I am nearly out of the game as a buyer and that only to replace cars from the core collection.

Interesting the yellow 10K GRP car in Bedford area sold pronto for around its asking price, one assumes. Which car would cost most to get correct A1 condition?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
 Tony Might not like me blabbing this, but it might stop a few here making all sorts of assumptions. I was on the phone to him last night & he has taken the top bid, received the money in full within hours and the car departs today for the West coast of Ireland. Not too far in fact from where his old Trident, FYF 17C now lurks....

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
I fear Tony made the error of not really showing the floor damage and describing the extent of the work. His previous sales have featured some grim but still usable items and they sold reasonably well. Sadly for a car this approach does not work so well as the risk is higher and many of the buyers are different. They will look to get the car restored rather than be doing the restoration themselves. Most assume the worst on floors. Did he have any viewings, they are serious punters?
As described I thought it was on about the money. My theory is it is actually a bit better than described and not reaching reserve would suggest I am correct. It is quite possible to restore a 'Schmitt for less than £5,000 from that car if you use the market opportunities and do the work yourself. Start paying premium prices and buying in work and the price rises. However if you are taking the trouble to restore a car it would be assumed that it is because you want the car not the money at the end of the process. We are back to worth and value, two different things. It is telling that the majority of people who express an opinion are more interested in the values achievable on selling than any other aspect of cars that come up for sale. I am no different but then my background despite retirement is well known to most so should come as no surprise. Especially as it is coming time to clear out a few projects I will never get round to and the fact I have exhausted all but three leads on cars I might consider buying in. I am nearly out of the game as a buyer and that only to replace cars from the core collection.

Interesting the yellow 10K GRP car in Bedford area sold pronto for around its asking price, one assumes. Which car would cost most to get correct A1 condition?

Everyone has different circumstances.
I would love to restore my Isetta myself but I have a family of four children with GCSE's etc. coming.  I guess it would take me about ten years (and much neglect of other duties).
So if I want a fully and properly restored car it's better to get it done by someone else and watch over the standard of restoration.
I am close to a solution with my Isetta with one highly skilled person looking after the chassis and another dealing with the body and paint.  I will need someone experienced to attend to the engine and transmission.
Even this approach will involve many hours of stripping, transporting and reassembly.
The option to buy a 'restored' car is very dangerous unless you know exactly what the history is.
The other issue is money.  If I can earn more than the person doing the work then it would be madness to do it myself.

I am not interested in the final value provided it is not less than the money spent.
The key thing is to get the car on the road for driving enjoyment as quickly as possible.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 01:35:46 PM »
If I could get my Isetta restored (properly) for £5000 I would write a cheque out today........

I wasnt including labour, doing the work ones self.  Having said that I spent 7k doing my schmitt but I am fussy!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 01:44:26 PM »
"I am not interested in the final value provided it is not less than the money spent."

Unfortunately many restorations do cost more than the vehicle is worth! Especially motorcycles.

Daniel Rodd

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
if you only do it for the money then you are doing it for all the wrong reasons.
there would be no micros(or indeed many classic vehicles) here at all if people didnt rescue and restore them when they were WORTHLESS.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 03:38:49 PM »
is it for me to point out that daniels a Reliant enthusiast  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977